Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2011, 11:25 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,093,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionsAngel View Post
Peace friends. I came here in peace. Sometimes I do not feel like I belong, when everyone seems to speak of the ill nature of the white man/ woman. I was not aware of the particulars to which we Ulster whites came to America. I did not know all the details of how the Revolution went on well beyond 1781. I was always proud to place my hand over my heart and speak the pleadge of alligence, thought I lived in a free country that by now all cultures are getting along and treating each other as equal. I really didnt know how things really went, and now that I am discovering it, it makes me feel lost and without a home, a place to belong. When will we be allowed to live without being pushed out and held accountable for things we had nothing to do with? That question will never have a good answer. I have to accept that I know very little truth about history, and I am sorry I brought any of that subject to the circle, but it was a burden I could not bear alone. The past is very painful, all I can do is my best to make the present a better place to be. I have soooo much love in my heart, and respect for even those who put me down, for they probably do not even know me.
Today and tomarrow, I will be in the circle, praying for peace and better understanding, and reflecting the 9/11 tragedy and give hugs to those who need one. I am so sorry for your losses and heartaches, and I admire the rebuilding and spirit of brotherly love.
I discovered an amazing thing about all people. They are all Human Beings. tolerance begins with understanding each Human is unique and as such only represents themselves and not any group.

You will find people in any group that understand it, and as such hold no feelings against us as individuals for what our ancestors did.

Many First Nation people of the Americas do walk the Red Path and are part of it. Those of us, who are of another life style, can enjoy the Red Path, but it is essential to understand we can not be part of it. A non-Indian can not understand what it is to be Indian. We can only enjoy the effect of it provided we understand we are guests on the Red Path and we do keep the attitude we do not want to be part of it and can not be. We do not want to be anything except our selves and we respect the right for all people to be themselves. When we walk alongside our friends on the Red Path, we need to let them be the guides and let them know it is not our need or desire to take control.

That goes for people of all cultures when they want to see and enjoy the culture of another people. We do not need to understand nor criticize, to walk with friends and share what we mutually enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 10:27 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Quote:
Peace friends. I came here in peace. Sometimes I do not feel like I belong, when everyone seems to speak of the ill nature of the white man/ woman. I was not aware of the particulars to which we Ulster whites came to America. I did not know all the details of how the Revolution went on well beyond 1781. I was always proud to place my hand over my heart and speak the pleadge of alligence, thought I lived in a free country that by now all cultures are getting along and treating each other as equal. I really didnt know how things really went, and now that I am discovering it, it makes me feel lost and without a home, a place to belong. When will we be allowed to live without being pushed out and held accountable for things we had nothing to do with? That question will never have a good answer. I have to accept that I know very little truth about history, and I am sorry I brought any of that subject to the circle, but it was a burden I could not bear alone. The past is very painful, all I can do is my best to make the present a better place to be. I have soooo much love in my heart, and respect for even those who put me down, for they probably do not even know me.
Today and tomarrow, I will be in the circle, praying for peace and better understanding, and reflecting the 9/11 tragedy and give hugs to those who need one. I am so sorry for your losses and heartaches, and I admire the rebuilding and spirit of brotherly love.

OrionsAngel, don't ever feel like you you don't belong among us and it is not up to you to take on the wrongs that were done in the past. Your ancestors, my ancestors, and everybody's ancestors have done things that were not always right, but you must understand, at the time they thought they were doing what they thought was right, they were doing only what they knew how to do and with what information they were given at the time, so don't fault them for that, the only thing that we can do is to remember and learn and pass what we have learned to future generations so that those wrongs are not repeated. You've been on a long journey of discovery and have learned much, now pass that knowledge on to the next generations.osay

Old 09-12-2011, 01:23 PM

659 posts, read 1,102,588 times
Quote:
Your ancestors (mine too, probably) did some messed up things. Recognize it, understand that what's done is done, and help clean up the mess today as best you can. Like Mother Jones said, "pray for the dead and fight like hell for the living."

It sounds like you could use some friendly guidance from the Slapping Medicine Man:

Slapping Medicine Man, a 1491s film - YouTube

Old 09-12-2011, 05:59 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,514,366 times
Quote:
Peace friends. I came here in peace. Sometimes I do not feel like I belong, when everyone seems to speak of the ill nature of the white man/ woman. I was not aware of the particulars to which we Ulster whites came to America.
OrionsAngel,

I have several things to say.

First, if I have ever written anything that even suggests I think you do not belong here, please accept my sincere apology. That has never been my intent.

Second, I am also -- at least partly -- of the "Ulster Whites." One-quarter of my family tree has roots in County Fermanagh, which as you probably know is in Ulster Province. They were moved there from Scotland by the English, btw. County Fermanagh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Third, many NDN peoples (and particularly mine) especially respect and love those who immigrated to the New World from Ireland and Scotland. Why else, do you suppose, are there so many Irish and Scottish surnames on the Dawes and other rolls? (For that matter, how might I otherwise have even come into existence? )

Fourth, and most important, is this: No one should expect you (or anyone) to be responsible for, and to atone for, the deeds of people you never even met, especially since they all died before you were even born. ptsum certainly doesn't, I don't, and I don't think that anyone else here does either.

Finally, in my personal opinion, this goes far beyond the scope of this thread and topic area. We should all be known and respected for who we are NOW, and how we think, believe and behave NOW.

I, personally, see you for who you are and how you behave, and I welcome you here.

Regards,

-- Nighteyes

Old 09-12-2011, 07:16 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiippaKiwi View Post
Hi OrionsAngel ... Double standards... Have you ever read a place called indianz.com? If you havent, please, do a favor yourself and read that forum. After that you hopefully know that there is no reason to respect people who put you down.
HA....that place is a snake pit for the most part. I used to participate over there (used the screen name Kerchee, which is my family's surname name BTW), but it just got way over the top. Got tired of the bickering and all that. Some of the folks there are friends that I know personally (WanderingNative is a good friend of mine - we're both Comanche tribal members), but it could get real mean there. I even found myself getting caught up in some of it, so I quit going there a couple of years ago

Orion's Angel, no need to feel that way. I can understand why you might feel the way you do, but know that the folks here don't see you in a bad way. We are taught to watch the individual and see what their actions say about them. Though we can get caught up in generalizing, even a more nationalistic NDN like me still strives to see people as individuals as I was taught. FWIW, I married a white woman and she is the finest person I've ever known.

You are welcome here.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:49 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
HA....that place is a snake pit for the most part. I used to participate over there (used the screen name Kerchee, which is my family's surname name BTW), but it just got way over the top. Got tired of the bickering and all that. Some of the folks there are friends that I know personally (WanderingNative is a good friend of mine - we're both Comanche tribal members), but it could get real mean there. I even found myself getting caught up in some of it, so I quit going there a couple of years ago
And that is exactly why it is a good place to read Cannot feel bad after that but only laugh... I laughed days after checking that place.. And that was before staff edited "some" pics out. I had to googled Kerchee, nice sign "Some people are like slinkies, They don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs" . I just wanted to say to OrionsAngel that some people who talk to us, are not worth to listen.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:24 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiippaKiwi View Post
I had to googled Kerchee, nice sign "Some people are like slinkies, They don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs" .
Yeah, I've always liked that saying.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:35 AM

444 posts, read 1,212,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
OrionsAngel, don't ever feel like you you don't belong among us and it is not up to you to take on the wrongs that were done in the past. Your ancestors, my ancestors, and everybody's ancestors have done things that were not always right, but you must understand, at the time they thought they were doing what they thought was right, they were doing only what they knew how to do and with what information they were given at the time, so don't fault them for that, the only thing that we can do is to remember and learn and pass what we have learned to future generations so that those wrongs are not repeated. You've been on a long journey of discovery and have learned much, now pass that knowledge on to the next generations.osay
Thank you for your wisdom and kindness, and patience. I have to tell you though that ,what if everyone in the world believes something that was as far from real truth as it could be and by design from the enemy, the reputation of the innocent was tarnished by it, will the light of valor and honor ever shine again unto those condemned by the enemy of freedom? Should I not stand up to vindicate their innocents? I think I am going through all this because I need to look to the past to see how to navigate the future, to avoid the problems of today repeating themselves, to figure out what to say to my kids on what to save in life and what to cast away.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavemaster View Post
Your ancestors (mine too, probably) did some messed up things. Recognize it, understand that what's done is done, and help clean up the mess today as best you can. Like Mother Jones said, "pray for the dead and fight like hell for the living."

It sounds like you could use some friendly guidance from the Slapping Medicine Man:

Slapping Medicine Man, a 1491s film - YouTube
Thanks for the advice. I cant go see the video, cause this stupid computer wont upgrade me to Flashplayer 10 and it is not my own computer so I cant do it manually without fear I will crash this thing, but I will go to another computer and watch this

Old 09-13-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
OrionsAngel,

I have several things to say.

First, if I have ever written anything that even suggests I think you do not belong here, please accept my sincere apology. That has never been my intent.

Second, I am also -- at least partly -- of the "Ulster Whites." One-quarter of my family tree has roots in County Fermanagh, which as you probably know is in Ulster Province. They were moved there from Scotland by the English, btw. County Fermanagh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Third, many NDN peoples (and particularly mine) especially respect and love those who immigrated to the New World from Ireland and Scotland. Why else, do you suppose, are there so many Irish and Scottish surnames on the Dawes and other rolls? (For that matter, how might I otherwise have even come into existence? )

Fourth, and most important, is this: No one should expect you (or anyone) to be responsible for, and to atone for, the deeds of people you never even met, especially since they all died before you were even born. ptsum certainly doesn't, I don't, and I don't think that anyone else here does either.

Finally, in my personal opinion, this goes far beyond the scope of this thread and topic area. We should all be known and respected for who we are NOW, and how we think, believe and behave NOW.

I, personally, see you for who you are and how you behave, and I welcome you here.

Regards,

-- Nighteyes
Oh my friend Nighteyes, I have not felt any insult from you, only encouragement and thank you for acknowledging the Scots! I am DNA Haplogroup tested to Gaelic Scots blood, it stands as a culture of it's own, and "is as"the last of the Mohekans stood, proud and obviously self defensive.
We have survived thus far, we shall survive the future
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality