Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2016, 01:30 AM

322 posts, read 479,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Or their cousins across the North Sea, the English. Northern Dutch people, the Frisians are kin to English. Due to the fact that Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Frisians or the North Sea Germanic group were the people who created the English nation.
english look completely different from continental europeans both in physical appearance and mentality.
English nation is mostly product of ancient brythonic and gaelic tribes with a dash of everything else, not the other way around. You are just the typical american young boy who never been to europe and read too much tabloids... I live and work among several european nationalities on a daily... and believe me the English are nothing like Dutch people, nor they are close to anyone in the continent... only the Irish resemble them in appearance and(on a lesser extent).mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 04:15 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,432,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zektor View Post
english look completely different from continental europeans both in physical appearance and mentality.
English nation is mostly product of ancient brythonic and gaelic tribes with a dash of everything else, not the other way around. You are just the typical american young boy who never been to europe and read too much tabloids... I live and work among several european nationalities on a daily... and believe me the English are nothing like Dutch people, nor they are close to anyone in the continent... only the Irish resemble them in appearance and(on a lesser extent).mentality.
Sorry, but what you said is false and astonishingly ignorant. "The English look completely different from other Europeans!" Are you trying to say now that they are not Europeans? Now for your information, Celtic people are a European people. Brythonic and Gaelic branches were the northern Celts and they predominated in the British Isles, with Brythonic dominant in Britain and Gaelic in Ireland, but later in parts of Scotland due to invasion from Ireland. The English nation only came to existance after the coming of the Germanic people precisely the Angles, the Jutes and the Saxons. The very name England derives from "Angle-land" or land of the Angles. So please don't play the fool. I am well aware of your agenda against anti-English/British and anti-American or any other English-speaking person.
So let see the English, Irish (I.E.) and other U.K. populations do cluster close genetically to the Dutch (N.L.), other populations such as Danish(DK) and Norwegian (NO) as well.
This genetic map was made by biologists led by Manfred Kayser at the Erasmus University Medical Center in Rotterdam (Netherlands), shows similarities between European populations.

Last edited by saxonwold; 03-29-2016 at 04:37 PM..

Old 03-29-2016, 05:03 PM

the origin of Frisians lies in Southern Scandinavia, Denmark and Weser and Oder regions.

Around 450 A.D., Angles, Saxons, Jutes and a Frisian fraction crossed the North Sea and established the Anglo-Saxon empire (currently known as England). The Frisians colonized the county of Kent (Southeast England).

Old 03-29-2016, 05:24 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Seeing some of those pictures alone is enough to make me want to travel to The Netherlands. However, I've always imagined riding a bicycle across The Netherlands.
I found a youtube vid that discussed a small business in the Netherlands that specialized in CANOE tours of the country! All those canals! It looked really cool! And you don't have to worry about traffic, and trucks & buses, and breathing exhaust, canoeing your way through the country! Wow--that's very tempting.

So, mariner, what about your dream of doing a Golden Ring tour of Russia? Now that you're employed, do you have a savings plan?

Old 03-30-2016, 11:33 AM

Frisian women are the hottest of the Dutch ladies, I think. They have more of that Nordic look!

Old 03-30-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
the origin of Frisians lies in Southern Scandinavia, Denmark and Weser and Oder regions.

Around 450 A.D., Angles, Saxons, Jutes and a Frisian fraction crossed the North Sea and established the Anglo-Saxon empire (currently known as England). The Frisians colonized the county of Kent (Southeast England).
Actually, Frisians first went to England around 250 AD, when there was some kind of sea-level surge that flooded the islands off Holland.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Frisian women are the hottest of the Dutch ladies, I think. They have more of that Nordic look!
They have one of the highest percentages of blonds of any population. Is that what you mean by "that Nordic look"?

Old 03-30-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Actually, Frisians first went to England around 250 AD, when there was some kind of sea-level surge that flooded the islands off Holland.
Sure. Some Frisians and especially the Batavians were recruited in the Roman auxilliaries to be stationed in Britain.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They have one of the highest percentages of blonds of any population. Is that what you mean by "that Nordic look"?
Yes, blondes are very common among Frisians, with a good frequency of people with also the "Nordic blonde" type and features (Scandinavian look).However, Friesland is not blondest province in the Netherlands according to my recent Dutch sources, it's Groningen which has also the highest percentage of blue and light-eyed people in the Netherlands. Friesland has the second highest percentage for blonde hair and blue or other light eyes in the Netherlands but has surprisingly the highest percentages for red hair and very fair skin (skin which cannot or tans with difficulty).

Last edited by saxonwold; 03-30-2016 at 07:39 PM..

Old 04-08-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zektor View Post
Dutch athlete (Germanic)
http://live.beheer.knhb.nl/I_API/dow...acheTime=10080

Irish athlete (Gaelic), blue-eyed.
http://www.sportsfile.com/winshare/w...874/519490.jpg

No much of a difference, is there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe