Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2021, 06:55 PM

7,530 posts, read 3,023,833 times

Advertisements

Keith Derose

The really extraordinary good news

The restitution of all things is far from a mere doctrine of barren theology; many, like Paul, find great joy in the belief. Part of the joy some find is in the thought that not only they, but their fellow humans, will, eventually at least, experience everlasting life with Christ. But, like Paul, you may find the joy is focused rather on God, and on how wondrous and complete a victory will be won by the God “who wills everyone to be saved” (I Timothy 2:4).

Keith DeRose: Universalism and the Bible – The Really Good News – Mercy Upon All

Old 05-29-2021, 08:34 AM

All does not always mean all? ?

1 Cor. 15:22

For as in Adam [some] die, so also in Christ [some] shall be made alive. But each in his own order; Christ the first fruits, after that those who are Christ's at His coming, then comes the end, when He delivers up the kingdom to the God and Father, when He has abolished [some] rule and [some] authority and power.

Rev. 5:13

And [some] created things that are in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and on the sea, and [some] things in them, I heard saying, To Him who sits on the throne and the Lamb, be blessing and honour and glory and dominion and power forever.

Col. 1:18-20

He too is that head whose body is the Church, the Firstborn from the dead, he is to the Church the Source of its life, that in [some] things He might occupy the foremost place/ to be in [some] things alone supreme. For it pleased the Father that in him the divine nature in [some] of its fulness should dwell. And, having made peace through the blood of His cross, by him to reconcile [some] things unto Himself; by him, I say, whether they be things on earth, or things in heaven. And you that were sometimes alienated.

Acts 3:20,21

And He will send Jesus, your destined Christ, yet heaven must retain Him, until the restitution of [some] things. (when [some] things are put right).

1 Cor. 15:28

And when [some] things shall be subdued unto Him, then shall the Son also Himself be subject unto Him that put [some] things under Him, that God may be [some in some.]

1 Cor. 15:25,27

For He must reign until He has put [some] enemies under His feet. For He has put [some] things under His feet. But when He says [some] things are put under Him, it is manifest that He is excepted, which did put [some] things under Him.

Romans 11:32

For God has consigned some men to disobedience that He might have mercy upon [some].

Eph. 4:10

Yea, He who came down is the same who is gone up, far above [some] heavens, that He might fill [some] things with His Presence.

John 5:28

Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which [some] that are in the graves shall hear His voice. Those who have done good will to live and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment.

1 Timothy 2:4

For this is good and pleasing in the eyes of God our Saviour; who will have [some] men to be saved and come to an increasing knowledge of the truth.

1 Timothy 2:6

For there is one intermediary (One who brings God and men together) who gave Himself a ransom in behalf of [some] to be testified in due time.

Cor. 5:15

For the love of God overmasters us because we judge that if one died for [some], then were [some] dead; And that His purpose in dying for [some] was that men, while still in life, should cease to live for themselves, and should live for Him who for their sake died and was raised to life.

Col. 1:16

"For by Him were [some] things created, of things in heaven and on earth, things seen and things unseen (angels or archangels and [some] of the powers of Heaven) [some] things were created by Him, and for Him ([some] were made by Christ for His own use and glory.)

John 3:35

The Father loves the Son, and has given [some] things into His hand (has given Him control over less than everything). Whoever trusts on the Son possesses eternal life and he who does not obey the Son, God's displeasure hangs over him continually.

Gal. 3:20

But the Scripture has concluded/consigned [some] without exception to the custody of sin, in order that the promise by faith in Christ Jesus might be given to those who believe in Him.

Heb. 1:2

God has in these days spoken unto us in His Son who is the predestined Lord of the universe. (whom he has appointed heir of [some] things).

2 Cor. 5:14

For the love of Christ constrains/overmasters/compels/controls us, and this is the conviction we have reached; if one man died on behalf of [some], then [some] thereby became dead men. Christ died for [some], so that being alive should no longer mean living with our own life, but with his life who died for [some] of us and has risen again.

Heb.8:11

And they shall not teach [some] men his neighbor, and [some] his brother, saying get to know the Lord, for [some] of them shall know me from small to great. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness.

Acts 10:36

"The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: He is Lord of some.

Rom. 11:36

For from him [some]things come; through Him [some] things exist; and in him [some] things end. (For of him and through him, and to him are [some] things.)

Eph. 4:6

One Lord, one faith, one baptism. One God and Father of [some], who is over [some], and works through [some], and dwells in [some].

Heb. 12:23

To the festal gathering and Church of the first-born, enrolled as citizens in heaven, and to God the Judge of [some] men and unto the spirits of righteous ones made perfect.

James 2:10

For whomsoever shall keep the whole law, but fails in a single point, has become guilty of violating [some].

Romans 3:23

For[some] have sinned/ none have attained the glorious likeness of God/lack the glory that comes from God/ are deprived of the Divine splendour.

John 17:2

As You has made him sovereign over [some] of mankind that he should give aionios life to as many as You have given him.

Romans 9:5

The patriarchs are theirs and of their race, according to the flesh, is the Christ. May God who is supreme above [some], be blessed throughout the ages.

2 Peter 3:9

The Lord is not slack/does not loiter/ is not dilatory concerning his promise, according to [some] peoples conception of slowness; but He bears patiently with you, because it is not His will for any to be lost, but for [some] to come/reach repentance.

Phil. 2:10,11

In order that in adoration of the Name of Jesus [some] knees will bow themselves and openly acknowledge with joy, in celebration and praise, that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father. This profession and confession of His lordship shall be open and freely proclaimed, acknowledged joyfully by [some] beings in the heavens, by [some]beings on the earth and by [some] beings in the underworld.

Old 05-29-2021, 02:14 PM

1,091 posts, read 278,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyfaith View Post
This is a LOOOONG thread...

Moderator cut: Discussing moderation and childish name-calling.

The answer is now buried on page 151 or 152 of this thread.

But since that thread has been closed, I offer up this evidence con Universalism and ask that the Universalist answer the following verses.

How do the following passages apply to the doctrine of Universalism as it is purported by some of the posters on these boards?

Those who believe in Universalism, I ask you this question in hopes of provoking a sincere discussion as to your beliefs on the matter.

Mat 7:23, And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Mat 25:41, Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Mat 13:41, The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
Mat 13:42, And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Mat 13:49, So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,
Mat 13:50, And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Mat 25:46, And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Pro 30:15, The horseleach hath two daughters, crying, Give, give. There are three things that are never satisfied, yea, four things say not, It is enough:
Pro 30:16, The grave; and the barren womb; the earth that is not filled with water; and the fire that saith not, It is enough.

Isa 33:14, The sinners in Zion are afraid; fearfulness hath surprised the hypocrites. Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings?

Luk 12:4, And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.
Luk 12:5, But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.
All these scriptures deal with the "flesh" and "spirit" of the soul, and their division and judgements thereof. It's really that simple.

Here is good book on what some call "Universalism", that might give you some insight as to how their concepts and doctrines are being developed. I'm not a traditional universalist, so I'm often not in agreement with their views, but it's a good read nonetheless.

https://archive.org/details/plainguidetouniv00whitrich

Old 05-29-2021, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjGuru View Post
All these scriptures deal with the "flesh" and "spirit" of the soul, and their division and judgements thereof. It's really that simple.

Indeed! The working of the Spirit of the Lord in tri-partite man is not exactly simple. The separation of soul and spirit is an intricate operation of fine tuning as close as the separation of the thoughts and intents of the heart. It is that intricate.

J.J.: God bless you and yours with His overshadowing glory.

Old 05-29-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post

Indeed! The working of the Spirit of the Lord in tri-partite man is not exactly simple. The separation of soul and spirit is an intricate operation of fine tuning as close as the separation of the thoughts and intents of the heart. It is that intricate.

J.J.: God bless you and yours with His overshadowing glory.
How are you my friend? God bless you also. I love reading your posts on this thread. They really should shut the rest of the site down...lol

Old 05-29-2021, 02:56 PM

The Triumph of God's Love, what does all this mean?

If God has determined to stand with us, tell me, who then could ever stand against us? For God has proved his love by giving us his greatest treasure, the gift of his Son. And since God freely offered him up as the sacrifice for us all, he certainly won't withhold from us anything else he has to give.

Who then would dare to accuse those whom God has chosen in love to be his? God himself is the judge who has issued his final verdict over them "Not guilty!"

Who then is left to condemn us?

Certainly not Jesus, the Anointed One! For he gave his life for us, and even more than that, he has conquered death and is now risen, exalted, and enthroned by God at his right hand. So how could he possibly condemn us since he is continually praying for our triumph?

Who could ever divorce us from the endless love of God's Anointed One? Absolutely no one! For nothing in the universe has the power to diminish his love toward us.

Troubles, pressures, and problems are unable to come between us and heaven's love. So now I live with the confidence that there is nothing in the universe with the power to separate us from God's love. I'm convinced that his love will triumph over death, life's troubles, fallen angels, or dark rulers in the heavens. There is nothing in our present or future circumstances that can weaken his love.

There is no power above us or beneath us, no power that could ever be found in the universe that can distance us from God's passionate love, which is lavished upon us through our Lord Jesus, the Anointed One! ~TPT

Old 05-29-2021, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, grace can be resisted, as the Holy Ghost can be resisted (Acts 7:51).

Sorry to have missed this response. If you look at the text, the natural man ("flesh") always resists the Holy Spirit. It can NEVER receive anything from the Spirit or of the Spirit. Nor can the flesh be born of God. It profits NOTHING. That's why I used the word "soul" rather than "flesh" regarding your doctrines. Here is the text:

Act 7:51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

Old 05-29-2021, 05:39 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,176,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjGuru View Post
Sorry to have missed this response. If you look at the text, the natural man ("flesh") always resists the Holy Spirit. It can NEVER receive anything from the Spirit or of the Spirit. Nor can the flesh be born of God. It profits NOTHING. That's why I used the word "soul" rather than "flesh" regarding your doctrines. Here is the text:

Act 7:51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.
translated 'natural' is 'soul' in Greek. Like in hylic, psychic and pneumatic - three natures of humanity.

Old 05-29-2021, 05:44 PM

Quote:
***wishful thinking***

Hell was created as a deterrent for those who would think to commit crimes against the kingdom of heaven.
I missed this one too, sorry.

Why is it wishful thinking to believe that God in Christ is good? If we start with the premise that "God IS good" (Mat 19:17), then everything that God does is beneficial to the soul's of men, the very souls that He owns and created for Himself. Even when the soul is subjected to "evil" (or vanity) created by the hand of God (Isa 45:7), He works it ultimately for "good".

Jesus is often referred to as the "Good" or "Great Physician" and for good reason. He'll need to put you under the knife, so to speak (separate your flesh from your spirit), but you'll come out of surgery with great glory for Him. These are the souls that "will love much", because "much is forgiven".

Mar_2:17 When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Luk_7:47 Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.

Are you by chance a supralapsarian with regards to your doctrine's of hell (or reprobation) that you've been putting forth?

Old 05-29-2021, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Duval View Post
translated 'natural' is 'soul' in Greek. Like in hylic, psychic and pneumatic - three natures of humanity.
Actually, ψυχικός (usually translated as "natural" or "sensual") is used somewhat differently than ψυχή (translated as "soul", proper). ψυχικός refers to the natural or fleshly nature of man, the sensual part of the soul, as opposed to πνεῦμα "spirit".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity