Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2018, 07:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,765,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Was a nice winter day today. Morning low around -8C, daytime max of 0C, a bit of snow on the ground, very clear and crisp. Not -40C as I would want, but a satisfying day nonetheless.
rather cold for NYC; was 8°F (-13°C) here. Clearing skies earl in the night + fresh snow = lots of radiational cooling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 08:19 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Why am I not here?!!!!

https://twitter.com/mwobs/status/954082073895145472

the temperature profile then was really odd:

coldest in between the summit and mountain bottom. 5300 feet temperatures are obscured in my screenshot but they were quite cold, similar to below. Warmed up by the summit corresponded to being above the clouds.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:31 AM

83,696 posts, read 76,083,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Lake Michigan is around 25% ice covered right now with all obviously concentrated along the coasts, especially between Milwaukee and Chicago and at the far north end. But the middle of the lake still has water temperatures in the upper 30s around 40F. They still had a lake effect snow band affecting northwest Indiana this past Monday. Usually its at its worst when winds come down from the north and create a long, powerful single band of snow down the length of the lake. It isn't near iced over enough to stop that.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
Even ice doesn't do a whole lot to stop the lake machine sometimes. For example, lake erie is nearly covered but Buffalo has had about 8" of new snow the past 36 hours.
Ice does shut it off but maybe it was because it's not thick enough or because not all of the lake is iced over and that little opening helped create a band?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Springlike weather today. Everything is mucky. On the plus side, I was finally about to make a big snowman.

Another heavy rainstorm coming here Tuesday. More Mud. At least the ground isn't drying up for Spring crops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Central Florida got quite some cold as well, most intense since 2010-2011. Orlando, for instance, hit 27F.

Yup.. Normal low is 49.. They dropped to 27° and only had a max of 53°.

Orlando temps this month,

Palm Coast as well. 27° low yesterday and only reaching 45° max. This morning looks like a low of 28° so far.

Use this site to see all other stations for today..

"Air" column = current temps.

Tallahassee low of 22°F with a dew point of 20°

Last edited by Cambium; 01-19-2018 at 04:39 AM..

Old 01-19-2018, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
Even ice doesn't do a whole lot to stop the lake machine sometimes. For example, lake erie is nearly covered but Buffalo has had about 8" of new snow the past 36 hours.
Check it out.. We have our answer..

NWS Buffalo

Quote:
Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Buffalo NY
1256 PM EST Wed Jan 17 2018

Off Lake Erie...

The extensive ice cover is doing little to slow the lake effect
process, with visible satellite imagery showing multiple streamers
of lake effect clouds coming right off the icepack in the central
basin of the lake. The ice appears fairly thin in this area. There
can still be sensible heat flux through thin ice, but not latent
heat flux or moisture flux. There is a small patch of open water
between Chautauqua County and Long Point over the deepest part of
the lake, which is adding some moisture.

The setup remains the same through mid to late afternoon with lake
induced equilibrium levels around 6K feet and a favorable layer of
dendritic crystal growth beneath the inversion. By early this
evening the inversion lowers further to below 5K feet, and most of
the dendritic crystal growth zone is removed. This should allow the
lake effect snow to end, at least temporarily. Until then, expect
additional accumulations of 2-3 inches this afternoon across
northern Erie County, with 1-2 inches in adjacent areas. The high
shear environment is forcing a wider area of snow than normal. This
will bring totals to around 6 inches since before daybreak. The snow
is very fluffy with little water content, adding to the snow amounts.

By Thursday morning, forecast BUFKIT soundings show the inversion
growing a little higher again to about 5K feet. More importantly,
the layer beneath this moistens again with a favorable dendritic
growth zone developing again. This may allow some lake effect snow
to re-develop, focused on the Buffalo Metro Area. Mesoscale models
are for the most part showing little or nothing, but then again,
that was the case today as well. The model guidance is likely not
handling the impacts of thin ice cover appropriately. Given the
return of marginal conditions, increased POPS to likely with 1-2
inches of accumulation for Thursday near Buffalo.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:17 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Check it out.. We have our answer..

NWS Buffalo
Thanks for finding the explanation. The last time Lake Michigan was close to icing over completely was 2014, I think. Even then, it was still about 85% iced over. I can't remember what kind of effect that might have had on the lake effect. I used to live up that way in the South Bend area but since I moved south 10 years ago, I don't pay as much attention to the lake effect machine.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Thanks for finding the explanation. The last time Lake Michigan was close to icing over completely was 2014, I think. Even then, it was still about 85% iced over. I can't remember what kind of effect that might have had on the lake effect. I used to live up that way in the South Bend area but since I moved south 10 years ago, I don't pay as much attention to the lake effect machine.
I'd have to check some maps in 2014 but maybe there wasn't the right setup for any LES that year? Winds, Temps, Instability, ect.

I wonder how this warmup will effect the Lake Ice..

Here's this mornings upper height and 5000' temps..

I could of bumped up the Jet stream more in central area but the overall look is here. Cool trough leaving Northeast. Ridge was pumped so far north days ago (see pic below), now flattening and moving East so here comes the warmup. All while the PacNW is inside the cold trough now but without deep arctic air there.

The Arctic air is bottled up over northern Quebec and will have to rotate all the way around to find the U.S again. Maybe in a week? Maybe February?

This is how it looked 4 days ago..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Interesting discussion from NWS Minneapolis and a map to show it. Reason why the Arctic Air is leaving is...........

Spoiler

Old 01-19-2018, 06:46 AM

Dont think we see this kind of coverage often by mid January. I could be wrong.

Take note of D.C area. Talk about getting screwed. Atlanta has more than D.C.

I'm almost in the Orange with 20"

https://twitter.com/NWSWPC/status/954043587020378113

Old 01-19-2018, 07:34 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,304,341 times
Amazing. So many places in the southeast have gotten more snow in a single day this year than we have in Indianapolis!

Old 01-19-2018, 07:46 AM

another morning undercast from the summit of Mt. Washington

https://twitter.com/MWObs/status/954343525428101120

Temperatures look flat with altitude. Summit is reading 100% humidity in the diagram, right around 8 am the fog llifted and there was undercast but before and after it went back to being in the clouds

Hurricane-force winds forecast tonight and tomorrow on the summit. Supposed to warm up tomorrow, shouldn't a ridge bring placid weather? Checking the 850 hPa map, there's a low over central Quebec, the pressure difference between the low and ridge to the south is creating 60-70 mph winds over the Northeast, where the pressure gradient is highest. And then the shape of the mountain amplifies the winds, gusts should break 100 mph

via https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/anal...18011906&fh=18

https://www.mountwashington.org/expe...onditions.aspx

huh, its cooling a bit around 4000 feet from an hour or two ago while the summit and valley bottoms warmed again

Old 01-19-2018, 07:47 AM

current snow depth

https://www.weather.gov/nerfc/snow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather