Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2020, 07:15 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Nobody’s going to do a trial where they take half the of the severe cases and send them home, so getting good data on this is going to be very difficult. That said, most of the deaths aren’t happening at home, which suggests that even with intervention people are still dying.

This only indicates that people with milder symptoms aren't being admitted.

Quote:
Again, we won’t know until we can go back and crunch the numbers afterwards, but those suggest to me we’re not affecting the mortality rate in any meaningful way.

It doesn't suggest this at all. I have no idea how you made that leap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 07:15 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
First off you're rewriting history again. NYC and California went under lock down at about the same time.

But almost everyplace they test they have cases. No matter how remote or when they started social distancing. That is consistent with we all have it anyway.
It's the time relative to when infections were starting that's important. Italy and Wuhan went into full lockdown well before both, but it was way too late for them.

And there's a huge difference between "it's everywhere" and "we all have it". It's definitely everywhere, but the infection rates vary considerably by geography. "We all have it" doesn't can't explain why some place have lots of people dying and some places have relatively few people dying.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:17 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,402,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Yes the Bridges would be closer to non residents travelers.

Sorry you can’t use you’re 2nd home on the Cape I can’t do things I want to do right now.
I personally don't have a 2nd home on the Cape. However those who have them certainly can use them as this petition is currently just a pipe dream getting too much media attention.

Also, PS, it's too late. Friends on the Cape, Islands and other areas report the New Yorkers arrived en masse weeks ago.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:19 AM

875 posts, read 663,314 times
Just wait until all the snowbirds in FLA panic and start to flee North/West when the cases spiral out of control because of DeSantis' inaction

Old 04-01-2020, 07:23 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
I personally don't have a 2nd home on the Cape. However those who have them certainly can use them as this petition is currently just a pipe dream getting too much media attention.

Also, PS, it's too late. Friends on the Cape, Islands and other areas report the New Yorkers arrived en masse weeks ago.
They shouldn’t be able to right now that’s the point. They are directly endangering the residents of the Cape whose medial infrastructure is designed around the 216,000 full time residents not its summer population.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:36 AM

17,679 posts, read 9,168,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
The petition is to close the bridges to seasonal residents and tourists, not to blow them up. From the article: "...only year-round residents, medical personnel, and delivery trucks carrying essential supplies, should be allowed there."
Thank you.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:53 AM

17,679 posts, read 9,168,053 times
Quote:
Again, we won’t know until we can go back and crunch the numbers afterwards, but those suggest to me we’re not affecting the mortality rate in any meaningful way.
id77, the top infectious disease experts in the world have predicted the following:

100,000 to 240,000 deaths (with intervention)

1,500,000 to 2,200,00 deaths (without intervention)

Why do you think you know better than the leading experts? Seriously, WTF are you thinking?

Old 04-01-2020, 08:02 AM

9,081 posts, read 6,305,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
"We all have it" doesn't can't explain why some place have lots of people dying and some places have relatively few people dying.
At this point I believe air pollution, relative humidity, average air temperatures and the popularity of smoking and vaping could impact how severely this virus affects people in any given location.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:02 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,319,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
id77, the top infectious disease experts in the world have predicted the following:

100,000 to 240,000 deaths (with intervention)

1,500,000 to 2,200,00 deaths (without intervention)

Why do you think you know better than the leading experts? Seriously, WTF are you thinking?
Time will tell, and I’m no expert, but Im thinking we’re going to get closer to the non-intervention numbers, even with intervention. I’m operating under the expectation every last person will be exposed to the virus at some point; maybe in a month or maybe in two years. I do not see this disease as something that’s going away.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:09 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
At this point I believe air pollution, relative humidity, average air temperatures and the popularity of smoking and vaping could impact how severely this virus affects people in any given location.
So you subscribe to her theory that it's been everywhere since December and seems to progressing in exponential fashion across the world because of air pollution, relative humidity, average air temperatures, and the popularity of smoking? Everyone in Wuhan took up smoking in December, and Italy took up smoking in late February, and then New York took up smoking in March?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts