Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Northern Hemisphere or Southern Hemisphere Seasons
Northern Hemisphere 24 66.67%
Southern Hemisphere 12 33.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 02:50 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times

Advertisements

southern hemisphere probably feels less seasonal because the winters are really mild compared to here....

About the sun, I could not tell, I have never been there, neither to places south of the mediterranean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 03:09 AM

765 posts, read 573,646 times
I reckon Sydney feels plenty seasonal, even if the difference is only 10C between summer and winter. It's not like you'd get confused in the middle of July and wonder what season it is.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:43 AM

171 posts, read 133,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
What on earth are you saying? That is just 1 big block of words. Weird that the sun in new Zealand is so strong.
The sun may be strong in NZ, but it does not compare to here. The NZ sun has nothing on Australia, despite his claim that the ozone hole is bullseye'd over NZ therefore feels hotter in the sun than Australia NZ has a very average, cool climate, and his hometown of Christchurch is cold. His December is cooler than my September on average, and the solar radiation at 43S will never match 34S in Australia.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:47 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab276 View Post
I reckon Sydney feels plenty seasonal, even if the difference is only 10C between summer and winter. It's not like you'd get confused in the middle of July and wonder what season it is.
sure, but it's more like a long warm season followed by a shorter cool season. You can swim in the ocean in the first case, it's a bit more difficult in the second case I guess.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:36 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkBeerDrinker View Post
The sun may be strong in NZ, but it does not compare to here. The NZ sun has nothing on Australia, despite his claim that the ozone hole is bullseye'd over NZ therefore feels hotter in the sun than Australia NZ has a very average, cool climate, and his hometown of Christchurch is cold. His December is cooler than my September on average, and the solar radiation at 43S will never match 34S in Australia.
I don't remember the sun in Victoria and South Australia feeling particularly bad, and I experienced some hot weather there. Sydney and Brisbane had that more familiar burning feeling I'm used to, and that was at cooler temperatures than I saw further south.

I'm going to be in Shepparton for a month in January, so I will see if it matches my recollections.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:37 PM

2,926 posts, read 1,307,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkBeerDrinker View Post
Sorry mate but now your talking nonsense. Australia is a hotter country for different reasons but the sun isn't one of the them. I live here because yes it is cooler and the Sun makes it comfortable for most of the year rarely being too hot which i know area's like Perth can get in summer so working outside there in that heat would just be hell to me. Please don't change the subject of this thread

Last edited by Paddy234; 10-21-2016 at 03:47 PM..

Old 10-21-2016, 03:47 PM

13,479 posts, read 9,020,662 times
To be fair you are Irish, so I expect you burn at a UV of 1...

Old 10-21-2016, 04:10 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I don't remember the sun in Victoria and South Australia feeling particularly bad, and I experienced some hot weather there. Sydney and Brisbane had that more familiar burning feeling I'm used to, and that was at cooler temperatures than I saw further south.

I'm going to be in Shepparton for a month in January, so I will see if it matches my recollections.
NIWA numbers state that the far north of NZ can reach a UV index of 13, but no midsummer average is quoted. Australian tables give an average of 13 for Brisbane in January, and 11 for Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:01 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
NIWA numbers state that the far north of NZ can reach a UV index of 13, but no midsummer average is quoted. Australian tables give an average of 13 for Brisbane in January, and 11 for Melbourne, Sydney and Adelaide.
It doesn't appear that UV has much of an impact of thermal sensation according to several posters on here, and sun angle is easy to determine, so I'm wondering if their is some other factor at play?

I remember from my time in Vic/SA, that in summer time, it was often hard to see low hill ranges only a few km away due to haze,. Whereas the skies here in summer can be stunningly clear after a cold change. Perhaps that lack of atmospheric pollutants allows less filtering and a stronger sensation?

I have known Australians to comment on the sun here, although it's typically surprise that it is as strong as it is, rather than saying it's stronger than they're used to.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:53 PM

2,926 posts, read 1,307,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
To be fair you are Irish, so I expect you burn at a UV of 1...
UV 2 Actually lol. I am a roofer aswell though so alot of my easily burned pale skin is gone now anyway lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather