Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 09:59 AM

43 posts, read 114,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allypet View Post
Any movement in new developments in the Market common area? I really like the area, but I'm waiting for something a little more affordable to show up.
I don't think you're going to find anything more affordable -- the prices are actually going up. Last month DR Horton raised prices $6k and Lennar raised prices $5k.

The prices are already down a huge percentage from a few years ago (Look at zillow.com for 29577 (zipcode of Market Common)). You'll see it peaked in summer 2006 and has since returned to 2003 levels, and is now back on the rise.

If you're going to jump -- jump now, during the off season, because I have a feeling it'll come back strong in the spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 04:59 PM

6 posts, read 17,358 times
We bought from DockStreet builders in Sweetgrass Square almost two years ago as a second home. For us, the entire construction experience was fantastic. The builders were responsive and both allowed us to modify plans and were responsive to minor fixes and repairs for a year after finishing construction, the process was uncomplicated compared to other areas where we have built home and the home thus far (knock on wood) has had no major problems to speak of. The whole area is fantastic, we love being both close to Market Common and close enough at the south end of Market Common area to walk/bike ride very easily to the beach. We purposely bought into the concept of Sweetgrass Square because we enjoyed the variety of plans, particularly with 10 foot ceilings which increase the sense of size and space, we wanted virtually no yard maintenance but still have a single family home and we just enjoyed the look and feel of the entire community. Hope you find your experience rewarding!!

Old 11-26-2012, 05:28 AM

638 posts, read 994,743 times
We were just down there visiting last week as we are VERY interested in that area as well. The model home is almost finished in The Reserve which is Beazer. Right across the street from there a new builder is breaking ground for a new development called Cresswind. The builder is Kolter and looks and sounds VERY promising. It is suppose to be open in the spring. You might want to check it out on the internet and add it as one of your options. They already have homes in Georgia and Florida which everyone seems to be VERY pleased with from what I read. We have added it to our possibilities and can't wait to see it in the spring!

Old 11-26-2012, 07:05 AM

My wife and I (in our 20s) have now moved to the area and are renting in DR Horton's Highlands @ Withers Preserve.

Cresswind is a 55+ active adult community. No models on the website yet, but I'm keeping an eye on it for my parents.

Beazer is set to open The Reserve the first week of December. No models on the site either yet.

We've decided to wait until the spring to see if The Estates or Balmoral neighborhoods start being redeveloped (if bank owners are successful in selling it to developers). The Estates was originally spec'd with 80 ft wide by as much as 200ft back lots, almost all with wooded private back yards. DR Horton is the only other developer offering 80ft wide lots, but they share back yards - the private back yards are only on 70 ft wide lots.

Rumors are flying as to whether it'll be DR Horton, Lennar, or another developer who gets Balmoral and The Estates. Time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
We were just down there visiting last week as we are VERY interested in that area as well. The model home is almost finished in The Reserve which is Beazer. Right across the street from there a new builder is breaking ground for a new development called Cresswind. The builder is Kolter and looks and sounds VERY promising. It is suppose to be open in the spring. You might want to check it out on the internet and add it as one of your options. They already have homes in Georgia and Florida which everyone seems to be VERY pleased with from what I read. We have added it to our possibilities and can't wait to see it in the spring!

Old 01-31-2013, 07:24 AM

22 posts, read 45,558 times
Hi folks,
So glad I found this posting. Although I was set on building in Southport, my husband has changed his mind. In a compromise, he is willing to look at the market commons area. I cannot find any information on the new cresswind community. Their website has no clues to the style of house. Has anyone received the information pkg.? I wish someone would develop a more custom community that is not designed for a growing family. So far I see cookie-cutter box homes or extravagant very large homes. Am I missing a community that builds 2000 sq.ft. sizes with a custom touch? I sure hope cresswind will be that. I love the location. Thank-you for all the great info on this thread!

Old 01-31-2013, 09:41 AM

They haven't released any info about the houses yet, but my contact who is selling them says they'll be very similar to some of these models from a different community of theirs.

Other developers tried custom home communities, but the prices made them most cost-prohibitive, and they failed. Also the Market Common area is a Master Planned Urban Development, so they have rules regarding the home sizes, layouts, etc. so that the communities are uniform.

Cresswind is expected to open in March with 6 model homes from what I hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlooking View Post
Hi folks,
So glad I found this posting. Although I was set on building in Southport, my husband has changed his mind. In a compromise, he is willing to look at the market commons area. I cannot find any information on the new cresswind community. Their website has no clues to the style of house. Has anyone received the information pkg.? I wish someone would develop a more custom community that is not designed for a growing family. So far I see cookie-cutter box homes or extravagant very large homes. Am I missing a community that builds 2000 sq.ft. sizes with a custom touch? I sure hope cresswind will be that. I love the location. Thank-you for all the great info on this thread!

Old 02-01-2013, 08:41 AM

215 posts, read 545,301 times
I took my Grandson to the park by the lake.

TWO swings. Tiny playground for tots.

What's up with that?

Old 02-01-2013, 10:50 AM

Sorry, I just moved to the area, and I don't have any connections to those who worked on the master plan.

I do see that work is still being done to improve the area, as they're actively building more baseball diamonds.

Have you expressed your concerns with the City of Myrtle Beach? Perhaps the input would be helpful for future planning of development of the area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcamp View Post
I took my Grandson to the park by the lake.

TWO swings. Tiny playground for tots.

What's up with that?

Old 04-14-2013, 11:58 AM

Default I can tell you this Lennar homes are not for me don't know what you saw but they have homes across from the model that

i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicX View Post
My wife and I just spent the last 3 days touring the major single family home builders in Market Commons. I haven't been able to find any single-point of discussion regarding them, so I figured I'd do a little write-up to spark discussion. Each of the first 3 are large national builders and you can find numerous negative reports online coming in from across the country. It seems because they have acquired so many different developers in different regions around the country that these reports are seemingly useless if not coming from your specific development area. I've seen very few negative, and a handful of positive reviews for these developers in the Carolinas.
  • Dock Street Communities - Sweetgrass Square
  • Beazer Homes
  • Lennar - Emmen's Preserve
  • D.R. Horton - Highlands @ Withers Preserve

Here are some of my observations. We were looking for smaller (by standards of this area) homes - 3 bedroom 2000 sqft - but 2-story designs. As a large portion of the market is retirees, the majority of offerings are single-story residences with no stairs, drastically reducing our model choices.

Previously occupied homes - Those in the area but outside Market Common, or buildouts west of HWY 17 seemed leagues away from the atmosphere in Market Common. We're moving from Boston but are originally from Pennsylvania and Market Common just has a wonderful buildout with everything you need, and so close to the beach that its hard to compete in our eyes. I also found crossing HWY 17 at Farrow Parkway to be far too busy for my desire to be able to golfcart, bicycle, scooter, or walk to the Beach. I understand they're elevating HWY17 there, but it seems like quite a project: not sure how long its scheduled to take. With the extreme drop in home prices in the past few years, its difficult for these home sellers to compete with the new construction offerings, as they've lowered their prices to what the market will bear at this time, and you're getting a brand new home of your liking. Re-focusing on Market Common developments:

Dockstreet Communities - Sweetgrass - We didn't think much of the build quality, home designs, or plot sizes. As an example, its not possible to open and properly re-close windows in the model homes. They are excellently located - just blocks from the Market Common shops and even closer to the beach, than the other developments.

Beazer Homes - We toured at Cameron Village - Very nice looking homes, wonderful sales staff and other employees. They won't have any details on their Market Common offerings until this fall. The only complaint I heard around town was that they skimp on build materials (with 24inches between studs), which is not something you want in a high wind area when Hurricanes are coming through. They may change their build parameters within the Market Common area, to soon to tell. They are open to non-structural modifications during the build process. They don't plan to offer a community pool in Market Commons. This was a negative for us. I also believe that their community's location is bottlenecked road-wise: The only way in and out is through Farrow Parkway. The communities on the south side have numerous roads out.

Lennar - Awesome community - supported on both sides by resident activities and planned events by Lennar during the continued buildout. They have stronger construction than Beazer (as confirmed by my own eyes on some houses in the framing stage). Their stance on all the 'upgrades' are standard means you get a good value offering - but with a higher base than competitors. They let you choose only 3 colors/materials. They are totally opposed to even the simplest modifications during the build. Healthy retiree community, but doesn't seem exclusionary. Beautiful Community center with pool, kids play area and exercise room. A little too cookie-cutter for us. Small plots. Their property backs up on a bicycle/walking trail - straight shot to Business 17 where you can cross to the state park for the beach.

D R Horton - Beautiful homes customized to your tailoring. They tour their steal tie-downs build methodology as a big-win in an area with possibility of hurricanes. The tie-downs are epoxy'd into the concrete slab and bolted to the frame every 6 feet to keep your home on the ground, even when winds are pushing it up. They have a home design center where you get to choose every last detail of the inside build, and they're willing to let minor modifications take place during the build process. Their Phase II buildout is starting in the next 6-9 months which includes 16 plots backing up to a lake. I've put myself on the interest list for those. They have a community pool coming, but it doesn't sound as impressive as Lennar's. Their plots are larger - 70ft wide, giving you a little more room between neighbors.

I spoke to homeowners from Beazer, Lennar and D R Horton and all were pleased with their purchases and said they would do so again. For the few who had minor warranty issues, they said builders were responsive in resolving them.

Residents said there are no issues with air traffic overhead - an occasional helicopter or air-force plane mid-day.

Would love to hear others observations - both those touring and those living in these communities.

Last edited by Lover of Animals; 04-14-2013 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: going with beazer

Old 04-15-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
i
You probably can tell by the way it is written,but just in case there's a doubt or you're confused,I did not write the above post. I wish I could delete it,but couldn't find a way since it was done yesterday. No biggie.....just a little annoying. I would prefer writing my own posts. From now on,I will make sure I am logged out. Thanks for listening and thanks for all your helpful information.

Last edited by Lover of Animals; 04-15-2013 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: Needed to add a couple of sentences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area