Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 02:46 PM

43 posts, read 114,328 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just spent the last 3 days touring the major single family home builders in Market Commons. I haven't been able to find any single-point of discussion regarding them, so I figured I'd do a little write-up to spark discussion. Each of the first 3 are large national builders and you can find numerous negative reports online coming in from across the country. It seems because they have acquired so many different developers in different regions around the country that these reports are seemingly useless if not coming from your specific development area. I've seen very few negative, and a handful of positive reviews for these developers in the Carolinas.
  • Dock Street Communities - Sweetgrass Square
  • Beazer Homes
  • Lennar - Emmen's Preserve
  • D.R. Horton - Highlands @ Withers Preserve

Here are some of my observations. We were looking for smaller (by standards of this area) homes - 3 bedroom 2000 sqft - but 2-story designs. As a large portion of the market is retirees, the majority of offerings are single-story residences with no stairs, drastically reducing our model choices.

Previously occupied homes - Those in the area but outside Market Common, or buildouts west of HWY 17 seemed leagues away from the atmosphere in Market Common. We're moving from Boston but are originally from Pennsylvania and Market Common just has a wonderful buildout with everything you need, and so close to the beach that its hard to compete in our eyes. I also found crossing HWY 17 at Farrow Parkway to be far too busy for my desire to be able to golfcart, bicycle, scooter, or walk to the Beach. I understand they're elevating HWY17 there, but it seems like quite a project: not sure how long its scheduled to take. With the extreme drop in home prices in the past few years, its difficult for these home sellers to compete with the new construction offerings, as they've lowered their prices to what the market will bear at this time, and you're getting a brand new home of your liking. Re-focusing on Market Common developments:

Dockstreet Communities - Sweetgrass - We didn't think much of the build quality, home designs, or plot sizes. As an example, its not possible to open and properly re-close windows in the model homes. They are excellently located - just blocks from the Market Common shops and even closer to the beach, than the other developments.

Beazer Homes - We toured at Cameron Village - Very nice looking homes, wonderful sales staff and other employees. They won't have any details on their Market Common offerings until this fall. The only complaint I heard around town was that they skimp on build materials (with 24inches between studs), which is not something you want in a high wind area when Hurricanes are coming through. They may change their build parameters within the Market Common area, to soon to tell. They are open to non-structural modifications during the build process. They don't plan to offer a community pool in Market Commons. This was a negative for us. I also believe that their community's location is bottlenecked road-wise: The only way in and out is through Farrow Parkway. The communities on the south side have numerous roads out.

Lennar - Awesome community - supported on both sides by resident activities and planned events by Lennar during the continued buildout. They have stronger construction than Beazer (as confirmed by my own eyes on some houses in the framing stage). Their stance on all the 'upgrades' are standard means you get a good value offering - but with a higher base than competitors. They let you choose only 3 colors/materials. They are totally opposed to even the simplest modifications during the build. Healthy retiree community, but doesn't seem exclusionary. Beautiful Community center with pool, kids play area and exercise room. A little too cookie-cutter for us. Small plots. Their property backs up on a bicycle/walking trail - straight shot to Business 17 where you can cross to the state park for the beach.

D R Horton - Beautiful homes customized to your tailoring. They tour their steal tie-downs build methodology as a big-win in an area with possibility of hurricanes. The tie-downs are epoxy'd into the concrete slab and bolted to the frame every 6 feet to keep your home on the ground, even when winds are pushing it up. They have a home design center where you get to choose every last detail of the inside build, and they're willing to let minor modifications take place during the build process. Their Phase II buildout is starting in the next 6-9 months which includes 16 plots backing up to a lake. I've put myself on the interest list for those. They have a community pool coming, but it doesn't sound as impressive as Lennar's. Their plots are larger - 70ft wide, giving you a little more room between neighbors.

I spoke to homeowners from Beazer, Lennar and D R Horton and all were pleased with their purchases and said they would do so again. For the few who had minor warranty issues, they said builders were responsive in resolving them.

Residents said there are no issues with air traffic overhead - an occasional helicopter or air-force plane mid-day.

Would love to hear others observations - both those touring and those living in these communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 03:55 PM

124 posts, read 227,666 times
Logicx, we are building a Beazer Home in Lafayette Park, Little River and have our plans in front of us. All exterior walls and interior bearing walls are 16" on center. The only 24" on center are non bearing walls. Hope this helps. I'm sure you can confirm this with the Beazer builder. Every builder must build to code. Market Common is lovely. Good luck with whichever builder you go with!

Old 07-20-2012, 04:57 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
Glad to see your posting about the Market Commons homes.
I am looking forward myself to the start of the Beazer homes as there is only dirt there now. Sad, to hear that there will be no pool. There are a few communities around for you to see the quality of their buildings. I think they seem to make a solid medium priced home that most can afford.
The floor plans on Dockstreet are very small. I feel that even retired people need room for guests, and their family visits.
They are so very charming but are bumped together and extremely close. Most people enjoy a small yard of some type and it isn't built for that need. I found the idea really interesting but the floor plans too small and along with the yard issue not on my favorite list.
Lennar, Extremely well built homes and yes, an awesome community. I too don't like cookie-cutter either. I believe people like to have some sort of yard. I , myself don't want a huge yard anymore but enough to feel seperate from my neighbor. However, they did one big fantastic job on a gorgeous pool. A huge asset that many would love.
DR Horton I love how they set themselves just in off the Farrow Parkway. Having a home on the lake would be a joy.
I love living along the lagoon here. I've seen so many interesting birds and wildlife. They are a quality group, and the homes are awesome. On the higher end, but in that location they should loose no value.

I love that the poster did his homework before buying. Your posting is a great help to others heading this way.

Market Commons is such asset to our area. It is wonderful having everything at your fingertips. Plus, having the ocean nearby. How lucky can one get? Wonderful luck to you and others moving this way.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:15 AM

The more you know... I dug up this old archive of the Withers Preserve website. So I guess I've been calling the area by the wrong name. Market Common is but a subset of the former Withers Preserve plan. (Why Lennar decided to throw the name "Emmen's Preserve" into the mix escapes me)

You can see a wonderful PDF map of what the area looks like, and what their plan was.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:31 PM

3 posts, read 31,065 times
Default Market Common

Thanks for the nice research. We did not see the issue with Dock Street's construction you mentioned and rated their build quality as the best. The map is great too.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:55 PM

Default Dock Street Communities and DR Horton negative AngiesList Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
We did not see the issue with Dock Street's construction you mentioned and rated their build quality as the best.
Interesting - We even heard confirmation from one of the live/work townhome tenants who worked in home building for 20 years that they were disappointed with the build quality, sound proofing between units, etc.

How did you evaluate the construction quality? I didn't get a chance to see Dock Street's single family homes during the framing phase, and my expertise is not in construction. My opinion may have just been marred by poor window quality choice. They may also have different results between their different style homes in Market Common.

I'd also found the following negative review (D rating) on AngiesList for Dock Street:

Quote:
Report Date: August 09, 2009
Work Completed Date: February 01, 2009
Description Of Work:
Sold towhhome house(brick) in Market Common area. The home was built 6 months ago.
Member Comments:
I bought a townhome from Dock street community recently. Home was built by Chancel. I regret buying it so much now after finding about their poor craftmanship. A lot of things are not installed properly (electric outlet and switched) and I am suffering so much to fix it for more than a month. Even the garage door they put broke down in two weeks and noone came and fix it for a week. They have one year warranty comes with all appliances and everything in the house. Sure they have to. Beacuse everything will break down in first month. It is so annoying that things in a new home is not working properly and no one would like to take care of it (those who sold it-Centry 21 Boling and Dock street community). The water pressure was extremely low and the electrician and plumber both said (they came over to honor the warranty) the builder used too cheap materials and that's why so many of them are already broken. Surprisingly, the elerician said the switch might be delivered broken and they were told to install it anyways. You won't believe how much I paid for this lousy house. I hope no one else make the same mistake that I did. I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy home from Dock Street Community/Chancel. They advertise how wonderful the community is. The whole area is beautiful. The home is horrible. It will fall apart as soon as you move in. Dock Street Community is the worst builder I've ever seen. Go to other properties in the area (Lenar and Withers) if you want to buy a home in Market Common.
FWIW - there's a similar poor review of DR Horton:
Quote:
Report Date: October 22, 2009
Work Completed Date: August 01, 2006
Description Of Work:
I purchased a home from DR Horton in 2006. The services provided were the construction of a new home as well as the development.
Member Comments:
Before purchasing in August of 2006, DR Horton's representatives told me that I would have access to a swimming pool and amenity center. It is now October of 2009 and our development is still without a pool and amenity center. Before you purchase your home with DR Horton make sure the amenity center has been completed. If they "promise that it will be built", make sure you have that in writing from the lawers that represent their company before going to closing . Additionally, despite being a new home make sure you have someone inspect the property thoroughly before you go to closing. The workmanship was sub-standard. The sheetrock, plumbing and carpeting was completed very messy and sloppy. I had to polish up a lot of the mess on my own dollar. Given these experiences, the price I paid wasn't worth the purchase.

Last edited by LogicX; 07-23-2012 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: bad URL

Old 07-23-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB1234 View Post
Logicx, we are building a Beazer Home in Lafayette Park, Little River and have our plans in front of us. All exterior walls and interior bearing walls are 16" on center. The only 24" on center are non bearing walls. Hope this helps. I'm sure you can confirm this with the Beazer builder. Every builder must build to code. Market Common is lovely. Good luck with whichever builder you go with!
Thanks for the data point regarding your other Beazer Home. I'll certainly have to check with Beazer once they have the details for the builds near Market Common.

(disclaimer: I have minimal construction knowledge, just a good googler)

Although every builder must build to code, it seems Myrtle Beach has adopted the International Building Code which has the following table showing the code as far as stud spacing:

(source)

Which appears to allow 24 inches on center for single-story residences, if I'm reading that chart correctly.
This would mean that it is permitted by code, and would require the developer to optionally space them closer (which we'd certainly hope they do in a windy coastal area!)

Old 07-23-2012, 09:26 PM

124 posts, read 227,666 times
Logicx,
My husband is a licensed building inspector and he is comfortable with the plans we have for building our new Beazer home. I never said 24" on center was not code. Rather, I posted what our Beazer plans stated. I'm sure with your keen focus and research, you will find the home of your dreams. Again, best of luck to you.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:07 AM

3 posts, read 31,065 times
We spent a week in the area and did a walk around. We spent time with the builders Lennar, and listened to their pitch. As we had our bikes with us we rode around the area and spoke with people who were out in those neighborhoods. As for our non professional view of the construction- it is all visual. We looked at the fit and finish, opened and closed doors windows and checked what we could see only. I don't know if the quality of soundproofing or lightswittches is bad but I would like to believe that these builders don't want to screw up too much in today's market. The trim finishes in the Dockstreet were all aligned as was the wood floors and tiles. The sinks and toilets were square to our eyes. The Horton home did not have the same quality of finish and we noticed this on the exterior. We really didn't see much to complain about with the Lennar models to note. Angies feedback does mean something but I'm not sure how to use that in making a decision. I

Old 07-25-2012, 03:55 AM

Default Another: The Cottages on Farrow Parkway by Coldwell Banker's Chicora Real Estate

I forgot to mention another great home buildout in the area:

The Cottages on Farrow Parkway by Coldwell Banker's Chicora Real Estate - This is a nicely built 2-story beach-style home with enclosed parking directly inside/underneath the residence. Each building has the ability to accomodate a personal elevator either during initial build or as a later addition. They were nice and seemed to be built fine, but just not exactly the single family home style we were looking for.

Its marketed by Wally Snyder, who was very helpful in telling us about The Cottages and the area. He also runs MyrtleBeach.cc where you can learn more about the history of the area formerly known as Withers Preserve. His wife Patricia Blackstock also happens to run funbeaches.com which has tons of informative information on the area, jobs, relocating here, etc. and has its own forum.

Since I didn't provide it before, here's the complete list, linking to each:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area