Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 10:08 AM

28 posts, read 137,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsideguy View Post
i keep hearing about them building a macys or even a neiman marcus over by market commons..but nothing concrete..i cant believe there are only 2 macys in all of SC..columbia and greenville..
There ARE plans for a second phase to the Market Common.. the area next to the pig is already zoned for further retail development and they have confirmed that it will be for "larger retailers" who couldnt fit their stores into the existing Market Commons design. Macys was mentioned a few months ago but it all sems to have quietened off recently. If you go into the Market Common sales room they have a model of the development that has phase II on it.

Four new stores opened this week as well the spa.. this takes it up to 96% capacity which I think is pretty good going considering the current economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 11:17 PM

215 posts, read 545,465 times
It's been a month.

Anything new going on at Market Commons?

Old 11-11-2008, 11:10 AM

245 posts, read 762,097 times
I was there last week...it had a lot people moving around...and it was a week day.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:21 AM

Yes.. it is a lot busier here now even in the middle of the week than it ever was in the Summer.. I guess people are starting to find out about it!There have been lots of events on the weekends that have really been a part of the promotion of the area. The new spa is great - It is the only place like it in MB so hopefully will become a destination to itself. There is a new wholefoods/organic store opening up - set for Dec 5th - it will also have a whole gluten free section.. again a first for MB. It IS however really out of the way.. tucked around the corner in the townhomes. Hopefully those who are interested will find it if they get their advertising right.Amazingly, even with todays economy, they sold another four homes at the MC last week and are planning on building more.I have to correct an earlier post - they have built the new gym and it is great - but they didnt put the aquatic centre in it as promised.. this may or may not be built in the future.They are also about 1/2 way through building the new Gran Park road.. and it looks amazing so far. Very similar to the new Farrow Parkway in as much as there are wide sidewalks, lots of trees and old style lamp posts.. this will wrap around the outside of the park and enclose the new football fields and baseballl diamonds that are planned to go in there..They have also built a strip mall (much nicer than it sounds!) on Farrow - but it is empty at the moment and I dont think anything is scheduled yet to go in there.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:50 AM

Market Common had its tree lighting ceremony last night.

It was a huge success and loads of people turned up for the event.. the MC first xmas is shaping up to be a great time..
Attached Thumbnails
Market Common...the shops and restaurants-61-lights-crowda_standalone_prod_affiliate_78.jpg  

Old 11-29-2008, 10:31 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,878,550 times
Good for you, looks like there was a good turnout! Happy holidays!!

Old 12-30-2008, 11:43 PM

Well it looks like they will NOT be building the larger store that they were talking about after all.. reported in Carolina News today:

[SIZE=2]Market Common in Myrtle Beach wants to change its plans, to be able to build more homes and fewer stores.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]The developer of the property, McCaffrey Interests will ask the Myrtle Beach planning commission this week to make a change in the Market Common master plan.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]McCaffrey wants to take out 180,000 square feet of retail space, and replace it with 148 single family units, plus a pool complex.[/SIZE]

OK - so your guess is as good as mine. I think the fact that the retail industry is hurting right now means that they cannot find a buyer/tenant for a large store. Even though housing is also taking a battering, they still sold four town homes this month and the occupancy rates for the rental apartments are over 90%.

Also heard a new Grill House is due to open early 2009 which would be a welcome addittion.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:49 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,680,011 times
Yes, it was also in the news yesterday. The Market Commons has changed its plans. More homes means more shoppers for the stores. The want to expand on the homes aspect of the general plan.
I think it all boils down to having these shoppers in abundance so the stores get a lot more business.

I did put some current pictures in the NEPA area of PA. ( Summering from the Mts of Pa to the Sea) or something like that..........It will show all the stores that are there now. The great looking movie theater, Barnes and Nobles, Tommy B, and others..........

Old 03-17-2009, 01:15 PM

The Market Common restaurants continue to be doing really well.. and quite excitingly (well for those of us that live here) there is another one opening up in a few weeks! (Article taken from the local paper)

King Street Grille, which has locations in Charleston, Mt. Pleasant and Kiawah Island, is opening in Myrtle Beach. Construction is progressing at the location in The Market Common, at 3040 Howard Ave.
The Market Common's Marketing Manager, Hatton Gravely, said King Street Grille's opening is tentatively scheduled for the beginning of May. People who attend The Market Common's first birthday celebration on April 4 will get a preview of some of King Street Grille's dishes when samples will be offered outside the restaurant from 5-6 p.m.
"King Street will have a table in the park and will be doing tastings all day as well (4-8:30)," Gravely wrote in an e-mail on March 14.
All Market Common restaurants will offer samples on April 4 in honor of the anniversary; we'll provide more details as the date approaches.
King Street Grill's menu features a build-your-own salad with an extensive list of ingredients, a variety of sliders, Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, Loaded Potato Egg Rolls, Prime Rib Wrap, Muffuletta, Salmon Melt, Stuffed Filet Mignon, Five Herb Crusted Salmon, Wild Mushroom Ravioli and Jambalaya.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:09 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,680,011 times
Wow, that movie theater at Market Commons is fantastic. It has all those leather, reclining seats.....No ones seat is in your way. They have a great price at the first showing to.

The Market looked quite active yesterday........the Spring season has arrived. People were outside eating ice cream from the creamery......Cold Creek.

The flowers were in bloom, and the stores had a lot of action. I think it is just perfect for the area...
Can't believe I didn't stop at Barnes and Nobles..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area