Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2012, 08:48 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,250,958 times

Advertisements

Spiderman really was here! Yesterday I finally found the spot. One of the options for drawing out venom is garlic so I put garlic on the spot and covered with a bandaid, did another at bedtime. Swelling was gone yesterday and today there's only a faintness of red remaining. I can still see a trace of the first thing that appeared before it swelled Wednesday which is a streak that runs from beginning of wrist to halfway up the forearm. That now makes sense because the bite is right on the wrist at base of thumb. The large poofs of swelling were at the bite area and at the end of the streak. What I read while browsing is that most spiders are not poisonous to humans but *all* spiders have venom. I must take a break from the project and go for plenty of WD40 to spray around windows, doors and baseboards. I vacuum every day so anything lurking won't be having fun.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:03 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Kitty, that red streak is the poison going into your system, according to my doctor. Keep a good eye on it, ok? We don't want anything to happen to you.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Kitty, that red streak is the poison going into your system, according to my doctor. Keep a good eye on it, ok? We don't want anything to happen to you.
I'm watching for sure. No one but me would notice what's left. Thanks for caring!

Old 01-14-2012, 08:58 AM

412 posts, read 679,605 times
My staff is out of control and I had to make an example out of someone. It happened to be one of my favorites. Had to cut her hours significantly to show everyone I was done with their games. Everyone tells me it was the right thing to do, but why do I feel so bad?

Old 01-14-2012, 09:39 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esnox82 View Post
My staff is out of control and I had to make an example out of someone. It happened to be one of my favorites. Had to cut her hours significantly to show everyone I was done with their games. Everyone tells me it was the right thing to do, but why do I feel so bad?
Disciplining an employee is never easy. I can't comment on whether the actual punishment fitted the crime as I don't know the full situation though. It must've been serious if she received a cut in hours.

I recalled my brief stint as a supervisor and the literal stomach queasiness I would get each time I had to address an employee about her tardiness. Frankly, I did not care about her being late as long as her work got done and that she would stay behind to make up the hours but my department did not allow me this flexibility. This employee knew the rules but used the fact that she's a single mom on public transit as an excuse when the reality is that she fails to allow the extra time in commuting.

I also was using mass transit and ALWAYS allowed an extra bus in my commute so that I would get to work on time if the first bus failed to show. I recognized that it was difficult for her as she is a single mom so I tried working with her to adjust her hours but I could not just sit there and allow her to flaunt the rules when I had other employees watching. Boy, was I so glad that I was eventually given non-supervisory duties as I just wasn't cut out for it.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:01 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,464 times
Just a really bad day....

Old 01-14-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Who are the "everyones" telling you that? People at work? If the staff is out of control why discipline just one? I smell a rat.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:05 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
Quote:
These parts concern me. Supervisors with "favorites" and "making an example" seem to be lacking in some necessary supervisory skills.

Any possibility that the "out of control" staff has recognized who the "favorites" are?

Old 01-14-2012, 11:39 AM

412 posts, read 679,605 times
Now that I have a few cups of coffee I will clarify. Favorite may have not been the best term to use. I should have said "one of my hardest working employees has had a dramatic change in attitude."

Over the last few months they have all gotten a bit too comfortable and haven't been stepping up to fill in where needed.

The past week has been full of tragedy and drama in the community and resulted in me working the majority of hours on my own. However, yesterday I had a no show for the opening shift and not a single one of the other six would come in to work. I happened to have had a sick pet and needed to have my shift covered.

We had a terrible snow storm the night before last and most of them had the day off from classes. Excuses for not being able to come in such as, "I'm going snowboarding." Don't fly with me. Work is inconvenient, thats why you get paid to do it.

So yes, I did use the no-show to "make an example" to a group who needed to be reminded that part of having a job is sometimes having to work when you don't want to, showing up when scheduled is mandatory, and stepping up to the plate is important.

I talked to each one and said I've learned over the last week where everyone's priorities are and I will be posting revised hours accordingly. We really are a close group, and in the last five years I've been in business this is only the third time I've ever been put in a position that I needed to take disciplinary action. We all love what we do. And if you're not loving it anymore it's probably time to move on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
These parts concern me. Supervisors with "favorites" and "making an example" seem to be lacking in some necessary supervisory skills.

Any possibility that the "out of control" staff has recognized who the "favorites" are?

Old 01-14-2012, 11:35 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Default A carrot or a stick?

I’m so happy that I’m retired now and don’t have to work.

When I was working I was blessed to have had some of the world’s GREATEST supervisors and a few of the worst. Supervisors can lead with a carrot or a stick. Those who used the carrot had the greatest productivity and work ethic of their employees, many of the employees went beyond the required work duties and did anything for the supervisor. Those who used the stick seemed to have low productivity and employees with low work ethics; they didn’t care about the job and simply put in their time.

The carrot or the stick, it’s all up to the supervisor. There are lots of tool in the tool box for managing workers, using the right tool is important because it determines the end result. Employees are a reflection of their manager, good bad or indifferent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics