Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 03:06 PM

675 posts, read 544,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
If billions of people put faith in the Eternal Grilled Cheese Sandwich would you also?
I tend to dwell in reality.

As my mom always said, we can play the "but / what if" game until the cows come home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 03:11 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medellinheel View Post
I tend to dwell in reality.

As my mom always said, we can play the "but / what if" game until the cows come home.
You're begging the question.

How do you know the Christian God is reality and the Eternal Grilled Cheese Sandwich is not reality? The evidence is exactly the same for both.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
You're begging the question.

How do you know the Christian God is reality and the Eternal Grilled Cheese Sandwich is not reality? The evidence is exactly the same for both.
That was not what I meant by reality.

When I said reality I meant its a reality over a billion people are followers of Christ.

I do not play the "but / what if" game for obvious reasons.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
That was not what I meant by reality.

When I said reality I meant its a reality over a billion people are followers of Christ.

I do not play the "but / what if" game for obvious reasons.
So you're believing in something mainly because lots of people believe it? And yet you say that 100s of millions of people can be wrong, even when they sincerely believe.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:33 PM

Quote:
So you're believing in something mainly because lots of people believe it? And yet you say that 100s of millions of people can be wrong, even when they sincerely believe.
Putting words in my mouth. Never said that was "why" I believed. I was merely pointing out a fact ie number of followers.

I believe simply because something can not come from nothing. Thus there is some supernatural thing at play. Christianity appeals to me the most of all the supernatural explanations.

Hope that clarifies things for you.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:42 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,151 times
Quote:
Putting words in my mouth. Never said that was "why" I believed. I was merely pointing out a fact ie number of followers.

I believe simply because something can not come from nothing. Thus there is some supernatural thing at play. Christianity appeals to me the most of all the supernatural explanations.

1. How do you know this?
2. This is the argument from ignorance. Because I don't know the answer, I will assert "the supernatural".

Old 01-29-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
1. How do you know this?
2. This is the argument from ignorance. Because I don't know the answer, I will assert "the supernatural".
Its physically impossible.

Every tangible thing known to man came from something or was a result of something.

In any event, we are both using faith. You are putting faith in something that is not proven or has ever been replicated (something from nothing). While I am putting faith in God.

We havent even touched on the consequences of our beliefs being wrong yet.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:

If there is a "supernatural thing," why couldn't it be Allah, Ahura Mazda, Thor, or an Eternal Grilled Cheese Sandwich?

You won't even consider that you may be worshipping the wrong God.

"That can't be true Lisa...if it were, I'd be terrified!"
-- Homer Simpson

Old 01-29-2015, 03:54 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,127,000 times
Quote:
Hearing about him is simply hearing about him and understanding who he is and his message.
And what is the message of Jesus other than Matt 19?

Quote:
Conversion rate is small regardless of anything. For God said the road is narrow and only a few will make it.
So if the message is the one in Matt 19, that is something people would already have written in their hearts, as Paul puts it. People who follow that and never heard of Jesus are OK with God. But if the message is something other than that and it requires something else on top of Matt 19, is that not making it harder to be OK with God? In that case, with conversion rates so low, informing people of Jesus would then be counter-productive in spreading salvation.

Quote:
How does one live a sinful lifestyle without choosing it? We do have free will right?

If I get drunk every weekend or am in an adulterous relationship I am willingly deliberately choosing to sin.

As I told you, you need to understand the difference between a simple random sin "from time to time" and living a sinful lifestyle. Two very different things.
You are the one who keeps bringing up a sinful life style, which implies no sincere repentance and no sincere effort to change. If one does sincerely repent and does sincerely work on doing better, but later backslides, further sincere repentance and effort can lead to further forgiveness. But there are those on this site who say that once one is born again one will not only never sin again but actually be unable to sin. That is the point I am aiming to debunk. (Please understand I am not saying you say this.) I already quoted Paul that anyone who claims to be without sin is a liar.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:56 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,151 times
Quote:
Its physically impossible.

Every tangible thing known to man came from something or was a result of something.

In any event, we are both using faith. You are putting faith in something that is not proven or has ever been replicated (something from nothing). While I am putting faith in God.

We havent even touched on the consequences of our beliefs being wrong yet.
How do you know that, because you haven't observed it? The underlined text is crucial.

I'm not saying it can, but I'm also not saying it can't. I have no faith one way or another. At least you admit your beliefs are based on faith because many will not. They'll try to suggest that they have evidence for what they believe. I just hope that you don't make your other decisions based on faith, like what doctor to send your children to or what house/car to buy. You might get burned finacially, or even worse, physically harmed in some way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality