Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2015, 05:53 PM

675 posts, read 546,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post
As Paul said, if Jesus was not raised from the dead, if there is no resurrection of the dead, then faith is in vain. Faith is in the promise of resurrection. The gift of salvation comes from doing what Jesus said to do to get eternal life. Rejecting Jesus is rejecting what Jesus said to do and therefore rejecting the possibility of eternal life. It is really very simple.
I assumed it was already a given we recognize Jesus being raised from the dead etc etc.

That is part of what we are putting faith in.

The gift of salvation comes from simply

1) Having Faith in Jesus / God as described in the Bible
2) Repenting of your sins
3) Becoming born again

Yes, Jesus said to do the above, thus if you reject the above, you are rejecting salvation.

Last edited by medellinheel; 01-28-2015 at 06:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
One of the worst sins in Islam is assigning partners to God or in any way compromising the oneness of God. The Islamic term for this sin is "shirk." Every time you pray in the name of Jesus or worship the Trinity, you commit this grave sin in Islam. You can read more about it here.

And yes, Islam has a hell for all those who do not repent of that sin before death. So by worshipping the Trinity, you are in danger of hell if Allah is the true God and Mohammed is Allah's Final Prophet.
I am in danger of hell with the Christian God as well.

Christianity has more validity than the Islam.

Thus I will put my stock with the Christian God.

Last edited by medellinheel; 01-28-2015 at 06:11 PM..

Old 01-28-2015, 06:23 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,131,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medellinheel View Post
I assumed it was already a given we recognize Jesus being raised from the dead etc etc.

That is part of what we are putting faith in.

The gift of salvation comes from simply

1) Having Faith in Jesus / God as described in the Bible
2) Repenting of your sins
3) Becoming born again

Yes, Jesus said to do the above, thus if you reject they above you rejecting salvation.
What does it mean to have faith in Jesus independently of doing what Jesus wants done. John 15 Jesus says if you love him keep his commands and he will love you. What commands did Jesus give? Matthew 19. And note that in Mark's nearly identical presentation of that episode, when the man says he has kept the commands Jesus stated, Mark tells us that Jesus loved him. And going back to John 15 Jesus gives the explicit command to love one anther, just like Matthew tells us Jesus said. Believing in Jesus is believing in what he said to do and that there will be a future reward for that.

Repentance is all over the NT. Yes one must repent of the sins that one does commit to be forgiven of them.

Becoming born again. Is this any different than repenting of past sins and resolving to do better? If it is something else, exactly what is it? Recall that Nicodemus, a teacher of scriptures, was expected to get some unstated reference. The idea of repentance and seeking to no longer sin is all over the Jewish scriptures. If that is not it, then what was the reference Nicodemus should have gotten?

Old 01-28-2015, 06:27 PM

18,548 posts, read 9,238,261 times
Quote:
I am in danger of hell with the Christian God as well.

Christianity has more validity than the Islam.

Thus I will put my stock with the Christian God.
How do you know Christianity has more validity than Islam?

There are 1.6 billion Muslims in the world today. There are 2.2 billion Christians in the world today (the majority of which are Roman Catholic or Eastern Orthodox and do not believe in the absolute assurance of salvation).

Even though it's a false premise, let's assume that the probability of a religion being true is directly proportional to the number of adherents. That gives you a 58% chance of being right, and a 42% chance of being wrong.

Hmmm...42%...that seems like an uncomfortably high chance of ending up in a hell for eternity.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
What does it mean to have faith in Jesus independently of doing what Jesus wants done. John 15 Jesus says if you love him keep his commands and he will love you. What commands did Jesus give? Matthew 19. And note that in Mark's nearly identical presentation of that episode, when the man says he has kept the commands Jesus stated, Mark tells us that Jesus loved him. And going back to John 15 Jesus gives the explicit command to love one anther, just like Matthew tells us Jesus said. Believing in Jesus is believing in what he said to do and that there will be a future reward for that.

Repentance is all over the NT. Yes one must repent of the sins that one does commit to be forgiven of them.

Becoming born again. Is this any different than repenting of past sins and resolving to do better? If it is something else, exactly what is it? Recall that Nicodemus, a teacher of scriptures, was expected to get some unstated reference. The idea of repentance and seeking to no longer sin is all over the Jewish scriptures. If that is not it, then what was the reference Nicodemus should have gotten?
Easy, I can have faith in Jesus/God (in that they exist) and not follow his commandments / instructions.

That is only part of it. You must do a step of things. Which I outlined already.

Yes, becoming born again is certainly different than simply repenting of your sins and resolving to do better. Becoming born again is turning from your sinful lifestyle. One that willingly dilleberatly keeps sinning and simply asking for repentance every day/week is not born again. He is still living a sinful lifestyle.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
How do you know Christianity has more validity than Islam?

There are 1.6 billion Muslims in the world today. There are 2.2 billion Christians in the world today (the majority of which are Roman Catholic or Eastern Orthodox and do not believe in the absolute assurance of salvation).

Even though it's a false premise, let's assume that the probability of a religion being true is directly proportional to the number of adherents. That gives you a 58% chance of being right, and a 42% chance of being wrong.

Hmmm...42%...that seems like an uncomfortably high chance of ending up in a hell for eternity.
How do I know? Many reasons.

You already pointed out one. More adherents. If someone asks what is the best search engine, I would recommend Google. Why, because it is the most used / popular.

I am putting my stake with the best odds. And Christianity is without a doubt the best "bet".

Old 01-28-2015, 08:53 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,318,758 times
Quote:
...snip...

Becoming born again. Is this any different than repenting of past sins and resolving to do better? ...snip...
No, it is not.

And anyone can do it - God-belief or no god-belief.

Anyone and everyone with a conscience has felt the pang of knowingly - or recognizing at a later date - doing/having-done, wrong.

And feeling badly about it.And hopefully, trying to make amends for it. To the wronged, if possible, to the Universe, if not.

The Universe appreciates balance.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
No, it is not.

And anyone can do it - God-belief or no god-belief.

Anyone and everyone with a conscience has felt the pang of knowingly - or recognizing at a later date - doing/having-done, wrong.

And feeling badly about it.And hopefully, trying to make amends for it. To the wronged, if possible, to the Universe, if not.

The Universe appreciates balance.

What you smoking?

It most certainly is different.

How about quoting and refuting any of the points I made about it.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:00 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,318,758 times
Quote:
What you smoking?

It most certainly is different.

How about quoting and refuting any of the points I made about it.
I believe my post addressed a point made by Alt Thinker, not you.

What you seein'?

It ain't about what I wrote.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I believe my post addressed a point made by Alt Thinker, not you.

What you seein'?

It ain't about what I wrote.

I already showed his point to be invalid and not logical.

Like him you are more than welcome to address the points I made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality