Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2011, 02:29 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,787,012 times

Advertisements

Divine Femininity: Maybe God's a Woman Too - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 03:25 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,093,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
I do not believe God(swt) has any gender. What is interesting is the Aramaic word in the Lord's Prayer that was translted to Father is abwun pronounced Avoon and translates more correctly to Father/Mother, Neither male nor female but beyond the attributes of both.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:29 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,787,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I do not believe God(swt) has any gender. What is interesting is the Aramaic word in the Lord's Prayer that was translted to Father is abwun pronounced Avoon and translates more correctly to Father/Mother, Neither male nor female but beyond the attributes of both.
Beautiful

Old 11-05-2011, 05:03 PM

8 posts, read 7,359 times
Quote:
I concur! Tis beautiful

Madison

Old 11-05-2011, 05:32 PM

Although I am not Christian and generally disagree with Christian prayers I find beauty in the Lord's Prayer as it was originaly said in Aramaic.

Quote:
Abwûn

"Father/Mother--Mother/Father"

d'bwaschmâja

Who fills all realms of sound, light and vibration.

Nethkâdasch schmach

May Your light be experienced in my utmost holiest.

Têtê malkuthach.

Your rule/law approaches.

Nehwê tzevjânach aikâna d'bwaschmâja af b'arha.

Let Your will come true - in the universe (all that vibrates)

Just as on earth (that is material and dense).

Hawvlân lachma d'sûnkanân jaomâna.

Give us wisdom (understanding, assistance) for our daily need,

Waschboklân chaubên wachtahên aikâna

Daf chnân schwoken l'chaijabên.

Remove all that prisons us.

Like we let go the guilt of others.

Wela tachlân l'nesjuna

Let us not be lost in superficial things (materialism, common temptations),

Ela patzân min bischa.

But let us be freed from that what keeps us off from our true purpose.

Metol dilachie malkutha wahaila wateschbuchta l'ahlâm almîn.

From You comes the all-working will, the lively strength to act,

The song that beautifies all and renews itself from age to age.

Amên.

Sealed in trust, faith and truth.

(I confirm with my entire being)

Old 11-05-2011, 07:19 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Woodrow, let me present you with the Lord's Prayer in both the Tsalagi and Navajo language and translations.

THE LORD'S PRAYER IN CHEROKEE - YouTube,

The Lord's Prayer (in the Navajo Language) - YouTube

Old 11-06-2011, 03:21 AM

Thank You Ptsum,

I find the NA languages to be very beautiful and very expressive. The old languages touch on feelings more than the modern languages. As for the North American tribes the Navajo and Tsalagi are probably as far apart as exists, but still have sound that are natural and not artificial sounding like the newer European/English languages. A language says a lot about how a people think. The older languages hold a closer connection with the flow of life. As I could not be Muslim without Arabic, it would be difficult if not impossible for you to be you without Tsalagi. Conquerers have almost always sought to destroy the language of the people they conqured, as that makes the old way impossible to understand.

It is a thought to ponder as Aramaic the Language of Jesus(as) is now nearly gone except for 1 or 2 small groups of people. I doubt if the Christians of today can think as Jesus(as) actually taught as they no longer have the language.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:15 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
An email today:Tune in to watch all the dancing and singing live.
http://video.powwows.com
Thanks for this, was fun to watch!!!

Old 11-07-2011, 02:21 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,514,366 times
Quote:
A language says a lot about how a people think.

[<snip!>]

It is a thought to ponder as Aramaic the Language of Jesus(as) is now nearly gone except for 1 or 2 small groups of people. I doubt if the Christians of today can think as Jesus(as) actually taught as they no longer have the language.
An excellent point. By learning another's language, one gains considerable insight into how they think, and reason.

For example, in Choctaw there is no word for "they" (concept is far too vague), but there are four words each for "brother" and "sister". These eight words convey specific information; the person's gender (male or female), whether they are genetically related to the speaker (yes/no), and whether they are younger or older than the speaker.

What does this convey about the way Choctaws think and reason?

Regards,

-- Nighteyes

P.S: Now I'm on a roll, so fasten your seatbelts. In English we would say "a big green tree" or "a big green monster". In other words, we speak (or write) the most important word LAST. Should one be concerned about a big green TREE? Probably not. How about a big green MONSTER? Most likely. In Spanish and many other languages (including Choctaw) it is said and written as "a monster, big and green" ("un monstruo grande y verde"), which, because it places the critical word up front, seems to be a good bit more helpful.

But that's just me, an old Alabama country boy (who has never run from a big green TREE in his life... )

-- Nighteyes

Last edited by Nighteyes; 11-07-2011 at 02:59 PM..

Old 11-07-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
An excellent point. By learning another's language, one gains considerable insight into how they think, and reason.

For example, in Choctaw there is no word for "they" (concept is far too vague), but there are four words each for "brother" and "sister". These eight words convey specific information; the person's gender (male or female), whether they are genetically related to the speaker (yes/no), and whether they are younger or older than the speaker.

What does this convey about the way Choctaws think and reason?

Regards,

-- Nighteyes
I see they highly value family ties and a love for people that extends to there is no generalization of humans. Each person is seen as a specific person and not a He, She, They, them etc.

This tells me that people are more important than property and respect of others is expected.

Just a few thoughts that instantly come to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality