Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 05:02 PM

638 posts, read 992,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicX View Post
My wife and I (in our 20s) have now moved to the area and are renting in DR Horton's Highlands @ Withers Preserve.

Cresswind is a 55+ active adult community. No models on the website yet, but I'm keeping an eye on it for my parents.

Beazer is set to open The Reserve the first week of December. No models on the site either yet.

We've decided to wait until the spring to see if The Estates or Balmoral neighborhoods start being redeveloped (if bank owners are successful in selling it to developers). The Estates was originally spec'd with 80 ft wide by as much as 200ft back lots, almost all with wooded private back yards. DR Horton is the only other developer offering 80ft wide lots, but they share back yards - the private back yards are only on 70 ft wide lots.

Rumors are flying as to whether it'll be DR Horton, Lennar, or another developer who gets Balmoral and The Estates. Time will tell.
We visited Cresswind a couple of weeks ago during a VIP tour and was told it is an active community,but not limited to 55+. It will consist of all ages. We didn't particularly like the models we saw. The one we saw that we liked on the internet was not built yet. They are suppose to let us know when it is ready for viewing. The HOA is a sticker shock,but when broken down into all the different things you get,not that bad. Their grand opening for everyone is this week-end April 20th. We are aware of The Estates and will probably take a look at them when they open. However,we weren't aware of Balmoral. Where is it suppose to be located? We like one of the models in The Reserve(Savannah),but aren't too happy how they are packing them in there. From what I understand though from a realtor in Emmens Preserve where they are even closer,the closer you get to the beach,the higher the land is and that is why they are so close. I guess if you want the Market Common lifestyle,that is something you have to accept. The homesites in The Estates are suppose to be larger,but more expensive as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
We visited Cresswind a couple of weeks ago during a VIP tour and was told it is an active community,but not limited to 55+. It will consist of all ages. We didn't particularly like the models we saw. The one we saw that we liked on the internet was not built yet. They are suppose to let us know when it is ready for viewing. The HOA is a sticker shock,but when broken down into all the different things you get,not that bad. Their grand opening for everyone is this week-end April 20th. We are aware of The Estates and will probably take a look at them when they open. However,we weren't aware of Balmoral. Where is it suppose to be located? We like one of the models in The Reserve(Savannah),but aren't too happy how they are packing them in there. From what I understand though from a realtor in Emmens Preserve where they are even closer,the closer you get to the beach,the higher the land is and that is why they are so close. I guess if you want the Market Common lifestyle,that is something you have to accept. The homesites in The Estates are suppose to be larger,but more expensive as well.
Found out Balmoral is in Withers Preserve. Most are very large and expensive. Another huge negative is the detached garages.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicX View Post
My wife and I just spent the last 3 days touring the major single family home builders in Market Commons. I haven't been able to find any single-point of discussion regarding them, so I figured I'd do a little write-up to spark discussion. Each of the first 3 are large national builders and you can find numerous negative reports online coming in from across the country. It seems because they have acquired so many different developers in different regions around the country that these reports are seemingly useless if not coming from your specific development area. I've seen very few negative, and a handful of positive reviews for these developers in the Carolinas.
  • Dock Street Communities - Sweetgrass Square
  • Beazer Homes
  • Lennar - Emmen's Preserve
  • D.R. Horton - Highlands @ Withers Preserve

Here are some of my observations. We were looking for smaller (by standards of this area) homes - 3 bedroom 2000 sqft - but 2-story designs. As a large portion of the market is retirees, the majority of offerings are single-story residences with no stairs, drastically reducing our model choices.

Previously occupied homes - Those in the area but outside Market Common, or buildouts west of HWY 17 seemed leagues away from the atmosphere in Market Common. We're moving from Boston but are originally from Pennsylvania and Market Common just has a wonderful buildout with everything you need, and so close to the beach that its hard to compete in our eyes. I also found crossing HWY 17 at Farrow Parkway to be far too busy for my desire to be able to golfcart, bicycle, scooter, or walk to the Beach. I understand they're elevating HWY17 there, but it seems like quite a project: not sure how long its scheduled to take. With the extreme drop in home prices in the past few years, its difficult for these home sellers to compete with the new construction offerings, as they've lowered their prices to what the market will bear at this time, and you're getting a brand new home of your liking. Re-focusing on Market Common developments:

Dockstreet Communities - Sweetgrass - We didn't think much of the build quality, home designs, or plot sizes. As an example, its not possible to open and properly re-close windows in the model homes. They are excellently located - just blocks from the Market Common shops and even closer to the beach, than the other developments.

Beazer Homes - We toured at Cameron Village - Very nice looking homes, wonderful sales staff and other employees. They won't have any details on their Market Common offerings until this fall. The only complaint I heard around town was that they skimp on build materials (with 24inches between studs), which is not something you want in a high wind area when Hurricanes are coming through. They may change their build parameters within the Market Common area, to soon to tell. They are open to non-structural modifications during the build process. They don't plan to offer a community pool in Market Commons. This was a negative for us. I also believe that their community's location is bottlenecked road-wise: The only way in and out is through Farrow Parkway. The communities on the south side have numerous roads out.

Lennar - Awesome community - supported on both sides by resident activities and planned events by Lennar during the continued buildout. They have stronger construction than Beazer (as confirmed by my own eyes on some houses in the framing stage). Their stance on all the 'upgrades' are standard means you get a good value offering - but with a higher base than competitors. They let you choose only 3 colors/materials. They are totally opposed to even the simplest modifications during the build. Healthy retiree community, but doesn't seem exclusionary. Beautiful Community center with pool, kids play area and exercise room. A little too cookie-cutter for us. Small plots. Their property backs up on a bicycle/walking trail - straight shot to Business 17 where you can cross to the state park for the beach.

D R Horton - Beautiful homes customized to your tailoring. They tour their steal tie-downs build methodology as a big-win in an area with possibility of hurricanes. The tie-downs are epoxy'd into the concrete slab and bolted to the frame every 6 feet to keep your home on the ground, even when winds are pushing it up. They have a home design center where you get to choose every last detail of the inside build, and they're willing to let minor modifications take place during the build process. Their Phase II buildout is starting in the next 6-9 months which includes 16 plots backing up to a lake. I've put myself on the interest list for those. They have a community pool coming, but it doesn't sound as impressive as Lennar's. Their plots are larger - 70ft wide, giving you a little more room between neighbors.

I spoke to homeowners from Beazer, Lennar and D R Horton and all were pleased with their purchases and said they would do so again. For the few who had minor warranty issues, they said builders were responsive in resolving them.

Residents said there are no issues with air traffic overhead - an occasional helicopter or air-force plane mid-day.

Would love to hear others observations - both those touring and those living in these communities.
When we visited The Reserve,we were told there will be a community pool.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:32 PM

62 posts, read 116,863 times
I toured Cresswinds a few days ago and visited all of their models. You have to remember that the models are highly upgraded and their base prices are nowhere near what you will see with the models. The first one we toured had $100,000 worth of upgrades. Just keep that in mind when you are looking at Cresswinds. Most models have some upgrades which of course raise the base prices, but Cresswinds seems to have gone overboard. I think it will be very deceiving and disappointing to a lot of people who look at their base price and then realize what the actual price is for what they want. I toured the Cottages at The Surf in North Myrtle Beach and I liked those, and there what you see is what you get. They don't charge more for the granite, better flooring or the stainless appliances, it is priced with those included.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreammaker View Post
I toured Cresswinds a few days ago and visited all of their models. You have to remember that the models are highly upgraded and their base prices are nowhere near what you will see with the models. The first one we toured had $100,000 worth of upgrades. Just keep that in mind when you are looking at Cresswinds. Most models have some upgrades which of course raise the base prices, but Cresswinds seems to have gone overboard. I think it will be very deceiving and disappointing to a lot of people who look at their base price and then realize what the actual price is for what they want. I toured the Cottages at The Surf in North Myrtle Beach and I liked those, and there what you see is what you get. They don't charge more for the granite, better flooring or the stainless appliances, it is priced with those included.
That's true for all builders. They ALWAYS upgrade the models for showing. The Savannah model we absolutely love in The Reserve by Beazer has a base in the vicinity of $235,000,but the model as it sits without the outside grill and fireplace is $315,000. Personally,we like the south end of Myrtle a lot better than the North end and we love Market Common. It has the amenities and lifestyle we want.......especially for retirement.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:53 AM

62 posts, read 116,863 times
Yes, I know that the models are almost always upgraded, but I was just saying that at Cresswinds it was REALLY upgraded more than the average model home usually is, therefore of course jacking the price up way, way above their base price, giving most potential home buyers sticker shock.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreammaker View Post
Yes, I know that the models are almost always upgraded, but I was just saying that at Cresswinds it was REALLY upgraded more than the average model home usually is, therefore of course jacking the price up way, way above their base price, giving most potential home buyers sticker shock.
The HOA was a sticker shock as well. We didn't like the layout either of most of the plans. They were too choppy and the kitchen was too small. The way they had the island situated was way too tight. We like the Savannah at Beazer a whole lot better.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:06 PM

Has anyone else heard anything about the low income affordable housing coming to Market Common? Not a good sign! It is causing us to rethink moving there.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:39 AM

22 posts, read 45,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
Has anyone else heard anything about the low income affordable housing coming to Market Common? Not a good sign! It is causing us to rethink moving there.
We missed the private preview due to illness in Cresswind. Hoa fees sticker shock? Can you elaborate? Why do they put that many upgrades from a base of 235k? If I wanted to spend 315k I would consider other properties. What is the bottom line? Which market common new development is going to give the most bang for the buck? I wish the builders would at least include the upgrades that have now become the new standard, Granite, stainless, etc.. Anybody?

Old 05-14-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlooking View Post
We missed the private preview due to illness in Cresswind. Hoa fees sticker shock? Can you elaborate? Why do they put that many upgrades from a base of 235k? If I wanted to spend 315k I would consider other properties. What is the bottom line? Which market common new development is going to give the most bang for the buck? I wish the builders would at least include the upgrades that have now become the new standard, Granite, stainless, etc.. Anybody?
You didn't miss much,so don't feel bad. I don't remember the exact figure,but the HOA fees were over $200.00 a month.They will give you all the details if you go visit them and look at the models. As for the upgrade question,you will have to ask Beazer that. The bottom line is..... if they put low income affordable housing in there,no development is going to be worth it and there will be more crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area