Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 08:58 AM

15 posts, read 27,469 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your great post. While I am familiar with MB, me and my spouse just made our first stop in MB in years. While we were there we visited Market Commons and we fell in love with what they have done so far, but we didn't have much time to linger and model shop. We found the information available online for Market Commons lacking. You have answered a lot of questions we had.

But for us a condo/townhome or a small house is more to our liking. We would like a second home and Market Common is a great location, but kind of pricey for MB.
We looked at Dockstreet, and they have some townhouses, but we felt the price point was just a bit too high. I hope that Beazer will have a few offerings more in line with our wants. I don't think there are any other offerings for us, but please correct me if I'm wrong .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 09:45 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,661,012 times
Our extended family fell in love with Market Commons too. Beazers prices are not out as yet but they are usually reasonable. It has been a common complaint that the Market Commons homes are a bit high for the area.
I still feel for this southern area they should include a pool and there is not one in the plot design.

Having everything at your fingertips is quite nice and many are taking advantage of that. It really can be so nice to be able to walk to a Barnes and Nobles and a nice restaurant.

I have had out of country people explain to me how they like this type of Market Common design. Using no car during their local area.

I'm sure I would not miss one upcoming movie if I lived right in the Commons. The theater there is just awesome with its leather reclining seats.

It is so pet friendly in this southern part of SC. There is also the Bark Park that is close by. So many people also walk their pets around the pond area across from the Commons. You can bike ride too. All the walkways are in and a ride or walk is quite pleasant.

Many of our visitors like the small boutique stores with the apartments above. The only other homes there that might be considered reasonable are the cottage homes and most of us feel that the floor plans are small. There is also the issue of closeness to one another.

I hope all the visitors come and enjoy the Market Commons a great asset to Myrtle Beach.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:44 AM

62 posts, read 125,334 times
LogicX thanks for all the work you've done looking into houses! We are from the Boston area as well.

We absolutely love the Market Common area & have a condo in the general area ( just on the other side of 17 ) I wonder what the insurance rates are as I thought 17 divided the costs? Not as though 17 is going to stop any potential hurricanes lol..Please don't quote me on this as I really don't know that to be true! Just wondered if you had any information on this.

If we are to stay in the MB area eventually we'd like to purchase a small home, instead of a one bedroom condo where it's possible one of us might end up in the fountain lake!

Old 07-30-2012, 10:06 AM

790 posts, read 1,620,754 times
Generally, the Intercoastal Waterway is the dividing line for lower insurance costs.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:40 PM

31 posts, read 57,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB1234 View Post
Logicx, we are building a Beazer Home in Lafayette Park, Little River and have our plans in front of us. All exterior walls and interior bearing walls are 16" on center. The only 24" on center are non bearing walls. Hope this helps. I'm sure you can confirm this with the Beazer builder. Every builder must build to code. Market Common is lovely. Good luck with whichever builder you go with!

We just bought in Lafayette 3 mos ago. Like it so far. Had some minor cosmetic issues on walk through that were fixed promptly. Enjoy your new home neighbor! When is it scheduled for completion.... my guess is that you will probably be right down the street from me

Old 07-30-2012, 07:22 PM

62 posts, read 125,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
Generally, the Intercoastal Waterway is the dividing line for lower insurance costs.
makes good sense! thanks have a wonderful evening!

Old 08-05-2012, 06:49 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,661,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttobewarm View Post
LogicX thanks for all the work you've done looking into houses! We are from the Boston area as well.

We absolutely love the Market Common area & have a condo in the general area ( just on the other side of 17 ) I wonder what the insurance rates are as I thought 17 divided the costs? Not as though 17 is going to stop any potential hurricanes lol..Please don't quote me on this as I really don't know that to be true! Just wondered if you had any information on this.

If we are to stay in the MB area eventually we'd like to purchase a small home, instead of a one bedroom condo where it's possible one of us might end up in the fountain lake!
Our home is before the waterway, east of the waterway, but our regular home insurance is not high.
However the flood insurance can be quite high per year.
This is a great location though off of 544 and up from the new Target and Marshalls, Petco too.
Just 8 minutes to the beach. Love it! Whats nice is it is quiet here too in this general area.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:36 PM

124 posts, read 227,701 times
Maryland Transport, home is supposed to be finished Octoberish. We'll be done this week for 10 days so we'll get to see it! I know it's been framed and sheathed. Have friends that sent pictures and said they were hammering away yesterday....on Sunday! It's on Blackpepper Loop at intersection of the new street named Sweeney.We have a small pond in the backyard!

Old 08-08-2012, 12:35 PM

20 posts, read 35,459 times
As a builder myself, I'm not too impressed with the "box" boys like Beazer, Lenoir, etc.

If you are ok with the simple "budget box" construction they offer- then all is good.

But when you start adding upgrades (vinyl to tile, etc) your square foot costs start going into areas where you could get a better built home, with better quality stuff using a custom builder. Back in the heyday, the box builders had a huge advantage since they could buy up 200 hundred acre tracts of land and get their investment back a little bit at a time on the 400 homes they put on that 200 acres.

Not so much now- land prices along the Grand Strand have plummeted...homes in the Grande Dunes (THE place to live for the most part) start at 150 bucks a square foot. Plus, you are on a 1/2 acre lot.

A friend of mine just priced a Beazer home and with upgrades he was at 107.00/SF. And this is nothing extravagent. Stuff like granite countertops in the kitchen, and tiled bathrooms. Plus, he basically can watch his neighbor do their dishes since the homes are only about 14 feet apart. NO THANKS.

I'm not bashing any of the builders- but just make sure you calculate and shop your costs per square foot before making a decision.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:19 PM

108 posts, read 227,380 times
Our Beazer home in Lafayette Park in Little River is about 30 feet from our neighbors on each side (not 14) and based on the way the houses are designed you really cannot see into your neighbors home due to limited windows on one side and a berm in the backyard blocking the neighbors behind us. This allows for considerable privacy. Although we could not "customize" our home we had at least 8 models to choose from and upgraded just about everything. We considered the prices very reasonable. How could we not, coming from Massachusetts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area