Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2022, 10:39 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,127,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
You could not have seen mistranslations with your own eyes because we no longer have the original manuscripts.
https://www.blueletterbible.org/sear...=s_primary_0_1

Go and study for yourself if you want to know the truth.
The information is available to anyone who wants to look.

Old 05-12-2022, 10:45 AM

8,039 posts, read 1,841,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post

Of course, all of the verses in that search are not an exhaustive study on the subject of hell.

Hell is also referred to as "the furnace of fire" (Matthew 13:41-42, Matthew 13:49-50) and "the lake of fire" (Revelation 20:10, Revelation 20:15, Revelation 21:8). Other verses on the subject: Revelation 14:9-11.

And that is not all; but I will leave you with that for now.

Old 05-12-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Of course, all of the verses in that search are not an exhaustive study on the subject of hell.
Well actually, it is a starting point. And it is all the places in the bible where 'hell' is referenced. It shows where the word 'hell' came from and what original words it is translated from. That is what you asked for. But you didn't even look at that. If you want to understand this it won't be easy for you if you think you will see it in 10 seconds.

Quote:
Hell is also referred to as "the furnace of fire" (Matthew 13:41-42, Matthew 13:49-50) and "the lake of fire" (Revelation 20:10, Revelation 20:15, Revelation 21:8). Other verses on the subject: Revelation 14:9-11.

And that is not all; but I will leave you with that for now.
No you are incorrect. Show me where the word 'hell' is referrred to as "the furnace of fire"? Not in Matthew 13. The word 'hell' is not there.

See what you are doing here? You are assuming verses that talk about 'fire' must mean 'hell'. Do you know everyone will be salted with fire? So do you believe everyone will be salted with 'hell'?

The "lake of fire" is also not 'hell'. 'Hell' is thrown into the lake of fire. Curious isn't it? In that verse in particular (Rev 20:14), 'hell' is actually talking about the grave. Symbolically it is saying 'death' and 'the grave' are thrown into the lake of fire. We know it is symbolic because you can't literally throw death into a literal lake of literal fire. But NO, the "lake of fire" is not 'hell'.

Good try, but study more on this. It takes time.
'hell' is not what is traditionally taught. Go through the 'hell' verses and study what they mean.

Old 05-12-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Well actually, it is a starting point. And it is all the places in the bible where 'hell' is referenced. It shows where the word 'hell' came from and what original words it is translated from. That is what you asked for. But you didn't even look at that. If you want to understand this it won't be easy for you if you think you will see it in 10 seconds.

No you are incorrect. Show me where the word 'hell' is referrred to as "the furnace of fire"? Not in Matthew 13. The word 'hell' is not there.

See what you are doing here? You are assuming verses that talk about 'fire' must mean 'hell'. Do you know everyone will be salted with fire? So do you believe everyone will be salted with 'hell'?

The "lake of fire" is also not 'hell'. 'Hell' is thrown into the lake of fire. Curious isn't it? In that verse in particular (Rev 20:14), 'hell' is actually talking about the grave. Symbolically it is saying 'death' and 'the grave' are thrown into the lake of fire. We know it is symbolic because you can't literally throw death into a literal lake of literal fire. But NO, the "lake of fire" is not 'hell'.

Good try, but study more on this. It takes time.
'hell' is not what is traditionally taught. Go through the 'hell' verses and study what they mean.
Here are some verses on hell, or the punishment that Jesus talks about in Isaiah 33:14 ("everlasting burnings")...

Isa 33:14, The sinners in Zion are afraid; fearfulness hath surprised the hypocrites. Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings?

Mat 25:41, Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Pro 30:15, The horseleach hath two daughters, crying, Give, give. There are three things that are never satisfied, yea, four things say not, It is enough:
Pro 30:16, The grave; and the barren womb; the earth that is not filled with water; and the fire that saith not, It is enough.

Mat 13:41, The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
Mat 13:42, And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Mat 13:49, So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,
Mat 13:50, And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Mat 25:46, And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

I will say concerning that last verse that there are those who, having itching ears, will heap to themselves teachers (in the translators of other versions) to tell them what their itching ears want to hear.

They say, I don't like the way that it says that...what does this translation say? They go from translation to translation until they find something that fits the theology that they want to believe in...a little something that tickles their ears.

Old 05-12-2022, 12:49 PM

7,530 posts, read 3,023,833 times
Quote:

Friend Logo: Unfortunately he does not study and has zero interest in the truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGJDH4CzkfI

Old 05-12-2022, 12:57 PM

7,530 posts, read 3,023,833 times
What Rosey believes

Every one of us, the good, the bad and the ugly face the FIRE of our Glorious God!

Our Father, Abba, is the final destination for the entire creation (clearly defined as the Source, Guide & Goal of the all/ ta panta).

I believe in "the restoration of ALL things, which God has spoken by the mouths of the prophets since the world began." -Acts 3:21-

I believe that the "good tidings of great joy will be to ALL people." -Luke 2:10

I believe that believers in Christ Jesus are "born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor the will of man, but of God." -John 1:13-

I believe that God appointed Jesus Christ "heir of ALL things, and through whom He made the universe." -Hebr. 1:2-

I believe that "no man can come to Christ unless the Father who sent Him draws him." -John 6:44

I believe "God gave Jesus authority over ALL flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as God gave Him." -John 17:2-

I believe the Father "has given ALL things into Jesus' hands." -John 13:3-

I believe that Jesus Christ "was the true light which gives light to every man who come into the world." -John 1:9

I believe that "just as the result of one trespass was condemnation to ALL men, so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification for ALL men." -Romans 5:18

I believe one mans sin "brought condemnation for all mankind." -Romans 5: 19-

I believe one mans righteousness brings "right relationship with God, and new life for everyone." -Romans 5:19-

I believe one mans sin made the whole of mankind sinners. I also believe the righteousness of one Man makes the whole of mankind righteous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNIv1MIXlj8&t=2s

Old 05-12-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
What Rosey believes

Every one of us, the good, the bad and the ugly face the FIRE of our Glorious God!

Our Father, Abba, is the final destination for the entire creation (clearly defined as the Source, Guide & Goal of the all/ ta panta).

I believe in "the restoration of ALL things, which God has spoken by the mouths of the prophets since the world began." -Acts 3:21-

I believe that the "good tidings of great joy will be to ALL people." -Luke 2:10

I believe that believers in Christ Jesus are "born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor the will of man, but of God." -John 1:13-

I believe that God appointed Jesus Christ "heir of ALL things, and through whom He made the universe." -Hebr. 1:2-

I believe that "no man can come to Christ unless the Father who sent Him draws him." -John 6:44

I believe "God gave Jesus authority over ALL flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as God gave Him." -John 17:2-

I believe that Jesus Christ "was the true light which gives light to every man who come into the world." -John 1:9

I believe that "just as the result of one trespass was condemnation to ALL men, so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification for ALL men." -Romans 5:18

I believe one mans righteousness brings "right relationship with God, and new life for everyone." -Romans 5:19-

I believe one mans sin made the whole of mankind sinners. I also believe the righteousness of one Man makes the whole of mankind righteous.

Thankyou for sharing Rosey, and I admit when I first began coming out of "eternal torment" belief (over 15 years ago), that these verses were brand new to me - they were seen with a new light. Other times they would have been glossed over as they didn't mesh with a belief that Billions would be left in endless torment. Seen under the lens of God restoring all, they fit perfectly.

Old 05-12-2022, 01:23 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
What Rosey believes

The intensity of that will be based on how much harm we have caused to others that's has not already been repented from.

Old 05-12-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Here are some verses on hell, or the punishment that Jesus talks about in Isaiah 33:14 ("everlasting burnings")...

Isa 33:14, The sinners in Zion are afraid; fearfulness hath surprised the hypocrites. Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings?

Mat 25:41, Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Pro 30:15, The horseleach hath two daughters, crying, Give, give. There are three things that are never satisfied, yea, four things say not, It is enough:
Pro 30:16, The grave; and the barren womb; the earth that is not filled with water; and the fire that saith not, It is enough.

Mat 13:41, The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
Mat 13:42, And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Mat 13:49, So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,
Mat 13:50, And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Mat 25:46, And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.
Well actually none of these verses are talking about hell. They don't even use the word 'hell'. People think that 'hell' is 'everlasting torment', but this connection is not in the bible at all.

Let me give you a bit more to study on.

In the Old testament, the word for 'hell' is translated 31 times from the Hebrew word Sheol - meaning grave or pit, the place of the dead.
In the New testament, the word for 'hell' is translated 10 times from the Greek word Hades (same as sheol), 12 times from the word Gehenna (referring to the Valley of Gehenna), and 1 other time from the word Tartarus.

Its interesting that the same word 'sheol' in the Old testament is also translated as 'grave' 31 times and 'the pit' 3 times. By looking at the verses where the word is translated as 'grave', you can gain a greater understanding of what sheol is talking about. 'hell' is really sheol.

H7585 Sheol:
https://www.blueletterbible.org/lexi...5/kjv/wlc/0-1/

Example:
Ecc 9:10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, (H7585 sheol) whither thou goest.

So there is no knowledge in 'hell' ie. 'the grave' ie. 'sheol'

I can provide more study on this in another post, but it is a good exercise to go and understand how sheol is referenced in the bible. It is also a good exercise to understand what Jesus meant when he was talking about Gehenna. (He wasn't talking about any 'eternal torments').

Old 05-12-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
What Rosey believes

Along the line of the idea that being cast into the lake of fire makes you righteous?

It does not, for it is death (Revelation 20:15) meted out to those whose names are not written in the Lamb's Book of Life.

Quote:
Well actually none of these verses are talking about hell. They don't even use the word 'hell'. People think that 'hell' is 'everlasting torment', but this connection is not in the bible at all.

Let me give you a bit more to study on.

In the Old testament, the word for 'hell' is translated 31 times from the Hebrew word Sheol - meaning grave or pit, the place of the dead.
In the New testament, the word for 'hell' is translated 10 times from the Greek word Hades (same as sheol), 12 times from the word Gehenna (referring to the Valley of Gehenna), and 1 other time from the word Tartarus.

Its interesting that the same word 'sheol' in the Old testament is also translated as 'grave' 31 times and 'the pit' 3 times. By looking at the verses where the word is translated as 'grave', you can gain a greater understanding of what sheol is talking about. 'hell' is really sheol.

H7585 Sheol:
https://www.blueletterbible.org/lexi...5/kjv/wlc/0-1/

Example:
Ecc 9:10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, (H7585 sheol) whither thou goest.

So there is no knowledge in 'hell' ie. 'the grave' ie. 'sheol'

I can provide more study on this in another post, but it is a good exercise to go and understand how sheol is referenced in the bible. It is also a good exercise to understand what Jesus meant when he was talking about Gehenna. (He wasn't talking about any 'eternal torments').
They are talking about something. What do those verses (the ones that I quoted) teach you about the afterlife? Are you going to ignore them because they do not specifically use the word "hell"?

Do you also not believe in the Trinity because the word "Trinity" isn't in the Bible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity