Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2012, 11:09 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Worthington, Minn. — The largest mass execution in U.S. history occurred 148 years ago, when 38 Dakota warriors were hanged from a single scaffold in Mankato.
Quote:
A new documentary film remembers the 38, and also a group of Dakota who ride on horseback each year at this time to Mankato to commemorate the executions of Dec. 26, 1862.
Quote:
The U.S.-Dakota War played out along several all too familiar themes of U.S. history: broken treaties and unfulfilled promises. The war started in August of 1862 and when it was over six weeks later, hundreds of Indians, settlers and soldiers were dead along the Minnesota River valley.
New documentary remembers largest mass execution in US history | Minnesota Public Radio News

"Tis the season to be jolly............."

Last edited by Goodpasture; 12-24-2012 at 11:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 11:19 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times

Brule & Airo Christmas Show 2009 - YouTube

Old 12-24-2012, 06:03 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,027,226 times
A link on the Books forum leads to this excerpt from an 1830s children's book, along with other examples of the same vintage:

Quote:
THE ORIGINAL AMERICAN.

The original American, or American Indian, is of a copper color, his hair is straight, long and black, and his eyes black and piercing.

He is much engaged in war, and lives chiefly by hunting and fishing. In former times the Indians used bows and arrows, but many of them now use guns.

They were formerly very numerous in this country, but by wars among themselves, and with the white people, and by their intemperate use of ardent spirits since their introduction among them, their numbers have been greatly diminished.

In the warm parts of America the Indians wear but little clothing, but in the cold parts they dress in furs, and live in houses called wigwams.

Some tribes of Indians in this country have become partly civilized, through the exertions of good men who have gone among them and instructed them.

The Indians will not hurt those who are friendly to them. They have been much abused by white people who have taken their lands, in many instances, by injustice and violence.

We should do them all the good we can and they will not hurt us, but will give us something to eat and drink when we travel among them, and call into their wigwams.

The Indian is good and kind,
And to favors is not blind;
Give him something for to eat
And he will you kindly treat.
More: Moralistic, Often Frightening Children's Books of the Early 1830s - Retronaut

Sounds like the people in Mankato a few decades later must not have read this book.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:26 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,898,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Sounds like the people in Mankato a few decades later must not have read this book.
They may have read the book but changed their mind after hundreds of their fellow citizens were killed by Indians.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:41 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
They may have read the book but changed their mind after hundreds of their fellow citizens were killed by Indians.

Just like every tragedy,there are two sides to every story, some good,some not so good, depending on which side you're on. Walk well today and enjoy the spirit of the holidays.osay

Old 12-26-2012, 02:14 AM

519 posts, read 78,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
War is chaos without logic. In war, there are no real winners. Humanity as a whole takes a step backwards when the insanity of war is at the forefront. Consider that the object in war is not only attaining some superfluous goal; it is also meant to weaken the "enemy". One of the best ways to weaken an opponent is to find their weaknesses and capitalize on them. This usually means the wanton destruction of countless people by whatever means is most proficient at the time. It means cutting supply lines and utilities, blocking communication, isolation, and starvation.

This was the US Cavalry's approach to war.

War is fought for honor. In war, there are no real winners. But a greater understanding can come from conflict when it is fought for honorable reasons. When all peaceful means of negotiations are exhausted, then conflict is inevitable. The Native Americans have an honorable approach to conflict. Failed resolutions can descend into conflict, but when a peace is brokered between two warring tribes or factions, the Native Americans do something the US Government is incapable of: They KEEP THEIR WORD. They are honorable, not despicable. They seek peace, not conflict. They understand the meaning of brotherhood. Their paths have been blood stained for generations, and yet they stand tall and proud, confident in their honor, and they KEEP THEIR WORD. The true measure of a man is in his thoughts and actions, it is his integrity. Without honesty and integrity, one is an open vessel for contamination. Stripped of possessions, all a man has of value is his word. Not one time did any Native American break a treaty with the US Government. ALL treaties were broken by the US Government!

This is a simplification of the Native American approach to war.

In both cases, there are no winners. But it is easy to see that the latter approach does use logic, whereas the former is obviously deception and chaos.

May the Great Spirit guide you on your path and may He allow us to begin to understand the truths that were buried and obscured for so long. May we all walk the path in the spirit of brotherhood and forgiveness. No one is greater or smaller than the one before, for we all walk the same path, and on the path, as in the sacred circle, we are all one huge family, brothers and sisters. May the Creator bestow upon us a sense of honor our daily lives. Peace be with you that your understanding will be swift. Blessed be The Creator.

Osay

Old 12-26-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlues View Post
But it is easy to see that the latter approach does use logic, whereas the former is obviously deception and chaos.
In the end, which approach was more successful? Which people achieved their goals?

Old 12-26-2012, 12:52 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,118,036 times
The people who could look themselves in the mirrow the next morining and say " My actions and reasonings were honorable and for the good of my people". Or the ones who could look themselves in the mirrow and say, " My actions and reasonings were for greed and to steal someone else's land and culture? You decide. Was it worth it?

Old 12-26-2012, 01:03 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,847 times
I see our local Manifest Destiny apologist is at it again.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
The people who could look themselves in the mirrow the next morining and say " My actions and reasonings were honorable and for the good of my people". Or the ones who could look themselves in the mirrow and say, " My actions and reasonings were for greed and to steal someone else's land and culture? You decide. Was it worth it?
Of course it was worth it.

I'm very glad my ancestors played a part in developing this wonderful country, and I have made my contribution as well, however small it was.

One of my favorites is Mary Polly Goode, who was born in Yorkshire England in 1597 and came to Jamestown when she was a teen-ager. She had a child in 1613 and another in 1615, the year she died. Thanks to her courage, many Americans, including me, are alive today.

Yes, her short and probably very difficult life was very well worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality