Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2010, 01:21 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times

Advertisements

A blending of cultures........with a grandfather from Maui and a grandmother who was Cherokee, I found the following music to be particularly enjoyable.

Quote:
Keola [Beamer] established himself early on as the family's youngest standard-bearer. A child of the rock and roll era, he has always been on the vanguard of the Hawaiian contemporary sound. However, he also helped drive what has come to be known as the Hawaiian Cultural Renaissance: he has recorded many of the songs written by his ancestors, from the lively Keawaiki to the lullaby Pupu Hinuhinu.
Biography and Family History | Keola Beamer

Quote:
Of Navajo-Ute heritage, R. Carlos Nakai is the world’s premier performer of the Native American flute. He began his musical studies on the trumpet, but a car accident ruined his embouchure. His musical interests took a turn when he was given a traditional cedar flute as a gift and challenged to master it. As an artist, he is an adventurer and risk taker, always giving his musical imagination free rein. Nakai is also an iconoclastic traditionalist who views his cultural heritage not only as a source and inspiration, but also a dynamic continuum of natural change, growth, and adaptation subject to the artist’s expressive needs.
R. Carlos Nakai

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkoUDdY3JSI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAhlvGJbefg

Last edited by Goodpasture; 12-26-2010 at 01:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 07:36 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
morning circle!
it's very cold and clear here....current temp 16.
east coast circle members please be careful out there.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:29 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
east coast circle members please be careful out there.
Shouldn't us West Coasters be careful too?

EVERYBODY take care to have fun, and just take care. Weather, drivers with a snootful, and etc.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:22 AM

I understand the west coast is getting some more rain........I am constantly amazed that the more conservative elements of society dismiss climate change as "global warming," using the snow storms as evidence, without regard or recognition of the science involved.........but as I think about it, I shouldn't be surprised that people who deny the science concerning evolving species would also deny the science of climatology.

One of the things about the creator that so many fail to realize is that suicide is acceptable. Death is part of this world. The creator does not place the importance on it that we do. One of the quotes that many of us that have a relationship with the creator find worth while is "Today is a good day to die." Not that death is to be sought after, but that it is irrelevant to what you need to accomplish. You do what you need to do, and if it results in your death, then so be it. And if mankind is intent on killing itself off, then the creator will not interfere.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:47 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,659,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I understand the west coast is getting some more rain........I am constantly amazed that the more conservative elements of society dismiss climate change as "global warming," using the snow storms as evidence, without regard or recognition of the science involved.........but as I think about it, I shouldn't be surprised that people who deny the science concerning evolving species would also deny the science of climatology.

One of the things about the creator that so many fail to realize is that suicide is acceptable. Death is part of this world. The creator does not place the importance on it that we do. One of the quotes that many of us that have a relationship with the creator find worth while is "Today is a good day to die." Not that death is to be sought after, but that it is irrelevant to what you need to accomplish. You do what you need to do, and if it results in your death, then so be it. And if mankind is intent on killing itself off, then the creator will not interfere.

My brother,it is a philosophy of life and death that very few would understand. I am reminded of the words of the great Chief Tecumseh: When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. Or the words of White Elk: When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice. And lastly the words of Crowfoot, A Blackfoot Warrior: What is life? It is a flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is a little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the Sunset.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:18 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,659,782 times
As I sit here looking back over this last decade, I've been thinking of all the changes and different events that have happened within my life these past 10 years, I realize that many things that have occurred personally, the friends and family that have passed on to the other side who are never forgotten and will always be a part of me, new friends and family members who have come into my life and in most cases have made me a better person, I learned and that is what life is supposed to be, a learning process and as you learn you pass on that knowledge to future generations in the hopes that you have taught them well and given them the tools and knowledge to live a good life and to treat everyone and every living thing equally and with respect. I believe in honoring my elders, they teach that at the end of our life walk, we should leave no tracks other than our families and our students. As the new year and new decade comes upon us I can only hope that I have been a good student and teacher. To all here who sit within the sacred circle and to those yet to come, may the coming of the new year and new decade bring you all many blessings. wa-do osay

Old 12-31-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
............ It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime..........
Not to be disrespectful, but have you ever smelled a buffalo's breath? It is good that some things are short lived...........

Let me join you in thanking the people who chose to sit in this circle. You have all come to mean something a bit special to me, and the quality of my life would be less without you all. I hope the holiday season was joyful and pleasant to you all. I also hope for the best life has to offer to you in the coming year. I do not ask that it be easy........easy will rob you of strength. But I ask that those challenges that arise bring strength and joy to your life.

Have a good year to all my friends on here.

Old 12-31-2010, 06:58 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,972 times
Quote:
I understand the west coast is getting some more rain...
Yep. My home town has gotten more rain in a week than Mobile Alabama (the wettest city in the nation) typically gets in a month. And more is on the way.

Quote:
I am constantly amazed that the more conservative elements of society dismiss climate change as "global warming" ...
IMO, they do it because of the lead messenger rather than the message. They do it because they cannot conceive of anyone who might actually be motivated by altruism rather than the good of the political party. They do it because they, if the roles were reversed, would do exactly what they decry.

Of course, I could be mistaken. But I think not.

Quote:
I would only object to the word "suicide." Sacrificing ones self in support/defense of a greater goal, to me, is not suicide.

Happy New Year, and all that this means/implies, to all!

-- Nighteyes (written at 1754 hours Pacific Standard Time)

Old 01-01-2011, 05:26 AM

444 posts, read 1,212,012 times
Happy New Year friends of this circle! Thank you ptsum, for your heart is made of gold to start this thread, and keep it sacred. Thank you goodpasture, your soul is wonderful, and you have much to share to heal the world. I cant name you all but I love all of you, and wish you the very best for this new year born today. This circle has helped me stay strong through my geneology journey, which is very painful to find out what happened to those who brought me into this world. I grew, I learned, I cried, and I have more understanding why we moved and moved and moved. I have had the blessed truth come through my DNA test, and I match folks from the area I had suspected we had originated. I asked God to help me, and he gave me this circle, and I thank you all for your kindness and mercy when I was feeling my lowest and my health was falling. I am better now, my eyes see what they could not for 2 1/2 years, and I am so grateful. Cheers!
Love Karen

Old 01-01-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
I would only object to the word "suicide." Sacrificing ones self in support/defense of a greater goal, to me, is not suicide.
There is a big difference (in my mind) between sacrifice and suicide.

Lemming running into the sea is not a sacrifice, it is suicide.

Custer committed suicide the day he took 700 men into the Little Bighorn and split his command.....the men with him made the sacrifice.

Mankind ignoring the science that proves our contribution to climate change that can very easily disrupt the climate to make our planet uninhabitable is suicide.

A soldier giving his life for his unit is sacrificing. It is not suicide.

A warrior standing between his people and an overwhelming enemy is sacrificing, not committing suicide.

I think the so called suicide bombers are in fact sacrificing themselves. In this it is important to recognize the difference if you are ever going to have success in dealing with them.....or the conditions that create them.

When I spoke of suicide I was referring more to the headlong rush to exploit the planet and the arrogant thinking that regardless of what we do as a people the planet will continue as it is.......providing us a habitable place to exist. I think biology has proven that a species can kill itself through abuse of its environment. This is suicide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality