Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2015, 04:37 PM

18,513 posts, read 9,194,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by medellinheel View Post
What did Ahura Mazda say will happen to unbelievers?
They will meet an old woman who will lead them across the end of a narrow bridge, where they will fall off into the abyss of hell. For real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 04:40 PM

675 posts, read 545,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
They will meet an old woman who will lead them across the end of a narrow bridge, where they will fall off into the abyss of hell. For real.
link/quote?

Old 01-28-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
link/quote?
Here you go:

Chinvat Bridge

Zoroastrianism

Old 01-28-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
hmmm

Quote:
If a person's good thoughts, words and deeds in life are many, the bridge will be wide enough to cross, and the Daena, a spirit representing revelation, will appear and lead the soul into the House of Song. Those souls that successfully cross the bridge are united with Ahura Mazda.
Says here that if I am a good person and do good deeds I will cross the bridge and be united with Mazda...

Old 01-28-2015, 05:04 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,128,739 times
Quote:
The Bible repeatedly contrasts faith and works.

https://carm.org/are-we-saved-faith-...need-works-too
Once again, the ‘works’ being referenced are the rituals and observances of Jewish law (‘works of the LAW), that Paul argues cannot be forced on Gentiles. Faith is that there will be a future resurrection as promised by the resurrection of Jesus

1 Corinthians 15
3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,

It is not just the sacrifice that is important, it is also the resurrection.

12 But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14 And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith.

Without the truth of the resurrection, faith is useless.

20 But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man.

Jesus being raised from the dead is proof of the promise that there will be a resurrection. That is the object of faith – the promise of a resurrection. But what comes after? Who will receive eternal life? According to Jesus it is those who do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor their parents, and love their neighbors as themselves. (Matt 19)

Quote:
Nope, if you reject Jesus / God then it doesn't matter what or how many good deeds or works you have done.

You have to reject God / Jesus in order to forgo salvation, thus people that never heard of Jesus cant not possibly reject something of which they know nothing about. But to that point, pretty sure God said he reveals himself to everyone (in some manner) through nature. Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

None the less, God is just and will be the judge on those people.

When I say faith vs works I am mainly talking about people that know of God.

What is meant by believing?

Putting faith in Jesus/God, repenting for your sins, and becoming born again.
Rejecting Jesus means rejecting what Jesus said to do – live morally and charitably. Those who do not, those who ignore what is ‘written in their hearts’ (Rom 2) will not receive eternal life. Those that do, will. That is what Jesus said. That is what Paul said. And as you quoted from Paul, everyone knows of God in the sense of knowing right from wrong. The same rules apply to everyone and those rules are about action.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
hmmm

Says here that if I am a good person and do good deeds I will cross the bridge and be united with Mazda...
I honestly don't know what Ahura Mazda thinks about worshipping other gods. Maybe you are safe even if you worship Yahweh.

According to Pascal's Wager, it looks like one must worship whichever god has the worst hell.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post
Once again, the ‘works’ being referenced are the rituals and observances of Jewish law (‘works of the LAW), that Paul argues cannot be forced on Gentiles. Faith is that there will be a future resurrection as promised by the resurrection of Jesus

1 Corinthians 15
3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,

It is not just the sacrifice that is important, it is also the resurrection.

12 But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14 And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith.

Without the truth of the resurrection, faith is useless.

20 But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. 21 For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man.

Jesus being raised from the dead is proof of the promise that there will be a resurrection. That is the object of faith – the promise of a resurrection. But what comes after? Who will receive eternal life? According to Jesus it is those who do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor their parents, and love their neighbors as themselves. (Matt 19)

Rejecting Jesus means rejecting what Jesus said to do – live morally and charitably. Those who do not, those who ignore what is ‘written in their hearts’ (Rom 2) will not receive eternal life. Those that do, will. That is what Jesus said. That is what Paul said. And as you quoted from Paul, everyone knows of God in the sense of knowing right from wrong. The same rules apply to everyone and those rules are about action.
Not getting your reference to Jesus rising after death. Pretty much agreed that you are to believe Jesus was sent to die for our sins and rose again (Faith in Jesus / God)

Rejecting Jesus is simply rejecting his his gift of salvation.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I honestly don't know what Ahura Mazda thinks about worshipping other gods. Maybe you are safe even if you worship Yahweh.
My point exactly. From that text / quote it appears I am safe if Mazda is the real God and I worship Jesus.

Quote:
According to Pascal's Wager, it looks like one must worship whichever god has the worst hell.

Thats only half of it.

Like with anything you need to research and see which "religion" has the most validity at the same time measuring probable consequences and rewards.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:19 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,128,739 times
Quote:
Not getting your reference to Jesus rising after death. Pretty much agreed that you are to believe Jesus was sent to die for our sins and rose again (Faith in Jesus / God)

Rejecting Jesus is simply rejecting his his gift of salvation.
As Paul said, if Jesus was not raised from the dead, if there is no resurrection of the dead, then faith is in vain. Faith is in the promise of resurrection. The gift of salvation comes from doing what Jesus said to do to get eternal life. Rejecting Jesus is rejecting what Jesus said to do and therefore rejecting the possibility of eternal life. It is really very simple.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
My point exactly. From that text / quote it appears I am safe if Mazda is the real God and I worship Jesus.

Thats only half of it.

Like with anything you need to research and see which "religion" has the most validity at the same time measuring probable consequences and rewards.
One of the worst sins in Islam is assigning partners to God or in any way compromising the oneness of God. The Islamic term for this sin is "shirk." Every time you pray in the name of Jesus or worship the Trinity, you commit this grave sin in Islam. You can read more about it here.

And yes, Islam has a hell for all those who do not repent of that sin before death. So by worshipping the Trinity, you are in danger of hell if Allah is the true God and Mohammed is Allah's Final Prophet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality