Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2012, 07:16 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,454,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by esnox82 View Post
My staff is out of control and I had to make an example out of someone. It happened to be one of my favorites. Had to cut her hours significantly to show everyone I was done with their games. Everyone tells me it was the right thing to do, but why do I feel so bad?
One of the hardest things about being a supervisor is keeping the respect. Unfortunately you can't be a pal and friends to most of your employees. When you try to do that the employees will usually take advantage of it and see you as one of them. You need to make it clear who the boss is.

Good luck.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:40 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,581,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I’m so happy that I’m retired now and don’t have to work.

When I was working I was blessed to have had some of the world’s GREATEST supervisors and a few of the worst. Supervisors can lead with a carrot or a stick. Those who used the carrot had the greatest productivity and work ethic of their employees, many of the employees went beyond the required work duties and did anything for the supervisor. Those who used the stick seemed to have low productivity and employees with low work ethics; they didn’t care about the job and simply put in their time.

The carrot or the stick, it’s all up to the supervisor. There are lots of tool in the tool box for managing workers, using the right tool is important because it determines the end result. Employees are a reflection of their manager, good bad or indifferent.
Good post, aksarben. For a special challenge, try managing human behavior in a prison setting where you are the only officer with 100-160 inmates. All of whom are there for NOT following rules throughout their entire life.

The carrot is the stick at times. Simply treat them with respect until they don't return it, then lower the hammer. They know the rules and the consequences and if they act out, it's on them. Sometimes it's good to be a multiple miggs/shape shifter.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:48 AM

412 posts, read 681,204 times
I've talked to them all since Friday and things are back on track. I told them I don't want to have to be the "Come in or don't come back" kind of boss, and they agreed that they wouldn't much like that either. We've regrouped and are all on the same page again. The work we do should be fun -- thats why I went into this business, so after a nice weekend of me being out of the shop, we will resume normally scheduled shenanigans tomorrow morning.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:07 PM

16,913 posts, read 16,178,850 times
Default Thread Hogs

Doesn't it annoy the heck out of you when somebody posts thread after thread after thread, sometimes minute after minute, without any consideration to other members who have their threads posted?
It's just so rude! Annoying!

I was in a forum....there are 30 threads on page 1.
Thirteen out of the 30 threads are all posted by the same member.
There should be something in the Terms of Service about that.
A Muzzle Rule.

When someone posts threads like that it boots the threads that others have posted for people to join right off of the page.

Somebody pass the duct tape!

Last edited by rainroosty; 01-15-2012 at 01:18 PM..

Old 01-15-2012, 02:18 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,237,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Doesn't it annoy the heck out of you when somebody posts thread after thread after thread, sometimes minute after minute, without any consideration to other members who have their threads posted?
It's just so rude! Annoying!

I was in a forum....there are 30 threads on page 1.
Thirteen out of the 30 threads are all posted by the same member.
There should be something in the Terms of Service about that.
A Muzzle Rule.

When someone posts threads like that it boots the threads that others have posted for people to join right off of the page.

Somebody pass the duct tape!

There are members who start a thread, let it play out and then start another thread on the same subject. Not in this forum but in P&OC. Gets tiresome but it seems there are always new members who jump in and run with it.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:34 PM

5,234 posts, read 8,005,016 times
"However, yesterday I had a no show for the opening shift and not a single one of the other six would come in to work. I happened to have had a sick pet and needed to have my shift covered".

If I was you I would still be pretty upset over the above incident. I probably would have bounced someone over that. These people need to grow up and maybe canning one of them is the only real way they will get the message. They can make nice and agree with you and all is ok now. They all had their free day to play and left you when you had a personal crisis, they didn't suffer at all. If it were me I wouldn't forget that no one would help when I needed a hand. Wait until one of them pleads for a day off and expects compassion, I wouldn't be bending over backwards to accommodate them. I wouldn't be treating them exactly the same way as before, I'd step back a bit. I agree about treating them as friends and pals, people just don't appreciate it and usually take advantage when they can. I just hate people like that. Glad you have worked things out, and I hope you won't have the same problems again. good luck.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:16 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,638,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
People are weird, I think they get stranger the more they use FB and like sites. Ask her to look up courtesy and consideration in the dictionary and when she fully comprehends it, then get back to ya. I certainly wouldn't change plans of sleeping in to rush to meet someone that can't get back to ya ahead of time.
I agree. Humorous update to hef-like guy in midlife crisis I dated last fall...broke up with him long-distance....he is 50 and now has an 18 yr old liviing at his apt (oh, but theyre just friends and she is getting a "job" from him)

lol...which begs the question...many men twice divorced, how many pretend that they are the ones who filed for divorce, and not the ex-wife...lol.

Im grateful though, my sixth sense is working well now

Old 01-15-2012, 06:08 PM

412 posts, read 681,204 times
The no-show was addressed. She won't be filling in for anyone anymore. They also all realize that when they're asked to work it's not optional. We have a full staff meeting scheduled to cover some other things, but when they all came in and saw I wiped the hours clear on the schedule and just had myself and a new person written in they got the idea. (the didn't know I had already hired someone before this all happened so it was quite a shocker.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
"However, yesterday I had a no show for the opening shift and not a single one of the other six would come in to work. I happened to have had a sick pet and needed to have my shift covered".

If I was you I would still be pretty upset over the above incident. I probably would have bounced someone over that. These people need to grow up and maybe canning one of them is the only real way they will get the message. They can make nice and agree with you and all is ok now. They all had their free day to play and left you when you had a personal crisis, they didn't suffer at all. If it were me I wouldn't forget that no one would help when I needed a hand. Wait until one of them pleads for a day off and expects compassion, I wouldn't be bending over backwards to accommodate them. I wouldn't be treating them exactly the same way as before, I'd step back a bit. I agree about treating them as friends and pals, people just don't appreciate it and usually take advantage when they can. I just hate people like that. Glad you have worked things out, and I hope you won't have the same problems again. good luck.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:31 PM

5,234 posts, read 8,005,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esnox82 View Post
The no-show was addressed. She won't be filling in for anyone anymore. They also all realize that when they're asked to work it's not optional. We have a full staff meeting scheduled to cover some other things, but when they all came in and saw I wiped the hours clear on the schedule and just had myself and a new person written in they got the idea. (the didn't know I had already hired someone before this all happened so it was quite a shocker.)

That's good then, it just struck a chord because it was your pet that was sick and I know how mad that would have made me. Glad you gave them a shocker.

DreamOfM, I've never known anyone that pretended they filed for divorce when they didn't. I suppose it was not wanting to look like he was the one that got dumped. Which is kinda weird in itself as some very nice people get dumped. That guy you went with sounds like the stereotypical middle aged lounge lizard. Smart you got rid of him.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:23 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,296,259 times
It happens all the time, Todd. For example, IRL, I left my first husband, couldn't afford the lawyer, we agreed he would file. So, officially, he divorced me, but I was the one who left. Got it??? ANd then there are some who just can't admit he/she was the one dumped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics