Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 03:56 PM

131 posts, read 307,464 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at relocating this spring. We've been strongly interested in Tampa, FL, but we have started swaying toward perhaps San Francisco or Phoenix, AZ. Being from SC, I know absolutely nothing about the west coast. So my question to you is, why should I want to move to Phoenix?

Things that are important to us: sports teams to root for, lots of outdoor activities, water sports (kayaking, boating), museums, nice malls, shopping, historic areas, we want to live somewhere with character, nice people, preferably more liberal than conservative, I am 26 and my husband is 30 and we just want to live in nice modern housing within a city with lots to do.

Things that aren't important to us: school districts (not planning on having kids)

Any input would be great, and more than I know right now! lol

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 03:57 PM

203 posts, read 491,352 times
You should probably move to San Fran then

Old 09-20-2010, 04:14 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,685,213 times
We are very light on "historic" areas and culture, and if you're a liberal like myself, prepare to be baffled by the "conservative" mindset.

Government here is run by & for businesses and the sun-city (retired) crowd.

There isn't a drop of water here for recreation, but many apartment complexes have fountains you could play in if so inclined.

That said, the people are the same as anywhere else - you will get a few "hand signals" if you obey the speed limit when driving, which is a surprise - since we can carry our guns around anywhere without licenses or training.

Come on out and look around if you're serious...

You can get yourself a photo-radar ticket while you're here ...

Scottsdale's Photo Enforcement Tickets Lie About Consequences of Failing to Respond - Phoenix News - Valley Fever

check out the sights, and get a feel for the town...

Old 09-20-2010, 04:19 PM

Well jeez, so far ya'll aren't making me want to move there lol. Is there anything you DO like about Phoenix?

Old 09-20-2010, 04:30 PM

131 posts, read 439,814 times
You shouldn't! We have all spoken! Why in the world would someone looking for water want to come to a desert! As far as "character", yep, those rattlesnakes, scorpions, and tarantulas are real characters. Try SF. Now there's a bunch of "characters"!.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:33 PM

Well water isn't something I HAVE to have, I really just want to find out why you all live there and what you like about it. If you guys don't really like it then why do you live there? I'm confused lol.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:37 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
We are very light on "historic" areas and culture, and if you're a liberal like myself, prepare to be baffled by the "conservative" mindset.

Government here is run by & for businesses and the sun-city (retired) crowd.

There isn't a drop of water here for recreation, but many apartment complexes have fountains you could play in if so inclined.

That said, the people are the same as anywhere else - you will get a few "hand signals" if you obey the speed limit when driving, which is a surprise - since we can carry our guns around anywhere without licenses or training.

Come on out and look around if you're serious...

You can get yourself a photo-radar ticket while you're here ...

Scottsdale's Photo Enforcement Tickets Lie About Consequences of Failing to Respond - Phoenix News - Valley Fever

check out the sights, and get a feel for the town...
I guess we have no history and culture if your idea of history and culture is white guy European. The valley and AZ has been inhabited for centuries and the evidence of that is visible (and visitable) throughout the state.

As for water for recreation, I have no idea what you are talking about. There is water everywhere - large lakes east of town, small trout lakes and streams on the mountains, and pools, pools, and more pools everywhere.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:46 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmorgan7 View Post
Well water isn't something I HAVE to have, I really just want to find out why you all live there and what you like about it. If you guys don't really like it then why do you live there? I'm confused lol.
These posters either don't live here or are city slickers who have no idea about water recreation opportunities in the area. There is boating, water skiing, fishing, white water, kayaking, mountain streams, mountain lakes, huge lakes, large lakes, mile after mile of the Colorado River and even many subdivisions with ponds. And the best part of it all is virtually ALL of it is public land where you can camp on the shore or bank without a house in sight. I would not say to move here for the water by any means, but if you do move, you will find water and water recreation.

I think the area has just about all you were looking for except it is NOT liberal. It's libertarian - not really socially conservative, but anti-tax, anti-government, me-firsters.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:52 PM

570 posts, read 1,753,198 times
It's hot and has a lot of places to get drunk.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:56 PM

652 posts, read 2,711,899 times
I just moved to downtown Phoenix - it would be great to have a few more young active liberal people here :-D

As far as comparing this to San Francisco there isn't much of a comparison at all. San Francisco has a completely different climate, different vibe, and is far more expensive. Thus far I'm happy here and I think you could find a nice place in Phoenix where you'll be happy also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area