Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2011, 03:32 AM

444 posts, read 1,212,339 times

Advertisements

Thinking of all of you, and hoping your hearts will heal and reach peace. The angels of earth are being called, we cant change that, there is a reason but we are not to know. Sorry for your sadness of loss and I hope their lives made a difference in yours. love and hugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 09:08 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,118,036 times
JazzyMom I am sorry for your loss. Thanks to everyone. My aunt is still holding her own. About her, well, she has the softest voice and manner, and the sweetest smile, until you crossed her, then she could give you a look that would freeze you in your tracks. She always tried to see the good in everything. You wanted to protect her, but she is so strong in such a gentle way, she doesn't need it. She gently makes the best of what is thrown at her. Stubborn? She could give mules lessons. She has such a pleasent round face and the most beautiful green eyes. She is truly a bright light in this world. Orions, thanks for the angel.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:17 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,514,366 times
masonsdaughter,

Are you sure we're not related? Your aunt sounds exactly like one of mine, and that's quite a compliment because she's quite a lady! Small but feisty, dark eyes that can sparkle with laughter or freeze your marrow.

The world is a much better place because of people like your aunt. Please convey my best wishes to her, along with my Get-Well-Soon hopes.

(P-s-s-s-s-t! You can tell her that she needs to get outa that bed, 'cause the sheets are needed elsewhere! If she's as much like my aunt as I suspect, she'll grin and maybe even cackle a bit! )

-- Nighteyes

Old 01-06-2011, 06:32 PM

815 posts, read 1,544,703 times
Someone, certainly, names it nonsense and will start to tell about natural process of globalization and inevitable occurrence of the "international" adverb for the general blessing and a step to a liberalism and humanism celebration over chauvinism. The ideal tolerant future: without hatred, without prejudices, without complexes, without idea, without the Native land and without the people. Instead of them – gray herd of humanoid , with the name: «the consumer and the tax bearer», and some years – "electorate". Their life – in the present: the first and unique priority – satisfaction of the basic instincts. The formula familiar to Romans «bread and shows» operates. For this purpose it is necessary to take creation of the nature with the name «homo sapiens», and to kill all people .

Old 01-06-2011, 07:57 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,280,448 times
June, just stopping by amid some extraordinary (and unexpected) life circumstances that would more than make her welcome a bit of warmth...From a sacred circle or otherwise...

Many thanks.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:56 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,045,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June, just stopping by amid some extraordinary (and unexpected) life circumstances that would more than make her welcome a bit of warmth...From a sacred circle or otherwise...

Many thanks.

Warmth and thoughts coming your way.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:26 AM

444 posts, read 1,212,339 times
I feel compelled to share a poem I found in my great grandmother's obituary. Also, ptsum, I am going to answer a question you had of me, but not yet in it's entirety, briefly...yes there is a great sadness in my bloodline, and I knew of it when I was little,and did not know what it's cause was, but now that I have found 9 generations in America, and where we had come from, and the religious persecution reasons we had to flee from our ancestral homes and fight for a freedom of religion act in a country we would make free for all people to flee to for safety, then to find that country is not really free afterall, and the patriots, and their decendants, who fought for it, all in a general way, slandered as "responsible for slavery", WOW! I think I am going to find one of my direct ancestors may have been physically on the boats throwing tea in the harbor at Boston! Taxation without representation equals slavery. Through all that came to pass, this poem I found, points out something not many think of, when wondering how America came to be settled and at least a sense of freedom felt that not many realise:
'Bravest Battle' by Joaquin Miller

The bravest battle that was ever fought
shall I tell you where and when?
On the maps of the world you will find it not
Twas fought by the mothers of men.

Nay, not with cannon or battle shot
with sword or nobler pen,
Nay, not with eloquent words of thought
from mouths of wonderful men.

But deep in a walled-up woman's heart
A woman that would not yeild
But bravely, silently, bore her part
Lo! there is that battlefield!

No marshalling troops,no bivouac song,
No banners to gleam and wave
But oh!- these battles- they last so long,
from babyhood to the grave!

Yet faithful still as a bridge of tears
She fights in her walled-up town
Fights on and on in the endless wars
Then silent, unseen, goes down.

Oh, ye with banners and battle shot,
And soldiers to shout and praise.
I tell you the kingliest victories fought
Were fought in these silent ways.

O, spotless woman in a world of shame
with a splendid and silent scorn,
Go back to God as white as you came,
The Kingliest warrior born!

Old 01-07-2011, 09:43 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
OrionsAngel, I read that poem and was very moved by it, as an old warrior I can relate and I think it was the first paragraph of the poem that really struck at the heart of it. It's true that mothers of young warriors who are sent off to fight and defend are the ones that fight the greatest battles of all, they are the ones they give birth to these young warriors and then see them go off to fight, knowing that it's possible that they will never see them alive again, it is a very silent and tragic battle that they fight within themselves and it is truly the greatest battle of all.

With your permission I would like to respond to the first part of your post and if I understand you correctly from what I have read, you sound like you torn between some of the things that your ancestors did in the past. Let me give you a little of my past on my mothers side of the family. You see the European ancestors on my mothers side also came to this land because of religious persecution, the two prominent families are well known throughout New England, some where here before the Pilgrims and some came over with the Pilgrims, I am 11th generation on my mothers side in this country from these two families. Now let me tell you, you speak of one of the greatest atrocities that occurred in this country and that it is possible that your family was involved in part of that, so was mine, one of my mothers ancestral family's were the builders of ship for the slave trade, the other ancestral family were the merchants that sold the slaves, now as generations went on, one of the members of those families was also a signer of the Constitution and Bill of Rights and another went on to become known as The Great Agnostic and wrote and delivered the eulogy for Pres. Ulysses S. Grant, all of this is well documented and there are books about the two families in the Library of Congress. On my father's side, I am 24th generation that we know of, there could be more but my great grandmother and her parents and family were part of The Trail of Tears and some members of her family perished along the trail. I also have some Irish ancestors who came to this country because of religious persecution and settled in the Appalachian and Smoky Mountain areas. These are my ancestors, it is because of them that I am who I am, that can't be changed and none of us can be held accountable for anything that our ancestors did in the past, there are some things that were done that I cannot condone but I cannot change it either, except it for what it is and the greatest thing that can be done is to learn from it and not repeat the same mistakes that we consider to be wrong.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:58 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,514,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
(Bolding added for emphasis)... none of us can be held accountable for anything that our ancestors did in the past, there are some things that were done that I cannot condone but I cannot change it either, except it for what it is and the greatest thing that can be done is to learn from it and not repeat the same mistakes that we consider to be wrong.
I agree with all of what you said, and especially the part that I emphasized.

-- Nighteyes

Old 01-07-2011, 05:30 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,118,036 times
Hey, June, hope you feel the warmth from the circle and things are better with you.
Nighteyes, It is possible that we share a bloodline, and something tells me I wouldn't mind that. She is no longer speaking, but she grinned at me and her eyes lit up. Thanks for the get well wishes.
OrionsAngel, that was a very moving poem and so true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality