Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2021, 02:51 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,364,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie24 View Post
I will be judged by what I believe and so will you!

If we choose God that is not perfection on our part, it is a will to conform into the image of Christ.

That conforming is the work of the Holy Spirit and your will to conform, not your work that you choose.

You can't do it, you can't conform, but by faith in choosing Christ, it is performed by the Spirit.

I know exactly what I have chosen and what I believe, but the doing is His work not mine.

The agape love you so often speak of is given to us by the Spirit working to conform us, if we are faithful in what we believe.
You will be judged by what you do, not believe.

James 2:19-20

You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror. How foolish! Can't you see that faith without good deeds is useless.

Old 05-24-2021, 03:12 PM

4,483 posts, read 1,319,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post

You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror. How foolish! Can't you see that faith without good deeds is useless.
I usually do what I believe, does that principle work for you?

It can be said either way! It' just a matter of speech.

Old 05-24-2021, 03:14 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post

What about atheists?

Old 05-24-2021, 03:29 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,385,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What about atheists?
many will not believe until they see the nail scared hands

Old 05-25-2021, 05:23 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,023,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What about atheists?
What about organized religion?

The Lord's hand is not shortened to save any of us, and He will!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mybCgngCAVU

Old 05-25-2021, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jerwade

"The New Testament has only one word which can truthfully be translated as eternal. This is the Greek word Aidios which is used only twice: For since the creation of the world GODS invisible qualities; his ETERNAL (aidios) power and divine nature have been clearly seen. Read Jude 6 and 7 - where you will see a difference between them, whereas, they do not use the same Greek Word. The fire speaks to that of an age, not something that is without a beginning or an end. And the eternal chains that hold them have to do with his ETERNAL POWER, not all eternity."

Aionios

The simple definition of aionios is found expressed by St. John. (John 17:3)

"This is life aionios, that we may know you the only true God and Jesus Christ whom You did send."

Aionios zoe expresses not duration but quality of experience.

Both aionios zoe & aionios kolasis point to life of quality and punishment of quality.

"Father, it’s time. Display the bright splendor of your Son so the Son in turn may show your bright splendor. You put him in charge of everything human so he might give real and eternal life to all in his care. And this is the real and eternal life: that they know you, the one and only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you sent. I glorified you on earth by completing down to the last detail what you assigned me to do."

Old 05-26-2021, 03:26 AM

Time or Character, The Ages or A Time Sequence in aionios ~Dr. Orville Boyd Jenkins

Time or Character, The Ages or A Time Sequence in <em>aionios</em>: How Words "Mean" in Greek and English

Old 05-26-2021, 06:02 AM

8,039 posts, read 1,840,257 times
This is a LOOOONG thread...

Moderator cut: Discussing moderation and childish name-calling.

The answer is now buried on page 151 or 152 of this thread.

But since that thread has been closed, I offer up this evidence con Universalism and ask that the Universalist answer the following verses.

How do the following passages apply to the doctrine of Universalism as it is purported by some of the posters on these boards?

Those who believe in Universalism, I ask you this question in hopes of provoking a sincere discussion as to your beliefs on the matter.

Mat 7:23, And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Mat 25:41, Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Mat 13:41, The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
Mat 13:42, And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Mat 13:49, So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just,
Mat 13:50, And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Mat 25:46, And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Pro 30:15, The horseleach hath two daughters, crying, Give, give. There are three things that are never satisfied, yea, four things say not, It is enough:
Pro 30:16, The grave; and the barren womb; the earth that is not filled with water; and the fire that saith not, It is enough.

Isa 33:14, The sinners in Zion are afraid; fearfulness hath surprised the hypocrites. Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings?

Luk 12:4, And I say unto you my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.
Luk 12:5, But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-26-2021 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: As noted

Old 05-26-2021, 06:06 AM

Specifically, I would ask concerning the nature of fire in Matthew 13:41-42 and Matthew 13:49-50,

Why does fire produce wailing and gnashing of teeth if it is only merely spiritual?

Are you going to reduce wailing and gnashing of teeth to a parabolic meaning also?

I contend that wailing and gnashing of teeth has a literal meaning for us today.

Old 05-26-2021, 06:09 AM

Concerning aionos, the same word refers to everlasting life as refers to everlasting punishment in the Greek of Matthew 25:46.

So, when we are born again, we only receive age-abiding life?

What happens when our age-abiding life is over with?

We don't have life any more, correct?

What is it like to abide in death?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity