Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 01:38 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Just wanted to say that my aunt passed on Fri. night. If you could say a quick prayer for the family. This lifetime seems an eternity when a loved on has gone on.
my condolences to you and the family and I offer prayers to console those closest to her and yes this lifetime will seem an eternity with her absence but you will honor her with your memory of her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 03:10 PM

You know, with all the rhetoric and finger-pointing and the attacks on political individuals going on in the media who always want to look back at what others have said in the past to try and make connections to understand what has happened recently, maybe it would be a good idea if they were all to take a lesson from some very wise words from an Oglala Chief by the name of Luther Standing Bear; (Conversation was never begun at once, nor in a hurried manner. No one was quick with a question, no matter how important, and no one was pressed for an answer. A pause giving time for thought was the truly courteous way of beginning and conducting a conversation. Silence was meaningful with the native people, and granting a space of silence to the speech-maker and his own moment of silence before talking was done in the practice of true politeness and regard for the rule that, "thought comes before speech".) I do believe that many individuals in a position of influence should it times choose their words and actions carefully. I do not point a finger to any one individual but I do think that all of those involved in political positions and in positions of influence should stop and think about the words they choose to speak.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:27 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,514,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
... I do think that all of those involved in political positions and in positions of influence should stop and think about the words they choose to speak.
Excellent point, ptsum. Before speaking, it is also a good idea to stop and truly try to understand what the other person/party has said. The action-oriented American/Western European culture (and the educational systems) places great emphasis on writing and speaking, and a fair emphasis on reading. However, it places absolutely NO EMPHASIS on listening. They regard listening as a passive skill, and therefore of little importance...

-- Nighteyes

Old 01-12-2011, 06:17 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times
An excellent blessing.....Dr Gonzalez opened the memorial service with a Yaqui blessing. Very nice.

Last edited by Goodpasture; 01-12-2011 at 06:26 PM..

Old 01-12-2011, 10:51 PM

727 posts, read 540,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
The action-oriented American/Western European culture (and the educational systems) places great emphasis on writing and speaking, and a fair emphasis on reading. However, it places absolutely NO EMPHASIS on listening. They regard listening as a passive skill, and therefore of little importance...

-- Nighteyes
Many of us listen, we just do not add what others say the new and only truth since that is heard.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
An excellent blessing.....Dr Gonzalez opened the memorial service with a Yaqui blessing. Very nice.
you know, I thought it was very appropriate to begin a meeting on healing with a Native American blessing and I was very impressed with Dr. Gonzalez and the blessing.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:33 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,514,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asexualgirl View Post
Many of us listen, we just do not add what others say the new and only truth since that is heard.
Sorry, but I'm not understanding what you wrote. Can you rephrase it a bit?

-- Nighteyes

Old 01-14-2011, 12:47 PM

727 posts, read 540,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Sorry, but I'm not understanding what you wrote. Can you rephrase it a bit?

-- Nighteyes
Yes if you are not teasing because of my poor english skills. I have very poor experience of "Native American" listening and that seems to be yes definitely different thing than "ours/mine" style of listen. When we listen, thing is heard but not neccessary cause any actions. So what, who cares, everyone does how they like.

What comes to N-A listening that is kind of different (what I saw). That meant someone tells you like it is and you do like is said, no arguing, no questions, always agree. And that is "listening". I hope this helps to understand what I meant. If it was my poor english, I cannot make it any clearlier

Old 01-14-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asexualgirl View Post
Yes if you are not teasing because of my poor english skills. I have very poor experience of "Native American" listening and that seems to be yes definitely different thing than "ours/mine" style of listen. When we listen, thing is heard but not neccessary cause any actions. So what, who cares, everyone does how they like.

What comes to N-A listening that is kind of different (what I saw). That meant someone tells you like it is and you do like is said, no arguing, no questions, always agree. And that is "listening". I hope this helps to understand what I meant. If it was my poor english, I cannot make it any clearlier
Asexualgirl, if I may and no disrespect, there is a way that we talk and converse with the younger members of our families as we pass on what knowledge that we have obtained through our many years, but that in no mean keeps them from asking questions or keeping silent, it's quite the opposite, we encourage the questions because that's the only way you can learn, that is to ask questions and we as the elders try to answer those questions the best that we can and we are always open to new ideas, so you see in that respect the learning goes both ways. Now I can't speak for all native cultures but this is the way I was taught and this is the way that I teach.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:54 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
the learning goes both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality