Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 10:20 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionsAngel View Post
Happy New Year friends of this circle! Thank you ptsum, for your heart is made of gold to start this thread, and keep it sacred. Thank you goodpasture, your soul is wonderful, and you have much to share to heal the world. I cant name you all but I love all of you, and wish you the very best for this new year born today. This circle has helped me stay strong through my geneology journey, which is very painful to find out what happened to those who brought me into this world. I grew, I learned, I cried, and I have more understanding why we moved and moved and moved. I have had the blessed truth come through my DNA test, and I match folks from the area I had suspected we had originated. I asked God to help me, and he gave me this circle, and I thank you all for your kindness and mercy when I was feeling my lowest and my health was falling. I am better now, my eyes see what they could not for 2 1/2 years, and I am so grateful. Cheers!
Love Karen

OrionsAngel, it is good to hear that you are doing well and that your eyesight has been restored, you speak of genealogy and I noticed a little touch of sadness in your voice as you do so, sometimes there are things in our past that we really don't understand, we can only go by the stories that have been passed down from generation to generation and these stories sometimes get embellished and sometimes not all of the story is there but these are things that make us who we are, the people in our past did things that we would consider never doing but they did so in some cases in order to survive and we cannot forget that, these were different times. I looked back at even my own past and some of the things that were done by my ancestors, I could not say that I wouldn't do the same because I do not know all the circumstances that would cause them to do some of the things that they did, but I do know that because of them I am here and for that I am thankful. On another note, every time I see your username come up, I think of a family tradition that I carry on each year, you see on New Year's Eve every year at the stroke of mid-night I go outside and face the southern sky and look towards Orion's Belt and toast the ancestors, I carry on this tradition from my father and my father's father and my father's father's father who did it before me, you see I see the seven stars of Orion's Belt and from my Irish ancestors on my fathers side of the family I am seventh generation I am also 24th generation, that we know of, of my Tsalagi ancestors. So I'm always glad to see your username come up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 10:21 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
There is a big difference (in my mind) between sacrifice and suicide.

Lemming running into the sea is not a sacrifice, it is suicide.

Custer committed suicide the day he took 700 men into the Little Bighorn and split his command.....the men with him made the sacrifice.

Mankind ignoring the science that proves our contribution to climate change that can very easily disrupt the climate to make our planet uninhabitable is suicide.

A soldier giving his life for his unit is sacrificing. It is not suicide.

A warrior standing between his people and an overwhelming enemy is sacrificing, not committing suicide.

I think the so called suicide bombers are in fact sacrificing themselves. In this it is important to recognize the difference if you are ever going to have success in dealing with them.....or the conditions that create them.

When I spoke of suicide I was referring more to the headlong rush to exploit the planet and the arrogant thinking that regardless of what we do as a people the planet will continue as it is.......providing us a habitable place to exist. I think biology has proven that a species can kill itself through abuse of its environment. This is suicide.

I agree with this post , Goodpasture...

With this exception which I probably just didn't full understand what you were saying.
I think the suicide bomber has been brainwashed to think he is sacrificing himself, when in reality he is a murderer as he takes out [sacrifices?]everyone he can with himself..When we hear the word "sacrifice" we usually think "hero"..I guess that is why we do not call them sacrificial bombers

From what I have read, it is pretty hard t deprogram a suicide bomber who believes he is doing the will of Allah and will be rewarded in heaven for his "sacrifice"

Old 01-01-2011, 11:16 AM

727 posts, read 540,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
"Today is a good day to die."
And then Frank ja Ethel Mars create Mars
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN4489BNSDA Happy non-suicide year for sacred circle ppl and young ndns. Hang in there beautifuls

Old 01-01-2011, 11:51 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I think the suicide bomber has been brainwashed to think he is sacrificing himself, when in reality he is a murderer as he takes out [sacrifices?]everyone he can with himself..When we hear the word "sacrifice" we usually think "hero"..I guess that is why we do not call them sacrificial bombers

From what I have read, it is pretty hard t deprogram a suicide bomber who believes he is doing the will of Allah and will be rewarded in heaven for his "sacrifice"
this is a matter of perspective. to the suicide bomber he is sacrificing himself. If you are going to try to deal with people like this you must look at it from their perspective. You cannot impose your belief structure on someone who does not recognize the validity of your belief structure.

the first step in achieving peace is to establish common ground.......and that begins with understanding your opposition. Once you understand the opposition you might be able to reach a compromise that works for both parties. If you cannot reach such a compromise then at least you know that war must be waged. Further you understand that war must, by definition, be waged until the opposition is eradicated or willing to compromise......peace cannot be achieved any other way.

it is unfortunate that our leaders do not have that clarity of thought in the wars we currently wage.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:12 AM

764 posts, read 1,422,307 times
A couple of days late, but Happy New Year all! I hope all of you have a very happy, healthy, and prosperous year.

Blessings,
pnc

Old 01-03-2011, 08:57 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,118,036 times
Happy belated New Years, everyone. The circle (everyone here) has been a bright spot in my life this past year and I hope for many years to come. I have an Aunt who is gravely ill and for those of you who pray, I would ask that you ask the creator to comfort her and her family.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:37 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Happy belated New Years, everyone. The circle (everyone here) has been a bright spot in my life this past year and I hope for many years to come. I have an Aunt who is gravely ill and for those of you who pray, I would ask that you ask the creator to comfort her and her family.
good tithings to you masonsdaughter! the circle has been a bright spot for me too. i reached out to the circle during one my son's extreme crohn's flares with no expectations; the circle recieved me and heard my cry...money can't buy that.

thoughts and prayers to your aunt... celebrate her life and her contributions and please remember this: HEARING IS THE LAST THING TO GO (sorry i shouted).

Old 01-05-2011, 07:16 AM

444 posts, read 1,212,339 times
Touched by an angel

Old 01-05-2011, 07:18 AM

444 posts, read 1,212,339 times
I dont know if the photo showed up, can you tell me? If it did not, you can see it in my album

Old 01-05-2011, 07:34 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,045,427 times
I've come into the circle with a prayer for my nephew Matthew who died Wednesday. May the creator hold him close and bring comfort to his family. Especially his mother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality