Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 04:27 AM

12 posts, read 57,034 times

Advertisements

Acknowledging the distinctive richness (in the European context of course) of the Dutch society, and taking for granted that the Dutch are, broadly speaking, already particularly "German/Germanic," are the Dutch then OTHERWISE closer culturally to Danes, Brits, or the French? (If, for some reasons which you'll make clear, you'd prefer to challenge the German assumption, that might be constructive too.)

Also, one might phrase it this way: Are the Dutch, culturally, more Nordic, Continental or Anglo-Saxon --holding aside the fact that they're obviously quite physically already on the Continent proper (howsoever tenuously!).

All responses appreciated, and thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 08:24 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,573,159 times
In my opinion, putting their culture in descending order: Continental, Nordic, Anglo-Saxon.
I think they are on the continental edge, just Western-Germanic people.

Last edited by overdrive1979; 08-16-2013 at 09:28 AM..

Old 08-16-2013, 09:01 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,421,332 times
True, the Dutch are Western Germanic, also related to Anglo-Saxon/North Sea Germanic through their Frisian and Saxon branch and to other Western Germanic the Franks from they derived their language. They also share original Germanic qualities such as love for freedom, liberalism and individualism. Cleanliness was a must in the old Dutch society, especially since so many people lived in a such a small country. The Netherlands tulips fields are so beautiful, and there's a girl wearing the Dutch traditional clothes.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:59 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times
Brits and Danes are also Germanic so I don't quite get your question. German and Germanic are not the same and Dutch culture is distinct from German culture. The Netherlands was an independent country centuries before Germany was. It has its own history, its own language, its own cuisine, its own traditions. So while Dutch culture is certainly Germanic, it's far from "German".

The province of Limburg, where I live, is definitely closer to France. French was the language of the "upper class" for a long time and a lot of buildings and street names are in French. The local dialect is influenced by French too. And the culture is more "burgundian" and Catholic, like Belgium and France.

I would say The Netherlands in general is closest to Scandinavia in terms of liberalism, the welfare state, international orientation, secularism, Protestant roots, monarchy, etc. But again, Scandinavian countries are also Germanic.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
True, the Dutch are Western Germanic, also related to Anglo-Saxon/North Sea Germanic through their Frisian and Saxon branch and to other Western Germanic the Franks from they derived their language. They also share original Germanic qualities such as love for freedom, liberalism and individualism. Cleanliness was a must in the old Dutch society, especially since so many people lived in a such a small country. The Netherlands tulips fields are so beautiful, and there's a girl wearing the Dutch traditional clothes.
I can assure you that no one dresses like that these days, except maybe for old ladies in traditional fisherman's towns. Old stereotypes die hard

PS, if you love the Dutch tulip fields, you should pay a visit to Keukenhof

Last edited by LindavG; 08-16-2013 at 10:21 AM..

Old 08-16-2013, 10:44 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
The Netherlands tulips fields are so beautiful, and there's a girl wearing the Dutch traditional clothes.
Haha. I saw ladies dressed like that in Gouda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
It has its own history, its own language, its own cuisine, its own traditions. So while Dutch culture is certainly Germanic, it's far from "German".

I would say The Netherlands in general is closest to Scandinavia in terms of liberalism, the welfare state, international orientation, secularism, Protestant roots, monarchy, etc. But again, Scandinavian countries are also Germanic.
From an outsider's view I find the Dutch very German. Maybe a bit more laid back, but similar. I actually mistook two Germans yesterday for Dutch when I couldn't hear how they spoke. That was not a very good start to the conversation. I think they were a bit offended.

Yes, of course there are many differences, every country has their own things, but in a way, I can't always tell if it's a German or a Dutch feature. Figure I offer you two dishes, one is Danish and the other one is Norwegian. Not many could know which is which. I mean those kind of things.
But on the other hand, going into a Dutch grocery store feels almost like being home. Except for the Dutch take on rye bread. It's so baaaaaaad! I think that's the only culture shock I've experienced in The Netherlands, so I definitely say it's very Nordic.

So:

1. Dutch
2. Continental
3. Nordic
4. Anglo-Saxon

Old 08-16-2013, 10:57 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,573,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Brits and Danes are also Germanic so I don't quite get your question.
As Spain is extremely popular for tourist from northern European and Germanic countries, I have to say that British people show some different behaviour than Germanic people from continental Europe.

British tourist along Mediterranean coast tend to be drunken and loud all the time, while average German and Dutch people are cooler and calmer during holidays here.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Haha. I saw ladies dressed like that in Gouda.
It's just for tourists

Quote:
From an outsider's view I find the Dutch very German. Maybe a bit more laid back, but similar. I actually mistook two Germans yesterday for Dutch when I couldn't hear how they spoke. That was not a very good start to the conversation. I think they were a bit offended.

Yes, of course there are many differences, every country has their own things, but in a way, I can't always tell if it's a German or a Dutch feature. Figure I offer you two dishes, one is Danish and the other one is Norwegian. Not many could know which is which. I mean those kind of things.
I can tell the difference. The Netherlands = progressive, internationally-oriented, entrepreneurial, laid back, monarchist. Germany = conservative, nationally-oriented, industrious, serious (disciplined), republican. The differences go far beyond cuisine. The Netherlands has far more in common with any of the Scandinavian countries than with Germany. Of course there are plenty of things that The Netherlands shares with Germany but these are more general Germanic features.

Quote:
But on the other hand, going into a Dutch grocery store feels almost like being home. Except for the Dutch take on rye bread. It's so baaaaaaad! I think that's the only culture shock I've experienced in The Netherlands, so I definitely say it's very Nordic.

So:

1. Dutch
2. Continental
3. Nordic
4. Anglo-Saxon
I've only tried Frisian and Limburgish rye bread. Liked the Frisian one (with cheese!) but the Limburgish one was disgusting. It's like a slice of bread but extremely dry

Old 08-16-2013, 01:21 PM

257 posts, read 517,958 times
Quote:
A girl with flowers Where can I meet a girl like this? By the way Linda how often do you wear a folk costume?

Old 08-16-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiri View Post
A girl with flowers Where can I meet a girl like this? By the way Linda how often do you wear a folk costume?
I've only worn a folk costume once in my life and that was for carnaval when I was little

Like I said, you can find old ladies who dress like that in fisherman's towns, or people in traditional ultra-religious towns like Staphorst and Urk, but that's it.

For example Staphorst:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe