Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2010, 11:32 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
really? we do have one left......call him gimpy cause he has a bad back leg.....big knot on his knee that was probably injured and never treated......and I can go to Boston......not that big of a drive.......
But..I don't live in Boston (June does) .

I am in East Kentucky a little South of Mason's Daughter, and quite a ways from Illinois.

Anyway Gimpy sounds wonderful..and who knows? Maybe Junes little Misha would like a big brother or sister.

And maybe June's gonna shoot me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 12:19 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
But..I don't live in Boston (June does) .

I am in East Kentucky a little South of Mason's Daughter, and quite a ways from Illinois.

Anyway Gimpy sounds wonderful..and who knows? Maybe Junes little Misha would like a big brother or sister.

And maybe June's gonna shoot me
oh yeah.......when you to be my age, minor things like who lives where tends to slip away........

If you are serious, I will let you know in a few days and if everything is cool, we can drop him off......I think I have to go through KY to get home anyway if I am going to go the southern route. I have to go to Pittsburgh on the way to cape cod to drop off the one I am holding in the photo.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:01 PM

3,489 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
By the way, the Elf brought a six pack of that Smithwick stuff, so all's well!
I absolutely KNEW there was something I really liked about you! I first became acquainted with Smith'icks in Western Ireland about 18 months ago, and it has been my favorite ale ever since.

Coming from the central Gulf Coast as I do, and now knowing of your affinity for Smith'icks, there's another ale I'd like to recommend (if you can find it). Its called "Turbo Dog", and it comes from the Abita Brewing Company in Abita Springs LA, just a tad north of New Orleans. In particular, it goes great with spicy food such as gumbo, etouffe, jambalaya, etc. Emeril LaGasse uses it in many of his more rustic Cajun/Creole recipes, as do I...

Here in SoCal I can only get it from Beverages And More (aka Bev Mo), and it isn't cheap. But Hooo-EEE, cher, its sho' nuff good, yeh!

-- Nighteyes (whut loves dat Cajun/Creole cookin'...)

Old 12-14-2010, 02:47 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Mattie Jo, Welcome and I'm glad that you have joined us in the sacred circle. I'm a little curious about what you said about Buddhism, are there different denominations of Buddhism and I use the word denominations for lack of better understanding. I know very little about Buddhism but what I do know is that it is a belief of peace and love and respect for one another, so maybe you can enlighten us a little bit more about Buddhism and its teachings.
I joined this group a while back but then I didn't stay.

The basic teachings of Buddha in all the different lineages are the same, the teachings of suffering and how to end suffering--the 4 Noble Truths. Just as in Christianity you have the teachings of Christ which are basically love, compassion, and peace. But difference Buddhist practice certain things differently. You have Zen Buddhists and Tibetan Buddhists and many inbetween, just the basic teachings are the same. Some sects just use different suttas, such as the Theravada do not go beyond certain texts and the Zen Buddhists may have extra ones that also include the what the Theravada use, as an example.

Sometimes you have strife with these divisions, but there really shouldn't be and most groups tend to accept other lineages to a degree. The strife may come from saying that certain texts were not Buddha's. Some Buddhists teach that you should only following your own teacher and his/her teachings on the Buddha and that you should not even attend other churches, such as Christian or read other teachings, etc. That is not the way of the tradition that I am in, in fact you can even attend other churches unless they use hard hand tactics to get and keep you and/or if they practice animal sacrifices. This is the type of Buddhism that I was drawn to because I was once in a Christian faith where you were not permitted to read any other faiths or even attend any other faith, to do so would get you kicked out. I think we can all learn from each other as well.

Years ago when I first began reading Buddhism I found many similarities with it and what I had learned about Christ, but I am just more drawn to Buddha.
But I also like the American Indian teachings and live in the Cherokee Nation, which is also that of my ancestors, but as many say around here, I am part Indian but I can't prove it. I can't either, but I want that tee shirt that says, I am part white but I can't prove it. I find it hard here to get books that go deep into the Indian teachings, and I hope this thread does more than what I have found here.

Basically I want to live my life in a way that takes care of the earth, but this is not easy, is it?

Old 12-14-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Mattie Jo,

I am also glad that you have chosen to join us. As you probably know by now, I follow the teachings of Christ as I understand them. That does not, however, prevent me from recognizing the Divine in other teachings. For example, one of my all-time favorite sayings is "Kindness is my religion" (and it is). Who said it? The Dalai Lama.

Wishing the Season's Very Best to you and yours,

-- Nighteyes
"Kindness is my religion" is one of my favorite sayings of the Dalai Lama.

I recognize the divine in other teachings and in all people as well. It is wonderful to have Christians here accepting others and sharing. This is a wonderful circle to be in.

And for your information, I have been sitting here listening to Mannheim Steamroller's Christmas music.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:04 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
I joined this group a while back but then I didn't stay.

The basic teachings of Buddha in all the different lineages are the same, the teachings of suffering and how to end suffering--the 4 Noble Truths. Just as in Christianity you have the teachings of Christ which are basically love, compassion, and peace. But difference Buddhist practice certain things differently. You have Zen Buddhists and Tibetan Buddhists and many inbetween, just the basic teachings are the same. Some sects just use different suttas, such as the Theravada do not go beyond certain texts and the Zen Buddhists may have extra ones that also include the what the Theravada use, as an example.

Sometimes you have strife with these divisions, but there really shouldn't be and most groups tend to accept other lineages to a degree. The strife may come from saying that certain texts were not Buddha's. Some Buddhists teach that you should only following your own teacher and his/her teachings on the Buddha and that you should not even attend other churches, such as Christian or read other teachings, etc. That is not the way of the tradition that I am in, in fact you can even attend other churches unless they use hard hand tactics to get and keep you and/or if they practice animal sacrifices. This is the type of Buddhism that I was drawn to because I was once in a Christian faith where you were not permitted to read any other faiths or even attend any other faith, to do so would get you kicked out. I think we can all learn from each other as well.

Years ago when I first began reading Buddhism I found many similarities with it and what I had learned about Christ, but I am just more drawn to Buddha.
But I also like the American Indian teachings and live in the Cherokee Nation, which is also that of my ancestors, but as many say around here, I am part Indian but I can't prove it. I can't either, but I want that tee shirt that says, I am part white but I can't prove it. I find it hard here to get books that go deep into the Indian teachings, and I hope this thread does more than what I have found here.

Basically I want to live my life in a way that takes care of the earth, but this is not easy, is it?
I didn't realize that there were so many different divisions within Buddhism but I'm not surprised, I am however surprised that there would be any strife between those divisions since it is a philosophy of love and peace and toleration, but it's good to see that the followers of the Buddha's philosophy can also go into a Christian worship and feel comfortable. I'm not surprised of the fact that some Christian worshipers are not allowed to attend or read other Christian material, but at the same time it makes me wonder, what is it that they're afraid of and what are they hiding?

Old 12-14-2010, 05:36 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,669 times
Gabfest, thanks for the link and for the kind words. My animal family gives me far more than I can ever repay. I just wish I could do more.
Mattie Jo, good to see a new name in the circle. Welcome.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I didn't realize that there were so many different divisions within Buddhism but I'm not surprised, I am however surprised that there would be any strife between those divisions since it is a philosophy of love and peace and toleration, but it's good to see that the followers of the Buddha's philosophy can also go into a Christian worship and feel comfortable. I'm not surprised of the fact that some Christian worshipers are not allowed to attend or read other Christian material, but at the same time it makes me wonder, what is it that they're afraid of and what are they hiding?
Not all Buddhist groups are open-minded about allowing members to go to other groups. People are people no matter what religion they are in. Even Christ taught peace and love yet not all practice this. This is just something that has to be worked on through studying the teachings and applying what one learns no matter what religion you are in.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:05 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
Not all Buddhist groups are open-minded about allowing members to go to other groups. People are people no matter what religion they are in. Even Christ taught peace and love yet not all practice this. This is just something that has to be worked on through studying the teachings and applying what one learns no matter what religion you are in.

Yes Mattie Jo, these words are true and it is unfortunate that people are like that and it is a shame that more people are not more open-minded about religion. I thank you for this conversation even I have learned and that's what this is all about, the sitting down and talking with respect to one another and the sharing of knowledge.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:28 PM

3,489 posts, read 6,507,283 times
[quote=ptsum;17006627]...and that's what this is all about, the sitting down and talking with respect to one another and the sharing of knowledge./quote]

Though not quite on-topic, my wife and I had the opportunity to sit down, for the first time, with our son's mother-in-law over dinner in an Italian restaurant last night. Over a period of better than 3 hours we learned that, though we come from extremely different backgrounds and experiences, we have a lot in common. In short, WE ALL ENJOYED IT, and WE ALL LEARNED A LOT!

The sad part is that, because of the urgencies of modern life and the distances involved, we did not learn of this before. You see, our son has been married to her daughter for better than 15 years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality