Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 10:34 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,041,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Because employers are not willing to invite someone for an interview if they are not local to the area. It's tough. But if I moved there first, then I would have an AZ address, and they would take me more seriously and maybe care to interview me. From my experience, I never hear back from job applications that are farther than 2 hours away from my current address.
Yup. I've had the same problem in SoCal. I land phone interview after phone interview, then they learn I'm in MD and say call us when you get to CA and quickly rush off the phone.

In the next few weeks, I'll be on a plane to CA without a job lined up. I have no debt and since I've planned this move for a long time, I have enough saved (not including investments, etc) to live on for well over a year (if not longer) while I look for a job.

Only you know your financial situation and level of risk you're comfortable with. If you have the means to live on while looking for a job, aren't digging your financial grave by doing so, and aren't putting a burden on anyone else (like having kids that will have to go without insurance while you look for work), I say go for it.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:46 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,041,372 times
Quote:
I am a 28-year old single, gay male who has become extremely depressed living in the Hartford, CT area for 26 years of my life. My lease ends next month and I have been contemplating for four years now about moving out of state again. I lived in NYC for 2 yrs after college. I have a master's degree in accounting with 5 yrs of experience in taxation.

My plan would be to allow my lease to terminate on Oct 31 here and give my 2-week notice on Monday, so that my last day of work is Oct 12. Then, I would hire a moving truck company to transport all of my furniture and belongings (one large truck should be enough) from here to Phoenix and drop it all off in storage. In the meantime, I would drive myself down there and stay in hotels for about a week, until I find a nice apartment to rent, for under $1,100. If the property manager won't rent to me without seeing proof of employment, I will offer to pay the entire lease term in cash up front (I have about $26K saved up). Then, once the apartment is secured, I will move my belongings from the storage depot into the apartment and start living like a normal person. Then, I will begin looking for a job that pays at least $62K and once I land a job I'll be all set and settled!

What do you think of this plan? Is it too risky? Is it doable? I have visited the Scottsdale area once, five years ago, for four days. I loved the PHX area in general. Thought it was beautiful and I love the heat. I have been searching for jobs online lately, and unfortunately it doesn't seem like there are any, if at all, jobs in my field, at my experience level, which is shocking for a huge metro area.

Thoughts?
Just read your original post. If it were me, I wouldn't lock into a lease until you have a job. Would renting a room in someone's house be an option you'd consider, until you land a job? In this economy, I'd also be very flexible on jobs and pay.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:12 AM

701 posts, read 1,099,210 times
UHaul also has a product called UBox, where you pack your stuff in a container, then they move it and store it for you. That's how I got here. You might look into that, because at least you won't have to deal with the trailer hitch, not to mention the reduced gas mileage during the drive from pulling a trailer.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:28 PM

890 posts, read 2,285,756 times
Quote:
That's good to hear. New England is certainly not known for friendly people!

I've been doing the math and financials with regard to planning out this move, and it's actually quite frightening. Even though I will have $26K at my disposal, it appears that I will be left with only about $15K by the time I actually find a job in Phoenix. I just realized that I have a $600 auto insurance payment due in Nov (6 month premium), plus, the cost of installing a hitch on my car and renting a UHAUL trailer, the cost of gas, food, hotels, tolls, etc, during the week that it will take me to travel down there. Then, once I get there, I will need to move my stuff into storage, which costs money, and basically live in a hotel for up to 2 weeks, so that I have time to look for an apartment and move into one by around Dec 1. Then, it will cost even more money to rent another UHAUL trailer to move my stuff into the new apartment -- not to mention, finding someone to help me move a few heavier items (if I can fit my full-sized bed in there). Then, it will probably be challenging to be accepted into an apt complex, since they want to see proof of employment. How the hell am I going to get around that? Will they accept an offer from me to pay like 2 or 3 months in advance? Then, I will have to spend more money on repurchasing things that I had to give away or sell off before making the move. And of course, all the living expenses I must incur while finding a job, which could take some time, especially in this economy. When all of that is taken into account, I will be left with around $15K, which is awful IMO. I was hoping to be left with at least $20K by the time I secure employment.

Another option, is to live with my cousin in Albuquerque for free, until I find a place and a job in PHX. But it's a 5-6 hour drive, so I'm not sure recruiters or employers would still take me seriously and want to interview me. It doesn't seem close enough.

Any ideas on how I can make this work?! I'm determined, but also realistic. I also have another $14K available in stocks, if I sell them, but I prefer not to touch them.
If I were you I would be looking into renting a furnished room and selling anything you can't fit in your car. When I first came out here it was for college; I filled my car with my clothes, TV, and some personal items, then took a two week road trip out here. It was so much more enjoyable than packing a UHaul and spending a ridiculous amount of money on moving things that are replaceable. My only expenses were for gas, food, and some sightseeing (Omaha zoo, Willis Tower, things like that). We camped most nights for a minimal fee as it was only August, slept in the car a few nights as well (I can sleep anywhere ) I think it was under $2000, and I even bought most of my brother's food with that total. I lived on campus the first year, so I didn't have to worry about trying to rent a place without a job, or running around trying to buy furniture. If you could find a furnished room (or even unfurnished in a furnished house, you would only need to buy a bed when you get here) you probably won't need to worry about employment requirements, plus you won't be spending as much money on rent.

As far as a hotel when you get here, I lived in a motel for about 6 months last year and paid by the week, it was only about $200/week, and I had a little kitchenette and dining table. It wasn't the most luxurious but it was clean and not seedy. There are a lot of smaller places that will do extended arrangements like that, which will give you time to locate a room for rent. If you stay at the bigger hotels, it will be nicer but much more expensive.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:58 PM

211 posts, read 545,103 times
If u look on homeaway.com you might be able to rent a condo for a month at a good deal..

Old 10-04-2012, 06:01 PM

339 posts, read 935,469 times
Have you thought about maybe shipping your car from CT to AZ? Might take a little stress out of your potential move.

I've thought about it myself (NY to AZ) just for the sheer fact I'm not sure I want to drive cross country with a cat for 5-6 days...

I've never shipped a car myself though.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:02 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,097,625 times
I personally think you are afraid. And everyone knows what fear can do to you. Makes you miss out on life.

So, why don't you plan a vacation out here to look around and try to quell some of these fears in your mind. While you are here, if you like what you see, then rent an apt so you have an address to go to when you come. Make it an apt with a storage locker, so you can use it temporarily. Ask for a short term lease. Then go home and make the trip back in your car with your stuff. At least you will have a place to call home right away. JMHO

Old 10-04-2012, 07:24 PM

683 posts, read 2,655,207 times
I think the pioneers had fewer worries when they came west in covered wagons.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:04 PM

11,669 posts, read 18,000,776 times
I looked into the idea of U-Box pods, and it would cost nearly $2,000 to do that. However, that's probably the easiest way to have everything transported directly into storage. The hitch and trailer idea would cost $800, but then I would have to repurchase up to $1,500 worth of stuff. So that would be well over $2,300 overall. And the U-Box seems very convenient and could possibly fit almost everything I own. Plus, I could drive down there in my car, stress-free without lugging a trailer around and having to deal with a storage depot right away.

Now, since an apartment complex probably won't rent to me without proof of employment, I will probably have to rent someone's condo or something like that, for a few months, until I find a job. Then, I can get a real apartment and move my stuff in there. I think that's the best way to handle this now.

If anyone has even better ideas let me know. Thanks again to the person who mentioned U-Box. That's a genius idea!

Old 10-05-2012, 05:22 AM

6 posts, read 27,152 times
Quote:
I looked into the idea of U-Box pods, and it would cost nearly $2,000 to do that. However, that's probably the easiest way to have everything transported directly into storage. The hitch and trailer idea would cost $800, but then I would have to repurchase up to $1,500 worth of stuff. So that would be well over $2,300 overall. And the U-Box seems very convenient and could possibly fit almost everything I own. Plus, I could drive down there in my car, stress-free without lugging a trailer around and having to deal with a storage depot right away.

Now, since an apartment complex probably won't rent to me without proof of employment, I will probably have to rent someone's condo or something like that, for a few months, until I find a job. Then, I can get a real apartment and move my stuff in there. I think that's the best way to handle this now.

If anyone has even better ideas let me know. Thanks again to the person who mentioned U-Box. That's a genius idea!
If you have good credit and maybe prepay for 6 month lease or put in a larger deposit, you might be able to get an apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area