Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2018, 09:01 PM

26,435 posts, read 46,671,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I never understood why some people like really long dark nights in the winter. The cold is one thing, but then you have to combine it with wind and no sun.
US doesn't have many places that have very short daylight hours and sunlight hours in winter compared to Europe, Canada, or Russia. Alaska fits the bill, and locations along and north of 45 degrees latitude have more distinct evenly distributed seasons. I prefer the darkness over excessive solar radiation, but most Americans have Vitamin D deficiencies. I take plenty of supplements. With respect to winter, much of the US gets the worst of both extreme temperature swings and lack of consistent snow cover. If one prefers milder winters, I'll take the Pacific Northwest. Plenty of people from the upper Midwest have moved there over time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 09:02 PM

26,435 posts, read 46,671,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Only people on this forum do. I have never met people who really like these kinds of conditions. Most people like normal weather that doesn't affect their lives.
Well, you couldn't pay me to move to states like Arizona, Texas, or Florida. Those low latitude places would be my worst nightmare.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:24 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,362,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Which side of the Upper Low would you want to be on tonight? Southeast side or Northwest side?

Nasty evening in Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Missouri with Squall lines & Tornado warnings.
Meanwhile heavy snow rates on the northwest side.
Tornado watch just issued for NW Louisiana. The severe threat is marginal where I'm at.

Interesting that storms turning possibly tornadic with little to no lightning.

Quote:
DISCUSSION...A southwest-northeast oriented zone of thunderstorms
has become more productive over the past few hours, as wind fields
continue to increase. Only modest levels of instability exists, but
low-level flow is strong. A few storms have shown signs of
possible/brief tornadoes with little or no lightning, suggesting
minimal instability is needed.

Sporadic severe storms currently exist from northeast TX across
western AR. Additional storms may develop southward into
east-central TX and northwest LA, with shear favoring supercells and
perhaps a tornado or two.

As the cold front reaches the existing batch of storms, they will
likely merge into a line and accelerate eastward. Models suggest
that some threat will likely persist across central AR, and perhaps
far southern MO as warm advection creates minimal instability there.
Overall, the threat is expected to weaken as it approaches the MS
river late tonight.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:19 AM

83,571 posts, read 75,516,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ral31 View Post
Tornado watch just issued for NW Louisiana. The severe threat is marginal where I'm at.

Interesting that storms turning possibly tornadic with little to no lightning.
Looks like some intense activity down there this morning. Tornado warning just NW of you couple hours ago..

Triangles are indications of hail

Look at the spin of this storm. Pushing the front along. Snow wrapping around in Iowa, Nebraska and now Kansas.

1:15-5:15amCST loop

Check out the lightning

Old 01-22-2018, 06:29 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,278,900 times
That line is almost to Indianapolis. I always miss thunderstorms by the middle of winter. Going 5 months or more without one seems so unnatural! So I'm hoping for at least a bit of lightning here!

EDIT: Alas, no lightning and thunder here. Just some decent downpours.

Last edited by ischyros; 01-22-2018 at 07:46 AM..

Old 01-22-2018, 06:58 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,579,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Looks like some intense activity down there this morning. Tornado warning just NW of you couple hours ago..

Triangles are indications of hail

Look at the spin of this storm. Pushing the front along. Snow wrapping around in Iowa, Nebraska and now Kansas.

that's a long front; ends just as it hits Lake Michigan

Old 01-22-2018, 07:22 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,913,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Well, you couldn't pay me to move to states like Arizona, Texas, or Florida. Those low latitude places would be my worst nightmare.
You couldn't pay me to move to states like Minnesota, Michigan, or Maine. Those high latitude places would be my worst nightmare.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:30 AM

7,220 posts, read 3,103,576 times
Minimum temperature today here was 0c and maximum was 3c.

In some cities in Serbia there is a few cm of snow but here there is no snow, height of snow in Kopaonik which is at altitude 1700 m is 99 cm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopaonik#Climate

If this winter is colder it would be a lot of snow in Serbia and in region, for exemple height of snow in Bjelašnica in Bosnia and Herzegovina is 154 cm, in Zavižan in Croatia 110 cm, and in Žabljak in montenegro 73 cm. Bjelašnica, Zavižan and Žabljak are at high altitude.
This winter in Serbia and in Balkans is mild and wet with lots of rain.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:07 AM

7,741 posts, read 6,485,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I could agree with that. I never understand why so many Americans like a brutal sun angle. The heat is one thing, but then you have to combine it with humidity and sun.
And I am the same with cold and wind. I love cold winters but don't care for super windy days, unless it's snowing. 0 is cold enough and I don't mind zero, but add some 20 mph winds and it becomes brutal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather