Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2015, 09:10 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by medellinheel View Post
How do I know? Many reasons.

You already pointed out one. More adherents. If someone asks what is the best search engine, I would recommend Google. Why, because it is the most used / popular.

I am putting my stake with the best odds. And Christianity is without a doubt the best "bet".
But what if Islam becomes the #1 religion in the world? It's growing faster than Christianity.

Did you bother to click on the link I provided above?

Don't forget that "faith alone" is a doctrine exclusive to conservative Protestantism. Most Christians believe that faith alone is not enough to avoid hell.

You are not as safe as you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 09:11 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,217,639 times
Quote:
What you smoking?

It most certainly is different.

How about quoting and refuting any of the points I made about it.
You do realise you are preaching to the ex choir? Beleive it or not, the guys are just trying to make you use your rational mind. You do not seem to uber fundie.

If you detest religion and follow the edicts of jesus, then you should follow ALL of them, stuff like hating brothers, mothers if needed, giving all to charity and becoming poor yet rich in spirit - to name a few.

I do not think you are any different in day to day life than any atheist here, bearing in mind most of us were like you concerning beliefs but came to our senses.

So far, the atheists have a better handle on scriptures than you do. Your born again requirement is something most of us went through, particularly me. It is a mindset indoctrination and the fact I deconverted and am uber anti religious means that experience is as made up as the god you think you believe in.

There is no hell nor a heaven. I can state this emphatically as NO ONE has EVER come back from the dead barring anecdotal testimonies and made up embellished NDEs or OOBEs, all of which are a product of a LIVING brain.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:27 PM

675 posts, read 544,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
But what if Islam becomes the #1 religion in the world? It's growing faster than Christianity.

Did you bother to click on the link I provided above?

Don't forget that "faith alone" is a doctrine exclusive to conservative Protestantism. Most Christians believe that faith alone is not enough to avoid hell.

You are not as safe as you think.
We can play the but / what if game all day long. However, I tend to go on the reality of the situation.

Define Faith?

Seems to be varying definitions of "Faith" within Christian circles.

Depending on the definition one uses I also would not believe Faith alone is enough. Then again if we use another definition, I would agree Faith alone is enough.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
You do realise you are preaching to the ex choir? Beleive it or not, the guys are just trying to make you use your rational mind. You do not seem to uber fundie.

If you detest religion and follow the edicts of jesus, then you should follow ALL of them, stuff like hating brothers, mothers if needed, giving all to charity and becoming poor yet rich in spirit - to name a few.
Its best to focus on the main pillars, then gradually grow from there.

Btw you have some quotes where God commands me to hate my brother, give all to charity, etc etc.

Quote:
I do not think you are any different in day to day life than any atheist here, bearing in mind most of us were like you concerning beliefs but came to our senses.

So far, the atheists have a better handle on scriptures than you do. Your born again requirement is something most of us went through, particularly me. It is a mindset indoctrination and the fact I deconverted and am uber anti religious means that experience is as made up as the god you think you believe in.
Your opinion and is not based on any scripture. The Bible clearly defines "Born Again". We do not need to guess what it is / means.

Quote:
There is no hell nor a heaven. I can state this emphatically as NO ONE has EVER come back from the dead barring anecdotal testimonies and made up embellished NDEs or OOBEs, all of which are a product of a LIVING brain.
No, you merely think there is no heaven or hell. No on coming back from the dead /= x not existing.

Evidence is not a pre-req for the Truth.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
We can play the but / what if game all day long. However, I tend to go on the reality of the situation.

Define Faith?

Seems to be varying definitions of "Faith" within Christian circles.

Depending on the definition one uses I also would not believe Faith alone is enough. Then again if we use another definition, I would agree Faith alone is enough.
The reality of the situation is this: your beliefs are a minority in Christianity. And if Islam is true, you will spend eternity in hell for worshipping three persons as one God.

But that can't be true right? If it were, you'd be terrified.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
The reality of the situation is this: your beliefs are a minority in Christianity. And if Islam is true, you will spend eternity in hell for worshipping three persons as one God.

But that can't be true right? If it were, you'd be terrified.
What belief of mine exactly is a minority in Christianity?

Mohammed never performed and miracles and was a pedophile war monger. I am pretty confident in the assertion he was nothing more than a charlatan.

I am confident in my "bet" with Christianity.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
What belief of mine exactly is a minority in Christianity?
That faith alone is enough to keep you out of hell. Most Christians believe that good works are also necessary.

Quote:
Mohammed never performed and miracles and was a pedophile war monger. I am pretty confident in the assertion he was nothing more than a charlatan.

I am confident in my "bet" with Christianity.
1.6 billion Muslims disagree. Your confidence is not warranted. Think about it. What if you are wrong and they are right?

Old 01-28-2015, 09:59 PM

157 posts, read 101,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
if god wants people to know he exists why not just show himself?
or at least send one of his representatives (angels) to appear before man?
to leave no doubt in anyone's mind that he is real? what is he afraid of?

that way no one can have any doubt. because as it stands there is still
not one shred of proof god exists beyond people's imagination and superstition.

You might sin, and that is why He doen’t come seeing you in person. The most He might does was that He comes in a dream.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
That faith alone is enough to keep you out of hell. Most Christians believe that good works are also necessary.
I already covered this. I also agree that Faith (simply believing the existence of God/Jesus) is not enough.

Faith without works is dead.

Quote:
1.6 billion Muslims disagree. Your confidence is not warranted. Think about it. What if you are wrong and they are right?
More Christians than Muslims / Islamists.

What if they are wrong and I am right? We can play the what if game all day long.

I am putting my chips in with the most likely valid deity. Which is without question the Christian God. Which is evident by the numbers.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:52 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
...snip...

I am putting my chips in with the most likely valid deity. Which is without question the Christian God. Which is evident by the numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality