Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2011, 10:07 PM

63,846 posts, read 40,128,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I LOVED the Shadow............Alec Baldwin just didn't do him justice, although I can't think of anyone better.............

Mystic, I cannot rep you for a while but I want you to know that I do enjoy your writing and thinking. I don't always agree with you (mostly I do), but I enjoy the way you present yourself. Thank you for being here.
Thank you GP. I enjoy the circle . . . a beautiful vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 11:32 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,657,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Well, as of yesterday there is another generation within my family, I am now a great grandfather...
That's so nice ptsum! Congrats!

Ya know...reading these recent posts makes me realize where you people get all that wisdom from. Nothing compares to life experience as a teacher.

This youngster (I'm only 55) has found you all to be a great source of knowledge and wisdom...and a catalyst to reflect upon my own mindset, concepts, and viewpoints. Thanx.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:24 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,514,366 times
Quote:
Ahhh yes, those were the days, waiting for the tubes to warm up and listening to the Inner Sanctum and it's squeaky door, The Lone Ranger with the voice of William Conrad, Amos and Andy, and Walter Winchell with all the news that was the news...... Yap I remember them....
"The voice of William Conrad" played a LOT of roles in those radio dramas, including Matt Dillon in Gunsmoke. It, and the television show of the same name, were my father's favorites. His second-favorite radio show was The Great Gildersleeve which, believe it or not, may have been the first-ever spin-off from another program (Fibber McGee & Molly).

And by the way, folks, you don't have to just remember them. You can enjoy them all again, and again, and... The old radio shows have long since passed into the public domain, and are available as free downloads from this site: Old Time Radio : Free Audio : Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Living in SoCal as I do, I have to spend a lot of time in my Explorer. I put a couple of hundred old radio shows into my MP3 player. I tend to like the mystery and drama programs like The Green Hornet, Escape, Gunsmoke, Suspense, The Inner Sanctum, and what-have-you. I have a few Great Gildersleeve episodes on there too, to ease the suspense and tension a bit.

[By the way, ptsum, congrats on being a great-grandfather!!!]

Old 08-17-2011, 12:44 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
My grandson informed me today that my great grandson's name is Ayvian (have no idea where the name came from) and weighs 9 pounds 1 ounce and is 21 1/2 inches long, right decent size little fella....... and that he is doing well....

Old 08-17-2011, 12:56 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,093,918 times
Quote:
My grandson informed me today that my great grandson's name is Ayvian (have no idea where the name came from) and weighs 9 pounds 1 ounce and is 21 1/2 inches long, right decent size little fella....... and that he is doing well....
Interesting name. If it has a Latin root it seems like it relates to birds, most likely Eagles or Owls. I believe it is a good and fitting name. I'll try to find more about it.

Found it, it comes from the name of a warrior in World of Warcraft.

I suspect a Latin root relating to eagles. Some Latin names for Eagles are Aquilla, Aigle, Aille, Aisgle, Aygle, Égle

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 08-17-2011 at 01:12 PM..

Old 08-17-2011, 02:12 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,514,366 times
I looked too, ptsum. If his name is pronounced A-vee-an there are several possible sources.

1. Avian = bird

2. Avian = an American Metal band

3. Avian (or Aviano) = a city in Italy

4. Avian (International) = a major corporation based in Hungary

Though not a gambling man, my "bet" is on meanings one or two.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:18 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Interesting name. If it has a Latin root it seems like it relates to birds, most likely Eagles or Owls. I believe it is a good and fitting name. I'll try to find more about it.

Found it, it comes from the name of a warrior in World of Warcraft.

I suspect a Latin root relating to eagles. Some Latin names for Eagles are Aquilla, Aigle, Aille, Aisgle, Aygle, Égle

I liked the idea of an eagle warrior, gives him something to live up to. My Tsalagi name is Guh nah gay Tah woe dee, which means Black Hawk, both are sacred birds and spirits. Think I'll call him Little Feather until he gets older....

Old 08-17-2011, 03:27 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,093,918 times
Quote:
I liked the idea of an eagle warrior, gives him something to live up to. My Tsalagi name is Guh nah gay Tah woe dee, which means Black Hawk, both are sacred birds and spirits. Think I'll call him Little Feather until he gets older....
Very good, little feather sounds very appropriate. Good name for a growing Eagle Warrior

Old 08-17-2011, 08:15 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times
Quote:
.......... Think I'll call him Little Feather until he gets older....
Reminds me of the old joke about a young ndn asking his father how he got his name. His father says when his older brother was born he stepped out to greet the sunrise and saw a deer running so he named his son running deer, when his sister was born he heard a cardinal singing, so he named her singing bird. He then turns to his son and asks "Why do you ask, Two Dogs F*****g"

Old 08-23-2011, 09:04 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times
I do hope no one we know was on the roof as the east coast got shook up a bit today...............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality