Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 06:13 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,514,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
.. I am thankful to the Creator for every day since then that he has allowed to continue my journey in this life.osay
As are all of us, ptsum. Speaking only for myself, you have helped to bring a peace and balance (and a bit of a challenge) to my life that I did not have before coming to this place. I think this is a very good thing, as do those around me in the real (as opposed to cyber) world...

Aiokpanchi, Wado, Aho,and other expressions of thanks,

-- Nighteyes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 06:13 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,118,036 times
As do we all, Ptsum.
Nighteyes, we always like to read your posts, but in my case, I am not always on line every day and there may have been several posts before and the subject has changed. Let me be the first to tell you, your deoderant and teeth are fine, but your hair, well, we just may need to talk about that.

Last edited by masonsdaughter; 02-18-2011 at 06:33 AM..

Old 02-18-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
... but your hair, well, we just may need to talk about that.
<--- Finds himself wondering if he left his webcam on...

Old 02-18-2011, 03:12 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times
One of the things a grandfather taught me is that one does not have to chatter all the time. When one is comfortable with those around him, silence can be a good thing......no need to "fill the silence" with trivial or mindless conversation.

Nighteyes, when I check the forums I always come here first........actually it can be a matter of great indecision for me. Do I jump in with both feet and see the new posts and see what wisdom and humor and thoughts a brother or sister has shared? or do I save it until later like a dessert or treat after putting up with the silly stuff elsewhere.

And it is kind of interesting. I am a VERY political and religious protaganist.....I am an argumentative, strong minded, opinionated individual. In many such "discussions" my attitude is "If I agree with you, that would make both of us wrong."

And there is so much today to consider and develop opinions about......illegal immigration, Egypt and Tunisia and the Muslim peoples struggle for freedom.....a freedom that does NOT appear to be Sharia based, the effort to further marginalize the working classes of the world like what is happening in Wisconsin and Ohio, insane churches like Westboro, the current penchant for the "Name it and claim it Christianity"......will Sarah run or is she campaigning to be First Lady somehow........there seems to be a disconnect there somewhere.

But after dealing with the myopic, the illiterate, the inane, the insane, and the stupid.....I will come here and click on a page and reread what I consider the best collection of wisdom and friendship and spiritual integrity on the internet.

For that, despite my failure to respond frequently, I thank all of you..........including you, Nighteyes.

wado

Old 02-21-2011, 10:03 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,118,036 times
Nighteyes, there is a reason I don't have a webcam. Does Phylis Diller bring anything to mind?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Nighteyes, there is a reason I don't have a webcam. Does Phylis Diller bring anything to mind?

Thanks to all.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:47 PM

I heard today that a sacred spirit (is there ANY other kind?) had passed.........I will share more later.

Spirit of the Flute

Old 02-23-2011, 06:33 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiHr0...mbedded#at=118

Old 02-25-2011, 08:29 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
I watched the YouTube video and was impressed with the words at the end of it. [No matter where you go, you're still on native land]. I think back to my ancestors, those that were here long before the European came. They were a kind of people that were kind and generous to strangers, a simple, trusting kind of people that would share whatever they had with others and maybe that was their downfall, they were too kind and trusting of strangers. They knew nothing of the ways of the Europeans and expected to be treated the same by the Europeans. They knew nothing of the greed and the hypocrisy of these new people and their beliefs. This from many thousands of years the native people of this land had lived in harmony with the land and had their own cultural beliefs and no one was ever forced to change that belief or culture, the wars were ever fought over one's cultural belief and no one was ever told that what they believed was right or wrong, it was a personal choice as it should be. There were certain ceremonies that were celebrated at a particular time throughout the seasons and the community would come together in celebration to honor the spirits at these times but no one was ever forced to do so, it was a choice. That is why the native people eventually could never trust the European with their beliefs and greed. The wars that were fought against the European were wars that were fought for survival, survival for people and land and for our culture, a culture that had been in existence for many thousands of years before the first Europeans set foot on this land, a land that was our home, a land that we had great respect for, a land that provided us with everything we needed in order to survive. I have come to realize that the more I learn about my ancestors the more greater respect I have for what they had endured and I honor them by continuing their memory in myself. It is true, no matter where I go, I'm still on native land. Thank you brother Goodpasture for that video.wado

Old 02-27-2011, 12:16 PM

I tried to watch a movie today...................

"The Only Good Indian"
Quote:
The Only Good Indian is a 2009 independent feature film directed by Kevin Willmott.

The film was shot almost entirely in Kansas -- the only exception being a scene at Missouri's Ha Ha Tonka State Park[1] -- featuring locations such as the Monument Rocks and Fort Larned. Filming occurred in 2007-2008 and the movie premiered at the 2009 Sundance Film Festival[2], subsequently showing at other film festivals. The film won Willmott "Best Director" honors at the American Indian Film Festival, as well as acting honors for Wes Studi and Winter Fox Frank.[3]

The story is set in Kansas during the early 1900s. A teenaged Native American boy (newcomer Winter Fox Frank) is taken from his family and forced to attend a distant Indian `training` school to assimilate into White society. When he escapes to return to his family, Sam Franklin (Wes Studi), a bounty hunter of Cherokee descent, is hired to find and return him to the institution. Franklin, a former Indian scout for the U.S. Army, has renounced his Native heritage and has adopted the White Man’s way of life, believing it’s the only way for Indians to survive. Along the way, a tragic incident spurs Franklin’s longtime nemesis, the famous `Indian Fighter` Sheriff Henry McCoy (J. Kenneth Campbell), to pursue both Franklin and the boy.
Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7OVCFNNUfk

I couldn't finish it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhC5-Myj6gs

Your nation is beside the point.........Being Sioux or Cherokee, Cheyenne or Modoc, Ute or Choctaw regardless of what nation you descend from, we share the same blood and cry the same tears, our feet touch the same mother............

Last edited by Goodpasture; 02-27-2011 at 12:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality