Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 05:33 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,979,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
I see about a dozen gila monsters every summer. If they bite you, they don't let go. Their poison is mixed in with their saliva and they grind it into you with their teeth. You have to go to the emergency room to have them removed. Most people don't die though. I've only had one of them chase me.

Our biggest problem right now is with black widows, they've taken over our garage and back porch. A few years ago we had the same problem with tarantulas. Last year it was the poisonous toads.
Omg. Can anyone chime in as to how much of a threat black widows are? What about the brown recluse spider? Tarantulas? Poisonous toads?? This stuff just scares me. Are these things a real concern?

Old 10-11-2012, 06:30 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Omg. Can anyone chime in as to how much of a threat black widows are? What about the brown recluse spider? Tarantulas? Poisonous toads?? This stuff just scares me. Are these things a real concern?

Stop. Just stop.

If the poster above in fact sees that many Gila monsters, he is a rare individual indeed. Black widow webs are very recognizable, they are messy and mostly found in corners outside. If you keep things clean and swept up (or your apartment management does) you won't see one. Brown recluse are not common in Arizona. You aren't going to encounter either spider out hiking, or in your apartment. Tarantulas aren't seen except in the desert and areas fairly close to it, and they are not going to run up to you and bite you. Don't stick your hand under rocks or into crevices you can't see into is a pretty good rule. The toads you are referring to have a toxin in their skin that is irritating to dogs that lick them. If you are not going to lick a toad, you have nothing to worry about.

I tend to agree with some of the other posters that your fears/concerns/questions are getting a bit over the top. It's a fair interpretation that you keep asking questions looking for an answer that will give you some excuse to not do this and stay close to family, even though you say you really dislike where you live now. Either make the move, or don't.

Last edited by observer53; 10-11-2012 at 07:04 PM..

Old 10-11-2012, 06:35 PM

63 posts, read 265,088 times
Quote:
Geez, nep, I'm beginning to think you are pulling our chains....

Old 10-11-2012, 07:36 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,604,341 times
Quote:
Well I don't want people to blow things out of proportion. I am still very much interested in the idea of moving there. With that said....I had one other question...

I noticed that a lot of people in this forum refer to highways as "freeways." And they also call numbered routes, "the 101." Now to me, that's just different/weird. I mean, can't I just say "101?" Like as in "take 101 to get to destination whatever." Or, "take the highway." Does everyone down there talk like that? I'm only familiar with words like highway, parkway, expressway and turnpike. There are NO freeways here in New England.

Also, I discussed my potential plans to move there with my mother a few nights ago. I was surprised that she supports me, even with having no job. She told me not to stress out about it and just follow my heart lol, as long as I don't completely deplete my savings. I told her that I'd aim to have $20,000 remaining, after I make the move and secure a job, which means I have $6,000 to play with. I then promised her that I'd visit about 3 times per year and stay at her house for a few days, each time. Sigh...I don't know.....
You can say whatever you want. You can call it Route 101 if you'd like. It's just the local lingo.. much like people in the north east say "highway" instead of "freeway" or "driving down the parkway or turnpike." You can't expect the rest of the US (or the world for that matter) to be like north east. The South west is very different that the north east in some aspects but that is what gives it its charm. Every place has its own charms....!

What type of answers are you hoping that people will give you? What do you want to hear, exactly?

Old 10-11-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf2737 View Post
Have you thought about maybe shipping your car from CT to AZ? Might take a little stress out of your potential move.

I've thought about it myself (NY to AZ) just for the sheer fact I'm not sure I want to drive cross country with a cat for 5-6 days...

I've never shipped a car myself though.
I shipped my car when I moved out here. Last summer, it was cheaper to ship it than to drive it given the price of gas. I paid $800 to have my car shipped from NYC to AZ. Then I paid $200+ to fly out here with my cats on Southwest airlines. Totally worth it.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:49 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,979,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallas_Athena79 View Post
I shipped my car when I moved out here. Last summer, it was cheaper to ship it than to drive it given the price of gas. I paid $800 to have my car shipped from NYC to AZ. Then I paid $200+ to fly out here with my cats on Southwest airlines. Totally worth it.
I'd actually rather drive, because I like to experience the landscape all the way down. Plus, I was going to visit my cousin in Albuquerque along the way.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I'd actually rather drive, because I like to experience the landscape all the way down. Plus, I was going to visit my cousin in Albuquerque along the way.
Ok. So drive... what's the problem then? What kind of answers are you looking for people to tell you?

Old 10-12-2012, 12:03 AM

339 posts, read 934,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallas_Athena79 View Post
Interesting info...thanks. I'm getting quotes now for $1100-$1200 from Long Island. May I ask who you used to ship your car and were there any problems?

Also, how was it taking your cats on a plane? Did you sedate them? Any unforeseen problems or any advice you can give me for flying with a cat? Never done it before...

Old 10-12-2012, 01:10 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,734,589 times
Quote:
Yes they are everywhere and hundreds of people are killed by them every day. That's why so many people here are encouraging you to come on down: we need more cannon fodder.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:05 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,441,929 times
Quote:
Well you know, it's just that natural feeling of having last minute doubts, with any major decision in life, especially when it means quitting your job with no job lined up, and being wicked far from family!
It is a big decision, but as mentioned, it seems like you don't want to move and are just making excuses and trying to convince yourself not to, and you seem to have already changed your mind. I'd say just make a decision. You have more savings than anyone could ask for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area