Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2012, 10:46 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,093,918 times

Advertisements

My deceased wife was Cherokee. I may have told this story before, I apologize. We were living not far from the Engling wild life Refuge in Texas, one of the 2 place in the USA wild ocelots can still be found. My wife had a strong fondness for Ocelots and Cardinals.

My wife went into the Hospital with a sudden illness and within a matter of hours was in a coma. 2 days after going into the coma, I went home home to get some sleep. Shortly after going to bed I was awakened by an owl hooting at the Bedroom window. a thought went through my mind "The owl called her name" shortly after I heard something at the door. I went to the door and there was an Ocelot on the porch. the Ocelot stayed on the Porch until daylight. At Day light the entire yard and all the trees were covered with Cardinals. It was like as far as I could see everything was painted red. a minute later the phone rang and before I even answered I knew it was the hospital calling to tell me my wife had passed away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 10:55 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
A profound and moving event, Woodrow. Thank you for the telling. My condolences on your wife's passing.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
A profound and moving event, Woodrow. Thank you for the telling. My condolences on your wife's passing.
Thank You for the condolences. but it was a long time past and the pain has been rplaced with fond memories.

I remarried 4 years ago and am on a new path. Ironically this wife is Cheyenne, which I was not aware of until after we were married.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:29 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Thank You for the condolences. but it was a long time past and the pain has been rplaced with fond memories.

I remarried 4 years ago and am on a new path. Ironically this wife is Cheyenne, which I was not aware of until after we were married.

Not a new path my brother, same path, people come in and out of our lives for different reasons but we traveled the same path, a path meant for us, we just have different encounters along the way....

Old 10-26-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Not a new path my brother, same path, people come in and out of our lives for different reasons but we traveled the same path, a path meant for us, we just have different encounters along the way....
Quite true. Each person I have come in contact with including you and others in this circle have had a part in being part of the path. I only hope I can always learn from each person and event I see and meet as I go down this path. When I was young this path looked very long, now when I look back I see how short it has been. My only regret are the times I did not stop to listen.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:06 AM

519 posts, read 78,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Much can be learned by sitting in silence. Personalities can be learned by sitting and listening and watching. Knowing the right time to speak takes many years of learning and listening. Knowing what to say and what not to say, takes many years of listening. Never speaking in a hurry gives you time to think about what you're going to say so as not to belittle others and yourself. These are words that were passed down to me from my ancestors. osay
When I have the good fortune to be among the trees and animals of the forest, I find rejuvenation in my silence as I listen to the sounds and emotions swirling around me. If one would take the time and patience of learning to listen, let him or her first listen to the sounds and emotions of Mother earth. Much can be learned in silence, and breaking that silence can destroy insights that would have been conveyed and understood. In silence, we meditate and commune with the natural forces around us. All that lives also teaches. In nature, truths remain truths. With patience, one can learn to listen to and understand the wisdom Mother earth teaches. The plants have their wisdom, the animals have theirs as well. At one time, man could freely communicate with the animals and plants. Now, proper respect in silence will begin to reveal ancient truths, and will begin to impart ancient wisdom. Just as important as silence is in communications with nature, it is also important in hearing and feeling the emotions of the wind, the water, the earth itself, and the action of the climatic forces. It is better for the young to learn silence in hearing nature. Once they have learned how to listen, then they will be welcome to communicate with adults.

In our interactions with people, often one will find that there are those who are quick to speak. Caution must be applied here, for one who is quick to speak must also be quick to action, and without proper thought and preparation, quick to action can have disastrous consequences.

Personally, I find it much more prudent, especially in new situations, to be silent and observe. Respectfully quiet. Let others express themselves first. If I feel a need to speak, I will yet again hold my tongue until the understanding of the situation is apparent. Then, if I still have something I feel will add a positive to the conversation, I will speak at the proper time and express myself. Words once spoken cannot be taken back. Words spoken with emotional overtones can do more damage than a knife. It is our responsibility as a people to nurture the good in our fellow man/woman. To reinforce with positive actions and words, those ideals the Creator would have us exhibit.

It is difficult to learn without listening. It is difficult to listen when you are talking.

Speech implies intelligence.

Silence implies wisdom.

May the Creator bless each within the Sacred Circle. May He allow us to learn silence can be the greatest teacher. May the Creator send blessings to those who have not found their path, whether they be within the Circle or without.

Every day, we ALL are teachers and students. Others may just observe our actions, hear our words, or they may have a direct interaction with us. But just as we learn from observing others, they are doing the same with us. So it is very important that the right messages be sent and observed. Regardless of age, ALL are teachers and students. A 90 year old can learn from a 6 year old just as much as the reverse, and it all begins with the art of silence. Respectful listening.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:56 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times
Quote:
...........Shortly after going to bed I was awakened by an owl hooting at the Bedroom window. a thought went through my mind "The owl called her name"
When the message is for you, your spirit will hear it and understand.

Quote:
...........a minute later the phone rang and before I even answered I knew it was the hospital calling to tell me my wife had passed away.
I recall my mothers father sitting at the foot of my bed in the middle of the night telling me he was all right and not to be concerned. I was just out of highschool and was still living with my parents. I lived in New Mexico and he lived in Tulsa. When he left, I got up and grabbed a shower and got dressed. while in the shower dad came to the door and told me my grandfather had passed. I told him that I knew already and would go service the car while he took care of my mother. By the time they were ready to go, I had the car loaded.

There are many messengers. When one has a message you will hear it, provided you are listening and not talking.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:21 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
Silence, patience and my "special places" where I feel Gods presence the most have assured me that I have finally recognized and accepted that each of us may be on different paths, but they all lead to our Creator when our journeys are done.

Yours has been a path made just for you Woodrow and your patience and tolerance for ALL have proven you are also at peace, as well as many others I have observed in this Sacred Circle as I come in quite often just to feel the peace.

When there is a death or other tragedy in the family I am often given a sign. I do not understand why except it is very real. Good news comes with a white floating form that has no distinction, just a glance, a passing breath of comfort..It was there in my daughters room mostly hovering at the foot of her bed when she was so terribly ill with cancer and her Chemo treatments.

Bad news comes with a gasping fright as I feel covered and surrounded by sudden breathtaking darkness. This has only happened once. When my nephew committed suicide.

Other times like at the passing of my mom and later, my dad I new when the phone rang. My mom seemed fine one minute they said and the next was collapsed on the floor. My dad's death was expected.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:28 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,847 times
For some Nations, the owl is a bad omen and they fear it. This is why members of those Nations will never wear or carry owl feathers. For others, it is not the same. I asked my grandfather about this and he said that for we Comanches, the owl is merely a messenger. Sometimes it brings good news, sometime bad. He went on to say that either way, we need to listen and try to understand.

It is amazing how if we pay attention, the natural world can speak to us. I don't generally relate stories from my own life concerning these matters, but I will tell one now. A couple of years ago, my wife and I went on vacation to the Mesa Verde area here in Colorado. Were were on a seven mile hike to a cliff dwelling that was not in the normal tourist area there. When we got to the site and were standing there looking at and thinking/talking about that site, a hummingbird kept flitting around us and would not leave. It would light on bushes near us then flit around us again.

As I watched it, it came over me that we should leave NOW. My wife didn't argue and we started hiking back to the ranger station we started from. I noticed that when we did the hummingbird flew off and did not return. No sooner had we arrived back at the ranger station it started pouring with thunder, lightning and heavy hail. We just made it and were out of harm's way. You have to stop and listen sometimes.

Last edited by Fullback32; 11-01-2012 at 08:44 AM..

Old 11-01-2012, 08:36 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times

I thought of you and your grandfather when I saw this, fullback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality