Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Northern Hemisphere or Southern Hemisphere Seasons
Northern Hemisphere 24 66.67%
Southern Hemisphere 12 33.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2016, 06:24 PM

2,926 posts, read 1,307,494 times

Advertisements

One of the things i have noticed on this board is that a large number of people from the Northern hemisphere especially in North America will compare NA cities to OZ cities for example and will talk how cool Australia Summers are compared to many American cities based on temperatures. I feel alot people mostly go on temperatures to compare a climate without looking at humidity, UV index and sunshine hours which are just as important if not more so in the overall feel of a climate. Based on the difference in the Sun being much hotter in the Southern hemisphere and the fact that because of this there is generally less of a feeling of seasonal variety that you get in the places like Boston or New York where would you rather be most of the year.

For me personally while i love being comfortable in shorts for most of the year with the sun mostly keeping me warm no matter the season i do miss winter being in Christmas. I envy the snow that some Northern hemisphere places get in Christmas and to see sunshine or be at a beach just feels so bland compared to the cold outside and cosy inside Christmas you get mostly in northern hemisphere countries. The strength of the sun has two sides. Comfortable winter afternoons if it's sunny, spring can have plenty of warm or even hot days and summer is generally hot or very hot in the sun but at times it's just too harsh especially in New Zealand and to be in a summer in somewhere like France, Spain or Italy might be more preferable at times and with such less risk. The downside is those places even in a clear blue winter day will still feel cold. I'm curious as to what people would Prefer. I feel if i lived in the Northern hemisphere due to the weaker sun i'd move closer to the equator but in the Southern hemisphere i wouldn't wanna go much further than NZ or southern Australia. As someone who works outside my reasons for my climate preference is for mostly warm, comfortable and sunny but not too much heat
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 06:44 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times
What on earth are you saying? That is just 1 big block of words. Weird that the sun in new Zealand is so strong.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
What on earth are you saying? That is just 1 big block of words. Weird that the sun in new Zealand is so strong.
lol don't worry about it mate. Not just New Zealand but Australia and the Southern hemisphere in general. It's just more harsh here due to lack of ozone but take today for example in Sydney where the UV index is going to reach 8.5, a reading that places with a similar latitude in the Northern hemisphere might only see in mid summer and even at that would be very high. I feel Northern hemisphere cities on the same latitudes as the likes of Melbourne, Sydney, Auckland etc might have more seasonal variety and one of the biggest reasons is the Sun isn't as intense year round. The question i'm asking is do people prefer the quite diverse seasons of Northern hemisphere cities compared to southern hemisphere cities at the same latitude which has less seasonal diversity

Last edited by Paddy234; 10-20-2016 at 07:01 PM..

Old 10-20-2016, 07:07 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
lol don't worry about it mate. Not just New Zealand but Australia and the Southern hemisphere in general. It's just more harsh here due to lack of ozone but take today for example in Sydney where the UV index is going to reach 8.5, a reading that places with a similar latitude in the Northern hemisphere might only see in mid summer and even at that would be very high. I feel Northern hemisphere cities on the same latitudes as the likes of Melbourne, Sydney, Auckland etc might have more seasonal variety and one of the biggest reasons is the Sun isn't as intense year round. The question i'm asking is do people prefer the quite diverse seasons of Northern hemisphere cities compared to southern hemisphere cities at the same latitude which has less seasonal diversity
No, a typical uv reading here in summer is 10-11 and I'm a couple degrees north of sydney.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:09 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,003,466 times
Southern hemisphere below 40S are an eternal spring/autumn.

But even with such low seasonality we have a great temperate deciduous forest in Patagonia.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
No, a typical uv reading here in summer is 10-11 and I'm a couple degrees north of sydney.
The UV reading in OZ is still much higher than a typical summer day at the same latitude of a Northern hemisphere city and as i said a mid spring day sun strength will easily match a Spanish mid summer sun. In New Zealand it's worse again however. The diversity in seasons just isn't as common in the southern hemisphere compared to the North at same latitudes from my experience

Last edited by Paddy234; 10-20-2016 at 07:35 PM..

Old 10-20-2016, 07:39 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
The only northern hemisphere (almost )summer sun I've experienced was in California, and that was underwhelming, although the warm temperatures without harsh sun made it awesome.

New Zealanders who have lived in hot summer climates typically say the sun doesn't feel worse there, even when it's much hotter.

It does vary here though -some days don't feel that bad, but southerly air flow around high pressure days, usually seem worse.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:49 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Definitely Southern Hemisphere without a doubt due to stronger sunshine and overall less seasonal variation. I have visited Australia before so I know what you are talking about. I remember the sun being so strong there at times that it gave me a headache... A few more precautions are needed there in the sun compared to here but it's still totally enjoyable IMO.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:19 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Southern hemisphere for the lower yearly temp range or less continentality.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:42 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,173,082 times
Southern Hemisphere has more subtropical climates that are right up my alley but they also have some nightmare ultra oceanic climates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather