Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 09:58 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,093,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael17 View Post
Thank you every one, I will keep trying.
You may not know it yet, but you have already won your battle. You just need to do the fine tuning.

Congratulations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 08:59 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,898,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
You may not know it yet, but you have already won your battle. You just need to do the fine tuning.

Congratulations
That is a very good point, Woodrow, and I learned the same thing with my golf game. Realizing I have a specific problem is 90% of the way to solving it.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:29 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Azrael17, you have already taken the first step towards conquering your fear, you have recognized that you have a problem and that is the first step, the next step, is what are you going to do about it?... Well I see you have taken the next step toward solving the problem and that is communicating with us. I realize, as do you, that this is not the real world but just the same take the situation and apply it to the real world, but don't expect things to happen right away, it takes time for others to get to know you as well as it takes time for you to get to know them, it's like a dance, you start out with two left feet and eventually with time you learn to become an excellent dancer, don't be in a hurry.Others here have given you good sound advice, what you do with that advice is up to you. osay

Old 01-16-2014, 10:40 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times
Quote:
The University of Oklahoma is offering a free online course this semester which explores all aspects of life for Native Peoples of Oklahoma. The course is an introduction into the history and cultural traditions, as well as contemporary contributions in film, art, and literature of the Native people of Oklahoma. Additionally, issues relating to law and government will be touched upon, and students will understand the role that indigenous people play in national politics and governance.

The course will be taught by Dan Swan, PhD (Associate Professor, Department of Anthropology and Associate Curator of Ethnology, Sam Noble Museum of Natural History) and Joshua Nelson, PhD (Assistant Professor of English and citizen of the Cherokee Nation).

Enrollment will grant you complete access to interact with all course content, including lectures, course materials, quizzes, and discussions once class is in session. The course is open and free to all, so you don't have to be an OU student to enroll. The course begins this week and will run for 16 weeks.
All Things Cherokee: Culture Articles - Free Native Peoples of Oklahoma Course Offered Online

https://janux.ou.edu/landing/course.anth1613.html

Old 01-17-2014, 09:54 AM

7,998 posts, read 12,280,448 times
Quote:
I suppose I could try to talk to people at college instead of keeping to myself.
Try to talk with people that you feel you might have something in common with, or who just seem like nice, decent people. The one bit of advice June would give you is to ask them about themselves in any given conversation. That indicates to the other person that you're interested in them, and people tend to warm up to others who express an interest in them. (May also help make the conversation easier.) If you show interest in (whatever aspect they are talking about) then they might probably be drawn to you that much more. We all like feeling that others are interested in us, so asking the other person little questions that expand on what they've said might enable striking up, and maintaining the conversation a bit easier. And if you show an interest in their thoughts, feelings, likes and dislikes, you'll be establishing a connection to that other person, who might, in all likelihood, reciprocate in kind.....Friendships can be more easily formed when one party shows an interest in certain aspects of the other. Even small things. Give it a whirl. It might just work. Oh, and humor never hurts! If you can make another smile, or even outright laugh, then you've established a stronger connection with that person.

Good luck! Shyness is hard, but there are people out there who are sensitive to that in others, so don't give up!

Old 01-17-2014, 10:29 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,948,048 times
Quote:

Thank you.
I do have some thing which has been linger on my mind.

I am adept at helping other people with there own problems yet I have a problem I can't help myself with and have tried in the vast though it seems my efforts have been in vain.
I have always been anti-social and shy and at first I did not understand the reasons as to why, yet as I grew older I slowly began to realize that even though I have a few really good friends and a family I still feel as if some thing is amiss, I am certain that feeling is caused by the lack of a social life and that I need to interact with more people, form more friendships, and some day find some one special, but I have an all consuming fear of interacting with new people that causes me to freeze up at times when I try to inter act with new people, in most cases I remain in my bubble until another person pops it and speaks to me themselves, so most of the friends I do have are profoundly outspoken Extroverts where as I am an Introvert.
I believe this fear of interacting with others is caused by worrying that I am not going to be good enough or accepted, I also believe I have issues trusting other people and it takes a long time before I trust some one enough to open up. In most cases I am like an onion with layers upon layers of bottled up emotion and thoughts that I don't share even some times with people close to me because I some times fear that if I am not good enough or perfect they will no longer like me or love me. I know it's an irrational fear because I know those people would not do that, but the fear still exists none the less. It is that type of fear that causes me to keep strangers and some times loved ones at a distance and I don't much care for it.
I have come to hate being Anti-Social and Shy, I want to form new friendships and some day find some one special but first I have to conquer myself, conquer this what ever it is yet each and every attempt I make seems to fail and so I ask of every one who reads this,
Please tell me what I should do because I don't want to be in a tight little bubble any more?

May peace and love be with you always.
Both you and me are in the same boat, I am shy myself with face-to-face confrontations breaking through the veneer of the first chance encounter lends a challenge and a mystery as to whom I am about to speak. Once I learn about the individual there is a comfort with that person.

I learned from a football coach in high school that you may not be better than anyone else but no one is better than you are. We all have our strengths and you should be able to recognize them while at the same time work on your weaknesses. Then just be yourself, you will figure your own style of confronting people.

Just come to up to the individual and say hi my name is_____, how are you doing ? I am mostly shy with women, I feel that my height and size intimidates people as I am a big man. But I will say that most of us are nervous with first chance encounters with the opposite sex

Join a church(the best way) or social group that makes you feel comfortable and puts you at ease immediately, that way you will meet friends and their friends as it will provide a social networking.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:09 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times

Buffy Sainte-Marie - "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" - YouTube

INTRO:
Indian legislation on the desk of a do-right Congressman
Now, he don't know much about the issue
so he picks up the phone and he asks advice from the
Senator out in Indian country
A darling of the energy companies who are
ripping off what's left of the reservations. Huh.

I learned a safety rule
I don't know who to thank
Don't stand between the reservation and the
corporate bank
They send in federal tanks
It isn't nice but it's reality

chorus:
Bury my heart at Wounded Knee
Deep in the Earth
Cover me with pretty lies
bury my heart at Wounded Knee. Huh.

They got these energy companies that want the land
and they've got churches by the dozen who want to
guide our hands
and sign Mother Earth over to pollution, war and
greed
Get rich... get rich quick.

chorus...

3. We got the federal marshals
We got the covert spies
We got the liars by the fire
We got the FBIs
They lie in court and get nailed
and still Peltier goes off to jail

chorus...

My girlfriend Annie Mae talked about uranium
Her head was filled with bullets and her body dumped
The FBI cut off her hands and told us she'd died of
exposure
Loo loo loo loo loo

chorus...

We had the Goldrush Wars
Aw, didn't we learn to crawl and still our history gets
written in a liar's scrawl
They tell 'ya "Honey, you can still be an Indian
d-d-down at the 'Y'
on Saturday nights"

Bury my heart at Wounded Knee
Deep in the Earth
Cover me with pretty lies
Bury my heart at Wounded Knee. Huh!

Old 01-22-2014, 06:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Thanks for posting that Goodpasture. It's hard to believe 40 years have passed since the occupation.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 01-22-2014 at 06:27 PM..

Old 01-22-2014, 07:27 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,093,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Thanks for posting that Goodpasture. It's hard to believe 40 years have passed since the occupation.
I was just thinking the same thing. The years have gone by fast. But the memories stay solid. Perhaps a good day to remember the plight of Leonard Peltier

Old 01-22-2014, 07:53 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I was just thinking the same thing. The years have gone by fast. But the memories stay solid. Perhaps a good day to remember the plight of Leonard Peltier
Long ago, I received a BA in Journalism and dedicated much of my life to writing for newspapers. The two journalists who most inspired me during my youth were the late, lamented, good Dr. Hunter S. Thompson and the late and equally-lamented Peter Worthington - whom few outside of Canada have heard of.

Worthington was six feet from Lee Harvey Oswald when he was shot. He was a lieutenant in the Korean War. He spent years in Moscow during the cold war - scolding Communists.

He was not without faults. Who is? But he was a fine, fair reporter who wrote what he saw and embellished little.

Worthington wrote often over the years about Leonard Peltier and his unfair imprisonment. It was a decades-long issue with him and he worried it regularly, like his beloved Jack Russell Terriers would worry a bone.

Here's a link to one of his pieces. There are more out there.

RIP all involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality