Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,918,176 times

Advertisements

I got a disappointing letter from the city about an issue that needed some attention in the neighborhood area. I now need to continue to deal with them and refresh their memories of what they have been doing in the past and why is it that they don’t want to continue. I dislike having to explain the same issue over and over to city departments. So it’s make more phone calls and attend more meetings in an effort to resolve the issue.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:07 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,257,119 times
Text from Kitty: Help!

Old 01-10-2012, 10:08 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,837,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty_FL View Post
Text from Kitty: Help!

We are here to help you, fear not Kitty

Old 01-10-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I got a disappointing letter from the city about an issue that needed some attention in the neighborhood area. I now need to continue to deal with them and refresh their memories of what they have been doing in the past and why is it that they don’t want to continue. I dislike having to explain the same issue over and over to city departments. So it’s make more phone calls and attend more meetings in an effort to resolve the issue.
That's bureaucracy. One hand never knows what the other hand is doing. I know it will work out for you. You have the persistence (which is a very good thing) to make it all come together.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:12 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,044,688 times
I was offered a lucrative job opportunity two days per week which required a convoluted commute in order to be there by 8am ... I just found out this morning that one of the trains schedules were changed and now the train leaves 8 minutes later causing me to cut it close to my connection ... Fortunately, I made it to the station early and had time to walk to the bus stop only to have construction blocking the stop, which forced me to walk a long block to the next stop on an extremely uneven sidewalk .... I was so frazzled by the time I got into work and that feeling lasted nearly the entire day! I can't stand the lack of commuter rail service in my area and can't wait for the day when I can relocate closer to work ....

Because of this 8-minute change, I now don't have much leeway and I hate arriving late to work when I have appointments. Now I'll have to ask my supervisor if I could change my schedule to 8:30am-5pm but that means I'll get home a full hour later due to missing the last direct train of the night ... This is NOT a great start for the semester ...

Old 01-10-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I was offered a lucrative job opportunity two days per week which required a convoluted commute in order to be there by 8am ... I just found out this morning that one of the trains schedules were changed and now the train leaves 8 minutes later causing me to cut it close to my connection ... Fortunately, I made it to the station early and had time to walk to the bus stop only to have construction blocking the stop, which forced me to walk a long block to the next stop on an extremely uneven sidewalk .... I was so frazzled by the time I got into work and that feeling lasted nearly the entire day! I can't stand the lack of commuter rail service in my area and can't wait for the day when I can relocate closer to work ....

Because of this 8-minute change, I now don't have much leeway and I hate arriving late to work when I have appointments. Now I'll have to ask my supervisor if I could change my schedule to 8:30am-5pm but that means I'll get home a full hour later due to missing the last direct train of the night ... This is NOT a great start for the semester ...
Sorry to hear that Chatteress. I really hope it works out for you. I am sure your supervisor will understand. It's hard to ask though, but remember you were their first choice. I am sure they will not mind when you explain the situation.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:28 PM

Sorry to hear about the 8 minute change. That’s terrible ,,, maybe you can take a shorter lunch break and keep your time at the end of the day the same so you get home quicker?

Old 01-10-2012, 09:39 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,044,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
Sorry to hear that Chatteress. I really hope it works out for you. I am sure your supervisor will understand. It's hard to ask though, but remember you were their first choice. I am sure they will not mind when you explain the situation.
Actually, I'm not their FIRST choice as the shifts are offered according to seniority ... I was grateful to get the 8 hour shift all on one day but would hate to start coming in late as I usually don't get selected for these assignments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Sorry to hear about the 8 minute change. That’s terrible ,,, maybe you can take a shorter lunch break and keep your time at the end of the day the same so you get home quicker?
I wish it were that easy but I'm blocked out in 30 minute increments for student appointments so I literally need to BE there at 8am with my computer up and running in order to see my first appointment ... Skipping lunch is not an option as I can't go a full 8-hour shift without eating and can't eat while I'm counseling ... It looks like I'll have to request the 8:30-5pm but that just means that my evening commute will be 3 hours versus the two due to missing the last direct train in the evenings. That's what I get for living in the city and working in suburbia 40 miles from home but I LOVE what I do and they pay well.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:43 PM

^^ Bummer !

Old 01-11-2012, 03:35 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,201,945 times
This has nothing to do with me but since I have a great deal of admiration for the work that they performed, this burned me up. I worked late last night on a big project and a tight deadline as a result of 2 co-workers being on vacation and when I leave at night I usually exchange pleasantries with the night custodian. Last night the custodian and I were talking about the BCS game. The custodian just completed mopping the floor in one of the "side" hallways.

Someone enters through the side hallway door and walks on the freshly mopped floor and tracks the floor with mud. That wasn't the issue, the issue the janitor and I had was after the S.O.B walked across the floor, he looked at the janitor and said "just look at it as job security" and started laughing.

I guess he's trying to say, as long as the floor is dirty the custodian will always have a job. Okay, I do understand that and so did the custodian, but folks, don't patronize people like that. There is nothing cute about it at all. It really shows how low class you are. The custodian and I looked at each other and said "what can you say".

We live in a society in which people no longer practice any sort of humility nor respect for people.

Have a great day.......... and say "Hi" to the janitor today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics