Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 06:13 PM

306 posts, read 607,797 times

Advertisements

Rumor has it that Reid may try to put up an earlier iteration of H.R. 4213 which would include provisions beyond unemployment extensions again - provisions that Snowe and Collins do not support. According to an article in International Business Times quoting Michael Tanner of the Cato Institute, "... both the senators are balking now and Reid may not be able to count on their votes. If the vote were strictly for the extension of unemployment insurance, he would probably still firmly have the senators from Maine, and probably a few other Republicans and Sen. Nelson," Tanner said. "But the UI extension is tied to a bigger bill granting other extensions and Collins and Snowe are expressing doubts about backing the larger measure."

Old 07-13-2010, 06:29 PM

776 posts, read 1,690,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutz1012 View Post
Rumor has it that Reid may try to put up an earlier iteration of H.R. 4213 which would include provisions beyond unemployment extensions again - provisions that Snowe and Collins do not support. According to an article in International Business Times quoting Michael Tanner of the Cato Institute, "... both the senators are balking now and Reid may not be able to count on their votes. If the vote were strictly for the extension of unemployment insurance, he would probably still firmly have the senators from Maine, and probably a few other Republicans and Sen. Nelson," Tanner said. "But the UI extension is tied to a bigger bill granting other extensions and Collins and Snowe are expressing doubts about backing the larger measure."
Yeah...Reid might as well pull that card and drag this thing out for another month or two...we'll keep waiting. It's not like any of us are at risk of losing or houses or anything. Don't worry Harry...you play your little politics game and treat us like game pieces...we'll manage.

Last edited by OpAck; 07-13-2010 at 07:01 PM..

Old 07-13-2010, 08:28 PM

125 posts, read 280,936 times
I KNEW Reid would try to attach other issues to the bill and then blame Republicans for it's failure. Obama needs to stop blaming Republicans and place the pressure squarely on Reid to allow the extension to go to vote unfettered by other partisan items.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:46 PM

11,430 posts, read 19,152,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
Yeah...Reid might as well pull that card and drag this thing out for another month or two...we'll keep waiting. It's not like any of us are at risk of losing or houses or anything. Don't worry Harry...you play your little politics game and treat us like game pieces...we'll manage.
Is Reid retarded? Seriously! If he does that then even I think he is worse than the Republican obstructionism. Maybe he'll just try it once and when it obviously fails do the standalone....though I imagine that's still dragging it out a day or two more than necessary.

Obama's got to be a real president and speak up! I can't imagine he'd agree to this......

But I'll also say getting this info from the Cato Institute is even more biased than getting it from Faux News and especially when it says that as a standalone Nelson and some more Repubs would say yes.....if that were so would this even be an article right now? No, it would've been voted in already!

Quote:
Unemployment insurance extension, financial reform hang on decisions in West Virginia - International Business Times

Tanner noted that Manchin also has a problem regarding the interim senator he will soon be choosing, to fill the seat until after the November election.
"Everything that senator does will reflect on Manchin," Tanner said.
Given that West Virginians disapprove of what the Democratic leadership is doing in Washington, and that they usually like their Democrats to be the more conservative type, the short-term replacement for Byrd would hurt Manchin's own candidacy if he or she behaves too much like other Democrats, Tanner explained.
"He will want to appoint someone who doesn't draw much attention, the blandest person he can find," Tanner said.

Once Manchin chooses the interim senator, which he could do as early as Thursday, the appointee must be inducted into the Senate.
"That could theoretically be done in a matter of minutes," Tanner said. "A swearing in ceremony at the Senate and the new Senator can take his seat."
But would the Democrats then have the votes needed to pass the unemployment insurance extension and the financial reform package?
Not necessarily.
Reid had two Republican senators onboard for the UI extension vote on June 30 - Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe, both of Maine. But Tanner said both the senators are balking now and Reid may not be able to count on their votes.
See my first comment above.....this is coming from the Cato Institute.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:02 PM

776 posts, read 1,690,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Is Reid retarded? Seriously! If he does that then even I think he is worse than the Republican obstructionism. Maybe he'll just try it once and when it obviously fails do the standalone....though I imagine that's still dragging it out a day or two more than necessary.

Obama's got to be a real president and speak up! I can't imagine he'd agree to this......
To be honest, I see the motivation to try again. If a few R's and/or Nelson can be twisted to vote for it...he's happy...he'll get the bill he wanted through. And if he doesn't reach 60 votes (as should be expected), he can go back to his "Republicans hate the unemployed...I'm done forwarding unemployment extension bills for now!" talking point for a few days until he's "convinced" to push a standalone bill through. It's kind of a win-win situation for him. For us? Not so much.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:22 PM

870 posts, read 1,407,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Exactly! What they need to do is bang their heads together and figure out the right combination......yes there is a problem with overspending, but if you don't spend at all, you still make the deficit worse because of the loss of tax revenue and the increase in things like welfare food stamps and medicare payments, etc.

I do think some of the stimulus was a pork-laden disappointment, but at the same time I think Jon Kyl's idea that it's all about absolute spending cuts (and sickly, tax cuts at the same time, makes no sense) and nothing else is way off base too!
I think the problem was underspending.

I think that this administration underestimated in their first attempt at stimulating the economy and therefore the insufficient funding had to be stretched out across numerous projects and consequently reduced it's effects. Of course this is a first for this administration, for any administration since the Great Depression. They are being careful where and how to spend the remainder of the stimulus because of trying to get the most bang for the buck but the enormity of the tasks at hand causes them to have to stutter step in the process. The funding is not yet large enough for what they have to do is my view on this. I think it was necessary to have had the stimulus larger than what it was and due to this miscalculation we are now heading towards a second stimulus package.

Last edited by South Jersey Man; 07-13-2010 at 11:02 PM..

Old 07-13-2010, 11:10 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,058,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Man View Post
a second stimulus package.
I wish! but though some economists heartily agree with you, deficit is the flavor of the month. I just don't know how they would get it through. If they looked back at Japan whom most agree stopped spending too soon and languished for 10 years, they might actually consider some kind of further stimulus.

On the UE front -- they still need to stimulate jobs. Yes, a hard nut to crack. Without being draconian and saying all co's that outsource need to pay horrendous fines &/or putting huge import taxes of foreign made goods or cutting off work visas- they have little hope of bringing jobs back. As for new ones, the only ones that HAVE to be done here are construction, infrastructure repair, actual face to face jobs, boots on the ground jobs that need actual people to be here to do them, not just phone in from overseas. I am not clever enough to figure out how to inspire companies to do that - and apparently I'm not alone.

I spent some time trying to think of another way to report unemployment that was noticeable for the complacent. I took the U5[unemployed + discouraged] 17,692,000 & did math for job openings in April[3.1 million]. There were jobs for 17.5 % of them. That left 14,595,900 workers unsupportable by the job market in April. This is a staggering number. If they were a country they would rank 67th in population of 223 listed countries List of countries by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia- more than the total population of Ecuador, or Greece, or Jamaica, Cuba, Israel! Good grief!

They should just report - this month we have unemployed with no jobs for them the size of the total population of Cuba - might work for a month or 2 till they get used to it again,

Old 07-13-2010, 11:17 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,897,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Man View Post
we are now heading towards a second stimulus package.
or more likely a double dip recession

Old 07-13-2010, 11:21 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,897,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
On the UE front -- they still need to stimulate jobs. Yes, a hard nut to crack. Without being draconian and saying all co's that outsource need to pay horrendous fines &/or putting huge import taxes of foreign made goods or cutting off work visas- they have little hope of bringing jobs back.

I really think they SHOULD immediately cut off ALL work visas such as the H1B except in those VERY rare cases where there really IS no viable American worker that could be hired for that position as the skills/experience are so unique.

Work visas have been a rort of the system for YEARS now, enough already. I refuse to believe there are not Americans (or legal residents) that could fill 98% of those positions.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:49 PM

377 posts, read 591,096 times
Quote:
That's great. Rumors are rumors though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment