Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2013, 04:56 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardillo View Post
She might be Welsh, but not representative. It would be like electing a redhaired Spanish girl, there are a bunch but are not representative.gl
Wales is a lot more varied in colouring than you think. Have a google of what Welsh look like and you might be suprised. Blond hair is not that uncommon.

All Welsh do not look like Catherine Zeta Jones. There are not many who can compare with her beauty anywhere but her colouring is not representive of Wales anymore than Andrea Corr represents the majority of Irish.

There is a great variety of looks and they are all equally representative. That Welsh girl has natural blond hair unlike the many girls in those competitions that have dyed hair.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:35 AM

30 posts, read 61,219 times
This article is a load of rubbish.

The modern British people today are a mixed bag containing native, Roman, Celt, Saxon and Norse DNA.

Also, appearances of people in general very quite widely from the west coast to the east. You're more likely to find the most "pure" British people the further west you go.

This whole thing is nonsense. If you threw me in a crowd of people in Amsterdam, I would not really be able to sit there and think that I'm among people that look any different than I do.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:04 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
There has always been a myth about british people, specially the english being direct descendants of scandinavians and continental germanic peoples, which in my visit to the Uk does nothing but reveal how much untrue it is.

The overwhelming majority of brits, and even the english are descendants from old substrata of pre-germanic and pre-celtic origin populations whom already unhabitated the atlantic shores of europe way long before than the modern germanic/nordic peoples migrated from central asia to european lands.
This myth must come from very uneducated people. The culture, and particularly the language of English has it's roots in Germanic, but the DNA of the people is mixed.

There is a common ancestor of northern Europe (i.e. one person who is in the family tree of every single northern European) who probably lived less than 1000 years ago.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:42 AM

520 posts, read 1,514,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Superstar View Post
This article is a load of rubbish.

The modern British people today are a mixed bag containing native, Roman, Celt, Saxon and Norse DNA.

Also, appearances of people in general very quite widely from the west coast to the east. You're more likely to find the most "pure" British people the further west you go.

This whole thing is nonsense. If you threw me in a crowd of people in Amsterdam, I would not really be able to sit there and think that I'm among people that look any different than I do.
^This!

Old 08-22-2013, 07:10 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
Yes good post there from Hardcore

Old 08-22-2013, 07:37 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,421,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardillo View Post
She might be Welsh, but not representative. It would be like electing a redhaired Spanish girl, there are a bunch but are not representative.gl
She is 100 per cent Welsh. Stop having imaginations, Wales is still in Northern Europe, thus blonde hair is common and Wales is not Spain/Greece. Brown/dark hair might be somewhat more common than in eastern and central England, but most Welsh still have blue, green, gray or hazel than purely brown eyes. Therefore a blonde Welsh should not surprise anybody unless they are really unaware of things or less intelligent. There are people in Wales who have ancestry from the Vikings who came from Norway as well. Wales is not darker than France let alone Spain. Miss Wales is from North Wales, you cannot be more Welsh or 'more British' than that. Red hair in Wales for your information varies from 10 per cent to 15 per cent depending on regions, while the continental European average doesn't even approach 2 per cent according to recent studies published by the BritishDna Project in 2012. At the same time, blonde hair is always more common than red hair anywhere in Europe, including in Wales. You perhaps always thought of that stereotype of the dark Welshman, think again. They are not that different from their neighbors. You, Caballero, Traveller 86 are putting you anti-British feelings in order to judge how a population looks like, that's utter insanity. I will bring you facts not a bunch of emotions.

North Welsh crowd in 2013.

Welsh children also from North Wales as well.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:46 AM

This is a Welsh wear her traditional outfit to celebrate her Celtic heritage.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:10 AM

This is woman of entirely Welsh ancestry, she sings very well in Welsh. You cannot be more Celtic than this.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
My point with the thread was, nowhere in the UK the majority of the population look overwhelming germanic (be it like angles/saxons/vikings, etc) in some areas they look almost pure ancient brythonic (like wales, southern and western areas of england, most of scotland and Ireland) meanwhile in other areas they look more like a mix, such asnorth east england, southern west scotland, parts in western Ireland.
Your point has been proven wrong scientifically, since the native British population of Central England has been proven to be genetically identical to the people of northern Netherlands in Friesland, you should be informed that Frisians were kin to Anglo-Saxons who invaded Britain in the late 5th century. Though in other places in England, yes people are generally a blend of Germanic with pure ancient Brythonic/Celtic. I rely more on more concrete evidence than just talk, the most 'Brythonic' or Pre-Germanic people genetically on mainland Britain are among the Welsh and the Cornish and they are the ones who resisted the Anglo-Saxons/Sassenach the longest, the rest of western Britain is still an Anglo-Saxon-Celtic mix phenotype. Scandinavian genes are most frequent in the Shetland and Orkney population of northern Scotland where 60 per cent of the male gene pool is similar to that of western Norwegians. Western Ireland is a different case, since it so Gaelic, and has even Gaelic-speaking communities. Germanics are not more pure racially than Gaelic folks, it is rather the reverse. Ireland would have received much less invasions than most countries in Europe anyway, this includes Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, France, even Britain itself. This is completely understandable since it is an island firstly and then it located at the western end of Europe. This is why in Ireland and Britain, it is easier to know where people invaded than for example in France/Germany/Austria for example.

Last edited by saxonwold; 08-22-2013 at 09:31 AM..

Old 08-22-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
My welsh friend claimed only about 5% of welsh women are natural blondes, It seems you know way more than the own welsh people about how their people really look like. And norse arent blonder than saxon/frysians. North-germanic and west-germanic are only a linguistical family groups, not a racial divide.
What someone claims is different from scientifically verified facts. Your Neo-Nazi friends probably are claiming that all Germans are have blonde hair and light blue eyes too. I do not rely on just individuals for facts like that. Firstly 5 per cent blonde would be even lower than that Spain/Italy let alone France, would be more fit for Portugal. If you even used your 'cerebrum' and logic, without even going into scientific research, you should know that blonde is much more common than red hair and at least 10 per cent of the Welsh have red hair. Thus blonde hair ratio would be much more common than that. Only you need to do, instead of eating yourself with hate of British people is to just think. Concerning the Germanic aspect, yes Vikings/Norse were indeed blonder-haired on average than other Germanic people, Denmark is blonder than Germany even Nazis knew that much. The fact that they were more blonde, doesn't mean they were of a different race. The same way, there were Celts who had blonde/'orange' hair, while others had very dark brown hair, but were of the same group. [/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe