Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 10:38 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
........... I have this feeling she never trusted me when I would go to Oklahoma by myself.
doubt it had anything at all to do with Charley............I am sure she was aware that Oklahoma has had 6 Miss Americas.......the largest number per capita in the country..........Only two states have had as many...California and Ohio.......we seem to have a lot of really pretty women here and most of them seem to like ndn's.....even the uncivilized kind......maybe I should say they prefer the uncivilized kind.......

But Oklahoma is no where for a woman to allow her husband to go alone...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 08:56 AM

88,622 posts, read 84,875,076 times
I learn so much just reading this thread! Thanks to all those with NDN ancestry for sharing stories and words and family history. I have no such ancestry myself and am always interested in people with traditions different from mine.

I thought of this thread the other day, because I had an Aha! moment of peace that came my way.

The purpose of my job is to ensure fairness and integrity in an industry infested with political influence. The other morning, when I rose at 5 a.m., I looked out the window and saw two deer outside. I was delighted to see them, because I recently moved to a new town in a different section of the state and like most of New Jersey, there aren't huge stretches of wilderness left anywhere. But there are parks and woods nearby, and there's an apple tree out by the parking lot of my condo complex that must attract the deer.

So I went to work, forgetting about the four-legged visitors at dawn, and it was a particularly trying day with someone trying to manipulate our processes and causing us to have to do a lot of work to ensure that things are kept on the up and up. I ended up leaving late, and my commute from NYC is long, and so it was almost twilight when I got home. As I passed our municipal building complex, I saw three fawns, still spotted, grazing on the lawn, and the sight of them just washed the city and its greed off of me and I remembered the other deer I had seen that morning. It's as if nature sent me these friends as bookends to a difficult day.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:48 PM

Not all warrior societies are ndn........every nation, every land, has their own warriors. I learned today of the loss of a brave man........a warrior who earned our respect and honor..........

Quote:
Bill Millin, a Scottish bagpiper who braved mortar shells, raking machine guns, and sniper fire to play morale-pumping tunes for his fellow commandos from the beaches of Normandy on D-day, died Tuesday at a hospital in the English county of Devon after a stroke. He was 88.
Quote:
When asked through an interpreter why the snipers had not aimed for Mr. Millin, whose blaring bagpipes would have made him an easy target, the prisoners had a simple answer.

The German shooters didn’t bother, they said, because the man making all that noise seemed to be on a suicide mission and was clearly mad.
Quote:
..........Mr. Millin played rousing renditions of “Highland Laddie’’ and “Road to the Isles,’’ energizing the advancing troops and comforting the men whose last moments were spent on foreign soil.
Bill Millin, 88, ‘mad piper’ to Scottish brigade in WWII - The Boston Globe

YouTube - SCOTLAND THE BRAVE

YouTube - Piper Bill Millin

YouTube - R.I.P PIPER BILL MILLIN

Old 08-22-2010, 04:55 PM

764 posts, read 1,422,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginachadli View Post
Well i used to be in a womens circle where worked w/healing energies using crystals, reflexology, essential oils, vizualizations etc- we also danced, drummed and said prayers for healing. After we closed the circle we then shared food and drink.
I would love to find something like this around here.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:47 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,280,448 times
Default June: Just Stopping By....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
And we still have a sense of humor...
June is glad that you still have a "sense of humor" given the fact that "the gods" spoke to me today (yikes!) and told me to send you the following message:

"STAY OFF THE ROOF!!!"

(Sorry...Just couldn't resist!)....

Old 08-23-2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June is glad that you still have a "sense of humor" given the fact that "the gods" spoke to me today (yikes!) and told me to send you the following message:

"STAY OFF THE ROOF!!!"

(Sorry...Just couldn't resist!)....
A sense of humor or of wry irony?

People have always sought high places, June........Moses went to the mountain to talk to God, Jesus went into the high places in the wilderness to talk to the father. Mohamed went to the mountain. Unfortunately today, in our landscape of roof top mountains and asphalt valleys, the roof is the only place you can go where you will not encounter the idle chatter and constant noise that prevents us from hearing from the creator. And to look over the rooftops and to examine the quiet of the neighborhood on a night of a Comanche moon (like last night where the light was so brilliant that you could see as well as if it were daylight).......and you get past the streetlights that prevent night from ever falling......you can see the cottontail, or the owl, and you can feel the breeze gently blowing.......at times like that you know that God exists, you can feel his presence, and you find joy in knowing that for a brief moment in time the rooftop is exactly where you should be, despite the tribulations awaiting you when you descend and reengage the world..............

Old 08-23-2010, 12:45 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,118,036 times
On my place there is a high cliff where you can see for miles that I call the top of the world. Sometimes I climb up there just to sit and look. It feels so peaceful and powerful there and I always come back with a feeling of awe. I have to do it in the daytime, though, because I am in no hurry to experience a broken neck.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:54 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,514,366 times
I have been away far too long. Glad for the chance to be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
However, I have a feeling I'd actually be shaking in my boots, pee myself, and start crying. But I can imagine that I'm a great warrior!
When all is going to Hell around you, and people are actively trying to kill you, only the stupid or insane have no fear. Great warriors are those who continue in spite of the fear (and related symptoms).

For what its worth...

Last edited by Nighteyes; 08-23-2010 at 01:08 PM..

Old 08-23-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Women have such a depth of strength that most men cannot comprehend.........
Aho...

Old 08-23-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Does this face say mischievous or what?
My father was never one to say very much. But when his eyes started twinkling, you just KNEW he was going to come out with a doozey -- and he always did!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality