Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 11:13 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,445,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeo3 View Post
Dutch are Dutch. Their origin is clearly Germanic, but during their history they attracked a lot of migrants: Jews, protestants from what is now Belgium and France, more recently lots of people from the former colonies and all over the world. In this respect they are more close to Anglo-saxon peoples, who also soaked up lots of migrants, but their original language and culture resembles more to Germany. (but don't say that to Dutch people, who dislike Germans). In the northern regions such as Friesland there are also many resemblances with Denmark. In the very south people have resemblances with Belgians, in the east they speak a dialect which is close to German.
Correct!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 07:18 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,536,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Don't focus too much on the hair styles, rather read first what is written. The pictures are there to emphasize or support the quote that stated " blonde-haired people are common in the Netherlands". There also many Dutch people who have very light green eyes and medium/dark blonde hair. My own mother of Dutch and Belgian(Flemish/Vlaams) ancestry is of that colouring. So for me when I am in the Netherlands is a little like being at home, I see more people that look like people in my maternal family. My pictures only serve as proof. Nothing is questionable, don't get easily confused!
[/quote]

I think he is questioning whether to notify the appropriate authorities or not

Old 10-13-2013, 10:13 PM

463 posts, read 1,130,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Correct!
he I work in the netherlands...

Old 10-14-2013, 09:08 AM

114 posts, read 624,674 times
Dutch can't be Anglo-Saxon by definition -- "ANGLO" means English.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:36 PM

10 posts, read 13,998 times
I am English, have several Dutch friends, and have visited the Netherlands several times. I really like the country and its people, they are warm and outgoing and their country is very progressive. I would say the country has most in common with Denmark, but also has more in common with England than Germany.
Holland seems very different to France where people can be very cold and

Old 10-28-2013, 10:53 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,769,784 times
My impression is that the Dutch are a lot like the Danes and other Scandinavians in appearance and political outlook. This points to me to some sort of common anthropological origin with other West Germanics. Germany proper, like France, and for that matter Britain, is much more heterogeneous in ethnicities, appearances, religion,etc. Although they share a common origin, I would not call them Nordic, but West Germanic, with linkages to the Frisians, and Anglo-Saxons, etc. Obviously, in modern culture, they would be Continental.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:02 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,245,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
My impression is that the Dutch are a lot like the Danes and other Scandinavians in appearance and political outlook. This points to me to some sort of common anthropological origin with other West Germanics. Germany proper, like France, and for that matter Britain, is much more heterogeneous in ethnicities, appearances, religion,etc. Although they share a common origin, I would not call them Nordic, but West Germanic, with linkages to the Frisians, and Anglo-Saxons, etc. Obviously, in modern culture, they would be Continental.
Germany is definitely not more heterogeneous than The Netherlands, nor is Britain outside of London.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:22 AM

106 posts, read 188,876 times
From a foreign perspective, Dutch are quite homogeneous. The only people that are different are people from the colonies, my neighbour is a Dutch woman from Surinam?. The rest are fairly homogeneous (from a foreign perspective). My aunt married a Dutch person that asserted that he was Jewish, but there Dutch govt. had doubts, finally they gave him a pension and my aunt lived thanks to that money until she died, she knew Dutch and became Dutch. Dutch adapt very well, are far more adaptable that Germans, Swedes or English. They are people used to deal with foreigners, far more open. In Bellum Galicum, Caesar praises the Batavians as traders, friendly people, counterposing them with the Churubuscs.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:46 PM

520 posts, read 1,515,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Germany is definitely not more heterogeneous than The Netherlands, nor is Britain outside of London.
That's right. But I guess he meant heterogenous in regard to 'local' culture and appearance not particularly regarding immigrants or ethnic groups. For instance, like the cultural differences between Lower Saxony and Bavaria or North-Rhine Westphalia and Brandenburg.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:45 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,245,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham12 View Post
That's right. But I guess he meant heterogenous in regard to 'local' culture and appearance not particularly regarding immigrants or ethnic groups. For instance, like the cultural differences between Lower Saxony and Bavaria or North-Rhine Westphalia and Brandenburg.
Well, he mentioned ethnicities, appearances and religion so I doubt he's talking about local culture. Even then, the Netherlands is far from homogeneous, there are huge differences between the provinces. I don't think the difference between Lower Saxony and Bavaria is more profound than the difference between Gelderland and Limburg or Holland and Friesland, for example. The strong regional identities are a core characteristic of the Netherlands, the amount of diversity is pretty amazing for such a small country. But perhaps these things are hard to grasp from an outside perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe