Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 11:07 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,514,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Being grandpa is fun, and a worthwhile job..........
I wholeheartedly agree, and add that one can be grandparent to almost any child, regardless of blood relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 09:27 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times
I don't know if I talked about this before here, but.......

My former wife adopted my daughters children. Their father had been less than desirable, her current husband is not only really dumb (seriously, he is one of the least intelligent people I have ever known), but he is lazy. At 29 years old he has never held a job more than a few weeks making the family sacrifice milk, food, and clothes despite his consistent ability to buy cigarettes. The state of their residence took the kids, the Cherokee Nation got involved, and my former wife, thankfully, has obtained custody of them. She and her husband are fairly well to do, both are retired....her husband is on medical retirement, she took early retirement as a school teacher. They have a large house which is good, because my son and his wife and three children live there as well. Having three incomes (two retirement and one working) is handy for them all, as is having several adults keeping track of the half dozen kids.

One of the things I get to do as a grandpa is spoil the kids. For several years now I couldn't......anything I get them that has value would end up at the pawn shop, courtesy of their step-father. I talked it over with my ex and her husband that when I get them things that they would keep them. I want them to develop the concept of taking care of stuff......when "dad" is going to sell it next time he is out of smoke doesn't lend itself to care and maintenance. A few weeks ago I showed up at their house with bicycles. None of them knew how to ride that good. Last night I went over (I had been in the farming part of the state a few days ago and got them a yellow meat water melon) to drop off some stuff and visit with my newest grandson when I got "cornered" by my seven year old grandson. He insisted I watch him ride his bike, standing on the axle pegs and doing "tricks." That was so very much fun watching him bloom into a real boy......brought tears to my eyes.

Nighteyes is right. You do not have to be blood related to be a grandpa/ma. There are children out there that need us old farts in their lives. If you have the time, if you have the ability, pass on some of your wisdom and time.......it makes the troubles of your own life seem to disappear.

This weekend is labor day weekend.........I am thinking a fishing pole is in the kids near future...........

Old 08-31-2010, 09:36 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,216,172 times
Quote:
I don't know if I talked about this before here, but.......

My former wife adopted my daughters children. Their father had been less than desirable, her current husband is not only really dumb (seriously, he is one of the least intelligent people I have ever known), but he is lazy. At 29 years old he has never held a job more than a few weeks making the family sacrifice milk, food, and clothes despite his consistent ability to buy cigarettes. The state of their residence took the kids, the Cherokee Nation got involved, and my former wife, thankfully, has obtained custody of them. She and her husband are fairly well to do, both are retired....her husband is on medical retirement, she took early retirement as a school teacher. They have a large house which is good, because my son and his wife and three children live there as well. Having three incomes (two retirement and one working) is handy for them all, as is having several adults keeping track of the half dozen kids.

One of the things I get to do as a grandpa is spoil the kids. For several years now I couldn't......anything I get them that has value would end up at the pawn shop, courtesy of their step-father. I talked it over with my ex and her husband that when I get them things that they would keep them. I want them to develop the concept of taking care of stuff......when "dad" is going to sell it next time he is out of smoke doesn't lend itself to care and maintenance. A few weeks ago I showed up at their house with bicycles. None of them knew how to ride that good. Last night I went over (I had been in the farming part of the state a few days ago and got them a yellow meat water melon) to drop off some stuff and visit with my newest grandson when I got "cornered" by my seven year old grandson. He insisted I watch him ride his bike, standing on the axle pegs and doing "tricks." That was so very much fun watching him bloom into a real boy......brought tears to my eyes.

Nighteyes is right. You do not have to be blood related to be a grandpa/ma. There are children out there that need us old farts in their lives. If you have the time, if you have the ability, pass on some of your wisdom and time.......it makes the troubles of your own life seem to disappear.

This weekend is labor day weekend.........I am thinking a fishing pole is in the kids near future...........
Hmmm...you don't sound like an "old fart" at all to me Goodpasture...you sound like the best grandpa in the whole wide world!!

Old 08-31-2010, 12:05 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Hmmm...you don't sound like an "old fart" at all to me Goodpasture...you sound like the best grandpa in the whole wide world!!
You have to look at it from their eyes.......to a seven year old, 28 is pretty old and worn out..............my 10 year old granddaughter is amazed that I remember when Jack Kennedy was shot, just like I was entranced when I would hear my grandfather speak of the day Pearl Harbor was bombed.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:49 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,118,036 times
Ah, yes, but that seven year old will grow up and remember what you taught her/him, told her/him, showed her/him and realize that the old fart was a pretty smart guy after all. Most of all that seven year old will be gratefull that you cared enough to spend time with her.
Dewdrop, I haven't been on in awhile due to technical difficulties ( computer fried itself) but anyhow, sending hugs and good thoughts your way.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:48 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,196,822 times
Quote:
You have to look at it from their eyes.......to a seven year old, 28 is pretty old and worn out..............my 10 year old granddaughter is amazed that I remember when Jack Kennedy was shot, just like I was entranced when I would hear my grandfather speak of the day Pearl Harbor was bombed.
I can remember talking to my grandfather back in the 1970s and being amazed that he remembered World War One and the Kaiser (Wilhelm II)! The beat goes on...

Old 08-31-2010, 02:08 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Here's one of the stories that I remember my grandfather telling me, when I was but a small child, about how the rabbit got his short tail......
YouTube - Native American Storyteller richheape.com - Tales of Wonder2

Old 08-31-2010, 02:10 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,514,366 times
Quote:
Aiokpanchi (a heartfelt and sincere thanks), Goodpasture. Here's why I said what I did.

My son and his wife cannot have children of their own. After much discussion and thought, they became foster parents in the LA County system, specializing in newborns. Their long-term goal was to identify children they wanted to adopt, but in the meantime they wanted to offer as much as they could to children who sorely needed it.

To my two wonderful grandchildren (both of whom are adopted as a result of the above) I am known as Poppo, a term of endearment that I truly love. However, the name was bestowed on me by the very first foster child who came into my son's family, a little blonde girl who suffered from Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and resulting behavioral disorders. At the age of five, her eyes were already "old" (if you know what I mean), and my heart took her right in. She was part of my son's family for two years, until the case worker finally found a biological relative who agreed to take her. She seemed to "take to" me in particular, and I did my best for her. Not a week goes by that I don't think about her.

There were at least a dozen others, each with his or her own story, and each with his or her own challenge and misery. One, a tiny little newborn girl with red hair and startling blue eyes, came into this world already addicted to crack cocaine. Another, a rather hefty newborn boy, had a drug-related syndrome that caused him constant discomfort (and I'm deliberately understating it). With each, my wife and I did our best to be good grandparents.

I am proud to be known as Poppo. Each time my grandchildren call me by that name I am grateful that they have come into my life. I also find myself thinking of the little girl who first gave that name to me, and of all the children who have known me by that name. I wonder where they are, what they are doing, and whether they remain healthy and happy.

You know something? A heart is a funny old thing -- the more of it you give away, the bigger it seems to become.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:36 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Grandparents and grandchildren have a special bond and it makes no difference whether they're of the same bloodline or not, among many native tribes grandparents are the elders of the tribe and all elders are grandparents, they were the teachers and storytellers and keepers of the wisdom and legends and would pass those legends and wisdom onto the grandchildren, I am proud to be a grandparent and I am proud of all of my grandchildren and I enjoyed them immensely, they keep me young...

Old 08-31-2010, 04:01 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Grandparents and grandchildren have a special bond and it makes no difference whether they're of the same bloodline or not, among many native tribes grandparents are the elders of the tribe and all elders are grandparents, they were the teachers and storytellers and keepers of the wisdom and legends and would pass those legends and wisdom onto the grandchildren, I am proud to be a grandparent and I am proud of all of my grandchildren and I enjoyed them immensely, they keep me young...
It has always been odd to me the number of people who don't understand the concept of having family that you are not biologically related to. Many is the time I've had to explain to non-natives how "real" these relationships are in native cultures....of how when we say grandpa, grandson, daughter, brother or niece that we mean it and it's not just some term of affection. How sad it must be to not know the joy have having more grandparents, uncles and aunts, and brothers and sisters than you know what to do with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality