Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 06:07 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,880,941 times

Advertisements

I also heard the same thing. Escpecially about the grocery store, but someone mention that the prices are so much higher then some of the other Piggly Wiggly's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 06:54 PM

882 posts, read 3,538,824 times
Condo's/Townhomes in general aren't selling well in this market right now.. They are selling, just not at the record levels of a few years ago when every lender and their mother would give folks free money..

Market Commons opened at a very tough economic time, no doubt about it. The dtaes were set and there is little the stores can do aside from open on schedule and wish for the best. I'm sure that, over time, the entire area will do very well.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:09 AM

28 posts, read 137,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
I'm hearing this development is struggling. The grocery store is having trouble getting customers in the door so they're starting to have huge sales. I'm also hearing the apartments/condos aren't selling very well. Can anybody confirm these reports?
I live in The Market Commons.

It is pretty mixed depending on what sector you are looking at. The townhomes are selling well still, with about 2/3 owner occupied and 1/3 rented out as long term rentals.. there is only one house on our block that is empty. There have been no discounts on prices and they still sold.

By contrast, the Market Common "Village" condos are doing very VERY badly. but then what would you expect? $250k will get you a nice brick townhome with a yard and detached garage - or you can go accross the street and pay $350k for a one bedroom apartment with less than half the sq ft.

Some of the stores have done really well and the restaurants are doing very well too - you often have to wait up to 45 minutes for a table at places like Gordon Biersch and PF Changs. SOME are doing really badly. The Toy Isle was badly placed and suffered as a result. The Market Common is not designed to be a tourist attraction in the way that Broadway at the Beach is, and stores that aim at that market have not found the customers they need.

Unfortunately, some of the other stores are just a bit too pricey - it isnt that they are "over priced" just that the upmarket product tha they sell are out of the price range for the average Myrtle Beach shopper.

The new Piggly Wiggly is great - fantastic selection and not overpriced.. it may seem that way as there are a lot of higher quility goods which have a higher price - but the basic esentials are the same as you would find in any PW anywhere else.

The Market Common NEEDS a sign/gate at the junctions to 17 business and 17 Bypass. One of the biggest problems is that it is not easy to find and the junction at 17 Bypass is a joke - most people just drive past without realising there is anything there.

It is a beautiful place and all my neighbours and I love it there.. but of course we hope that it continues to expand - and it needs to in order to survive.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:51 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,676,644 times
Your right TR, the Market Common seems to need a bit of signage.
It is in its own little area that can be easily passed by without notice.

I can't wait to get back to Myrtle Beach and now finally go in the "opened" stores.
I watched it get built..........now I'd like to enjoy it !

Old 08-24-2008, 02:26 PM

Well.. it looks like Market Common has finally got the right idea!!

Market Common Living

This is exactly what the MC needs to bring it up to the next stage... go Hatton!!

Last edited by T166ERR; 08-24-2008 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: spelling mistakes!

Old 08-28-2008, 02:09 AM

Market Commons Myrtle Beach Update:

Divine Prime restaurant, Francesca's Collections, Rug Decor and Bag'n Baggage are all scheduled to open at The Market Common next week.

Tee Time Cafe opens on Friday to join the other recent openings including Fossil, which opened Monday, and The Big Tuna - which sells specialty gifts and home decor and has a pet photography studio - which opened on Tuesday.

Roy and Sid's American Kitchen opened recently as did a new confectionary store, a hairstylists, a florist, two art studios and a number of proffessional offices (lawyers, accountants and real estate agents)

Cooperative Bank is slated to open Sept. 15 and Dolce Lusso Salon & Spa on Oct. 1. - the spa is located between Tommy Bahamas and Gordon Beirsch in one of the nicest buildings in town (my wife is very excited about this one!).

Work is due to begin this fall on the new Toffinos Italian bakery and restaurant - complete with Italian style plaza and fountains!

They are also a just few weeks away from completing the new houses at the rear of Pinckey Square - they are beautiful (and 80% already sold) and their owners should start moving in soon.

The Burbery Terrace homes have just been released for pre-sale and I confess to having some house envy already.. from $400k you get a neo-colonial style beautiful lake front home.

Oh yes - and the $8 million dollar gymnasium and aquatics centre in Grand Park opens in October!

Old 09-12-2008, 08:00 AM

Finally!

Almost a year too late but the developers of the Market Common have decided that it might be a good idea to actually do something called "marketing".

For those of you - like the developers - who don't know what this is - take it from me, it is a fairly important part of any business strategy.

The good old "Build it and they will come" strategy might have worked for Kevin Costner but it hasn't worked all that well for the Market Common.

So as of today.. Hatten Gravely is the newly appointed Market Commons Marketing Manager!!

Wish her luck.. now she needs to convince them that she needs something called a "budget"..

Old 09-27-2008, 05:11 PM

10 posts, read 40,747 times
i keep hearing about them building a macys or even a neiman marcus over by market commons..but nothing concrete..i cant believe there are only 2 macys in all of SC..columbia and greenville..

Old 09-27-2008, 06:37 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,880,941 times
I would LOVE a Macy's! I emailed Macy's and they told me they have no plans for a Macy's to be built. I think they would do great here. Macy's is advertised on TV all the time - it is such a tease!

Old 09-27-2008, 09:23 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,877,837 times
I would never be able to get my wife out of the mall if there was a Macy*s here... hmmm, maybe we're on to something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area