Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 10:50 AM

97 posts, read 315,750 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've lived in NC all my life and without going into personal business, my two kids and I need a change. The vibe here is stifling, there's not much joy and my kids are just 3 and 4. I've already made the decision to get them into a place where they will have peace in their home. I just need to decide where that will be.

My uncle has a place at North Myrtle, I've spent a lot of time there over the years and I'm pretty familiar with the area but I've never lived there so I'm dealing with concerns/questions I never had before. I want to live near the beach and one issue I'm coming across frequently is condo/apartment rentals advertised but the owners are looking for someone to fill them short-term, usually until March or April. I get that they rent them out to folks on vacation and do need tenants to fill them during off-season months but I'm looking for a residential agreement, something fairly long-term. I've found a couple of places that are in my price range, look nice/clean in photos (I'll drive down to see them in person, of course) and are specifically advertised as long-term rentals, asking for 12-month leases, which is what I want. Are the residential apartments in the small buildings that are so near the beach (less than half a mile) normally rented to long-term residents? I would think owners could make more money renting to vacationers during summer months but I can understand wanting to get a reliable tenant in the place and just having a steady rental income. I'm not doing the snowbird thing so I'm worried about an owner who doesn't mind lots of turnover who might want to end the lease early or not renew it if there's enough demand to make a lot more money renting by the week or month. Is this a downside to living so close to the beach and in an area of mostly vacation homes?

I've read other threads where people mentioned the crime rate being higher during tourist season. I'm looking for ground level apartments and it'll just be me and the kids living there. I don't live in fear but I'd like to hear any opinions about whether I should worry about the whole crime issue. Is there really that much of a spike during summer months? Is there a certain type of crime? If someone breaks into my car or lifts my purse when I set it down at a restaurant or something, I can replace whatever they take. I'm more curious about violent crime rates and if they're higher in certain areas or certain times of the year.

Re: the tourist season, frankly, I don't think the whole "May-September" tourist season is as cut and dried as it used to be when we had more clearly defined seasons. Now, an October or November beach trip is common and a lot of times, better than a beach trip in August, when it's sometimes just too hot even for those of us who like the heat. MB/NMB residents, have you noticed the tourist season stretching out and getting longer than it used to be? As a resident, is tourist season something that's dreaded? Some residents seem to think of it as a mild but tolerable inconvenience and mention that it's at least a nice economy boost. Others talk about it like it's the plague and even resent tourists for just being there. Are there common complaints about tourist season besides crime rate and traffic? And if so, are they minor inconveniences or real problems that residents are concerned about? Sometimes I have trouble putting these things into context. Like, I know the traffic is heavier in the summer but I can deal with that. Is it just more congested or is it practically impossible to get through town during those months? Any thoughts on the downsides of the tourist season would be very helpful. A lot of times people voice complaints but if they're not put into perspective, it's difficult to know if what bothers them would necessarily bother me. One person's "unbearable" might be somebody else's "not that bad".

One of my pet peeves is people telling me, "You might like to visit the beach but trust me, you wouldn't want to live there." Aaarrrghh!! I'll decide where I want to live. No, I'm not sure yet but there's a good chance that we'd love living there. I'm definitely not moving there because I love the beach and have this genius plan to live there so life will be one never-ending beach vacation. I admit, I did have that genius plan when I was 18 or so but thankfully, I never got around to actually moving. I'm a little older and wiser now so I'm really trying to think ahead and not make a hasty decision. I think I'd enjoy living there for several reasons. I have a sentimental attachment to the area and lots of great childhood memories, I've always found the folks there to be very friendly. My family still stays in contact with the people who live year-round in the neighborhood where my uncle's house is and they look out for the place when nobody's there like neighbors do here. Maybe that shaped my view of North Myrtle Beach as just as good a place to live as to visit. I love the salt air, I like the weather except for when the heat is so bad it's dangerous to be outside, I love all the different places to eat and all the things to do. And kids grow up really fast. I figure living near the beach with all the things there are to see and do will make for some awesome memories for my kids just like I had. I still have a couple of years before they start kindergarten and I want to take advantage of that time while we can just relax and not have to work around a schedule every day. Not that I'm against structure but you're only a kid once. Here, their favorite thing to do is go the McDonald's play area. That's just sad.

I'm not going to have to work if I stay within the budget I've set. Not that I'm rich, but I do have some income and I don't need much to be comfortable. For me, enough is plenty and I have found several places that are small but within my budget and would be fine. That eliminates one major setback people run into when they move to the area needing work and not knowing how hard it can be to find. I can always come back if this turns out to be a disaster but I'd rather do it right if I'm going to do it at all and avoid a disaster altogether.

There's nothing like input from folks who know the area and live there so, I'm sorry for the long post and all the questions but there's no better place to ask and I'd really appreciate the feedback. You guys know what it's like better than anyone so I'll definitely value any info or advice you have to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 01:01 PM

312 posts, read 732,871 times
Well hi there....it seems like you have pretty much made up your mind then?!!!

I have lived in NMB for going on 10 years and live right in the heart of it all...being directly off of Main Street......you can rent a townhouse, condo, etc. but you have to put into your criteria "long term" rentals......if you do not have a pet, it will make it a lot easier for you to find a place.....

I can say truly that I have seen a "major" change in NMB in the last 3 years or so....since the economy took a hit so to speak......my husband works for Horry County and where I once walked my 100 pound retired racing greyhound in the evenings and night, makes me a bit uncomfortable now....not that I am frightened but leery.....it is a transient area and you just have to keep your eyes open......some here will say there isn't a lot of crime in NMB and that is mostly because it isn't announced in the news.....my experiences have been with mostly drug related crimes such as home invasions, etc...and if they go wrong, yes these people are dangerous and armed.....we also have a sadly horrible homeless problem in NMB....they make me sad mostly but my husband told me unfortunately some of them are turning to crime to feed themselves.....last night as we were walking in our neighborhood at about 6:30, he spotted one of the homeless we see often trying all the handles to the cars parked in our lot.....he was frightened when he saw us and I do not think they mean any harm...or maybe they are afraid of my greyhound....

Best of luck to you in your move!!! I know they rent some of the townhouses in my development...Sea Garden...if you search under that name.........we are selling our townhouse if you want to buy one!!
I think since you pretty much know what to expect and that you do not have to find employment, you will do very well here!

Old 11-07-2013, 05:07 AM

62 posts, read 116,933 times
I moved to North Myrtle Beach in 1985, and have been in the area ever since, although in 1992 I moved just across the waterway to Little River. I am a little more than three miles from the beach. I love this area, and would suggest if at all possible thinking about buying instead of renting. There are inexpensive condos available off the beach area and they just reinstated the USDA loan program that was suspended when the government shut down. You need NO money down, but it has to be in the approved area, but I can tell you there are nice places available in their criteria area. The Longs area is an approved area and it isn't far from the beach at all. As far as crime goes, it seems to be mostly area specific, in the tourist area where the population is transient like the previous poster said. I have never had an issue living here, and absolutely love Little River. Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area