Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2018, 08:28 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,476,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
The sun beating on your skin makes your skin hotter than your internal temperature so the only way to cool that way is by sweating but you'll be getting sunburned at the same time.

By having a shirt, you basically have a protective sweat layer around your skin between your skin and the clothing. A breeze keeps going through the sweat layer and in hot dry climates is evaporated instantly. You basically have an air conditioned layer in between your clothes and skin using evaporative cooling.

Like I said, many on here do not understand even a basic fundamental of how to keep cool.
Again, if you use sunblock you will be fine. Now I am tempted to browse my Instagram gallery to see what kinds of shirts I typically wear in the summer lol. I wear about the same kinda clothes in 90 degrees as 100, I just spend more time in the AC in the latter. Also I don't mind the heat so much if I can sit on a porch under the shade and drink a sweat tea or lemonade. It's actually doing stuff outside that's just awful, unless that stuff involves water. I had a pool last summer (my last summer in TX) so I actually enjoyed last summer but the one before I had nowhere to swim. I didn't even go to a water park that year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 10:01 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,551,628 times
thought it'd warm faster; central Mass & New Hampshire stuck with freezing rain. Yuck

https://twitter.com/NWSBoston/status/955825769024053248

Old 01-23-2018, 11:36 AM

83,551 posts, read 75,444,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
thought it'd warm faster; central Mass & New Hampshire stuck with freezing rain. Yuck

https://twitter.com/NWSBoston/status...053248/photo/1
In the 50s here. Didn't realize it was stuck in the 30s there.

Ice accumulations in Southern Maine.
Marine Warning off Long Island.
60s in southern NJ
70s in Richmond!

Final push of southerly air right before the front, no surprise.

1:30pm Map

Edit: Nevermind. I see it. Surface warm front south of CT/MA border while the cold front is pushing East. Interesting

Old 01-23-2018, 12:06 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,905,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I would wear shorts, tennis shoes, a light t shirt maybe even sleeveless or cutoff and a baseball hat. If I am at home I may be sans shirt, obviously if I am swimming which is the only thing weather that hot is good for. I don't wear button up shirts unless it's like plaid shirts in fall. Just don't like the style.

Aside from protection from direct sunlight (which sunblock can mitigate) why would covering up keep me cooler? I swear a lot in the heat, shoot when shovelling snow last night I had to take off the hood and when I came back inside I took off all my sweaters.

I slept in the nude last night. I have already acclimated to the cold lol.

Btw southerners go shirtless in the summer too. As long as it's not a public place (aside from beach/pool areas) who cares? I hate shirts sticking to me. I guess I could wear breezier shirts but I am too skinny, they'd look too baggy on me lol.
I go shirtless at the beach or pool but if I'm working in the yard all day, I always have a shirt on, especially if it's 100+ degrees. Quick dry shirts are quite useful.

Just like some Southerners don't know how to dress in layers in the cold, most Northerners don't have a clue about how to dress for the heat. Unless you have been stationed in the Middle East you'd probably not know. You don't have to believe me but when I'm in my linen pants I'm cooler than when I'm in shorts...

I sleep in the nude every single night of the year, even if it's 15 degrees outside. Of course, I'm in a climatised environment so that's not bragging. But I usually sleep in the nude even on camping trips when it's cold outside. Of course I have a sleeping bag rated for 0 degrees and I rarely camp if the night time temp is below 40.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:53 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
In the 50s here. Didn't realize it was stuck in the 30s there.

Edit: Nevermind. I see it. Surface warm front south of CT/MA border while the cold front is pushing East. Interesting

looks upstate NY managed to get warm air before the front came in. Hard to dislodge the cold air already here. We got an inch of rain today, so enough to melt the snowpack, hope there's none left.

via

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/map/

Old 01-23-2018, 05:28 PM

749 posts, read 419,570 times
Currently here in Aurora, ME..44F Degrees, Dew Point 44F Degrees, Winds NNE 14mph, Low Tonight 32F Degrees
Awoke to at least 4" of the fluff & stuff...Rained, blew and melted much...traversed through puddles and area flooding during our commute home...
Windshield wippers off the windshield, Oyster- Shell (spread on walkway and carried in the car for traction)! Will have to whip- off at least one fleece blanket tonight...Hopeful forward to freeze until Mid-February (appears rather doubtful)! Already tiring of the deluge during the day and freeze overnight which lends to a fretful commute in the early am...

Old 01-23-2018, 06:50 PM

83,551 posts, read 75,444,508 times
Thats all I'm seeing.

https://twitter.com/EricWFMJ/status/955979383289925632

Old 01-23-2018, 07:42 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,563,381 times
-28C right now IMBY.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
-28C right now IMBY.
Jeez. you must be sick of Iqaluit.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Thats all I'm seeing.
NWS Boston noticeably there's a potential for cold air to dive in; in the next 1-2 weeks staying on the milder side

https://twitter.com/NWSBoston/status/955987381848625152

some very dense fog this night, starting to clear. We get more trapped in the valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather