Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 05:09 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,493,263 times

Advertisements

I wish you the best of luck!

Old 10-09-2012, 11:01 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,979,667 times
More questions...

I just had a doctor's visit today with a doctor who used to live in AZ for 8 yrs (in Chandler). She said that the hiking paths at the parks are extremely traveled to the point that it doesn't feel natural anymore. Is this true? And do the parks and hiking trails get crowded? If so, that would **** me off. I like hiking without seeing people often. Just me and nature. Also, is the city of Phoenix and metro area noisy and crowded in general? And, is the traffic a real concern? I hope it's nothing like DC, LA or Atlanta!

Other than that, she really enjoyed talking about AZ and said it was a great experience, coming from Connecticut. She said that one time she was in a grocery store and met 4 CT transplants within a half hour..wow!

Old 10-09-2012, 11:06 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,734,589 times
What? You haven't moved yet?

As a former Hartford county resident, just take the plunge. None of this area's issues are anywhere near as bad as CT, ESPECIALLY the Hartford area.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:42 AM

357 posts, read 712,671 times
You are full of questions, just get here already to enjoy the amazing winter!

But to answer your question, the in town hiking paths can get extremely crowded. If you want a hike within 20 minutes of downtown Phoenix, yes there will be lots of people. If you want it to just be you and nature you're going to have to drive outside of town. Go to Google Maps and take a look at where Camelback Mountain, Piestewa Peak, North Mountain, and South Mountain are. They are all surrounded by literally thousands of people in each direction. They are popular because they are the closest to people's homes.

You may want to look at this thread just to realize exactly how big Phoenix is:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...e-how-big.html

Yes, there is tons of traffic, we have 4 million people in the Phoenix Metro area. It's nothing like LA but it's not good. That's why it is so important to get a short term rental, figure out where you're going to be working, then decide where to live permanently.

If you do searches on this board you can find plenty of information on every type of hike, traffic, scorpions, etc. Previous threads on these specific topics will be a much better resource for you.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:38 PM

890 posts, read 2,282,786 times
I don't hike in town because of the large numbers of people. I like to let my dogs of their leashes and not run into hundreds of people on the same trail. McDowell Mountain Regional Park is a straight shot up the 89 from my house and is never that crowded, and besides seeing a couple houses from the outer trails and the campsite in the middle, it feels like you are walking in open desert. I love that place. The Superstitions and White Tank are also located on the edges of the metro and are similarly less crowded. Plus you are within 2 hours of Payson, Prescott, and Tucson if you feel like driving a bit for a weekend hike. Hiking trail index since 1996! There are wilderness areas around the state you can hike into if you have good route-finding abilities where you can hike and literally see no one the entire time.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:41 PM

3,903 posts, read 4,556,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Oh I'm 100% certain I wouldn't even consider LA or anywhere in CA for that matter. It's simply way too expensive. I already lived in NYC and it was WAY too expensive! I want cheap, quality living.
I live in Orange County, Ca. and yes, it's pretty expensive here! We have a 1 bedroom apartment, but we're rarely, if ever, cooped up because of the weather.

If my hubby didn't have the secure job that he also loves, we'd consider Sacramento, Ca. Cost of Living is lower, and has some real fun areas like Midtown, the Wharf etc. It's very diverse, and voted the most integrated city in the U.S. (Don't know too much about their hiring environment in your field though)
We're also attracted to it because we love getting away for weekends, and Sacramento is surrounded by awesome places a few hours away like the Bay area and San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, the Sierras, Shasta, etc.

BTW, here's a COL tool I like to play with...

Cost of Living Wizard | Salary.com

It's pretty general, so take it with a grain of salt. According to this, the COL living in Sac, is slightly higher than Phoenix, but the pay is better.

However, it sounds like your set on Phoenix... you'll be close to one of my favorite places ever, Sedona!
p.s., if you have sinus problems (I do too) you'll want to buy yourself a sinus rinse kit. Even though it's dry, it's also very dusty there, and I'd start to have sinus and allergy issues whenever we'd drive into Arizona when to visit my uncle.

Anyway, you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and you have savings. If you move out in November, you may be able to get a quick seasonal job somewhere while you start contacting recruiters and such. I did have to laugh when you asked if 28 was "too old"! (People move around this country all the time and at every age!)

Good luck to you and please keep us posted!

Cheers!

Old 10-09-2012, 03:34 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Some of the closer in trails, like South Mountain Park, (but not all the trails there), Piestewa Peak and Camelback Mountain can be crowded in good hiking weather. But, there are lots of other places to go, as some other posters have indicated. McDowell Mountain, the Superstitions, the White Tanks, Spur Cross and some of the other areas out by Cave Creek, are much less crowded.

I don't find the metro area to be "noisy and crowded" at all. While I appreciate your doing your due diligence, it still feels a little like you are looking for reasons, some of them on very minor issues, not to make this move.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:28 PM

Another question....

Is PHX a fast paced, moderate paced or slow paced metro? And how does it compare to Hartford, CT metro?

Old 10-10-2012, 01:38 AM

1,112 posts, read 4,002,729 times
Regarding your earlier post. No, I'm not trying to dissuade you. These are things I would want to know if I were considering a place to move. Not trying to come off rude or anything. Sorry if that was the impression you got.

The trails closer in DO get very crowded. Hiking camelback in the middle of town, it can be impossible just to find a parking spot on nice days! It's frustrating. The benefit of Phoenix is that it's a GREAT jumping off point for the rest of Arizona. An hour's drive from town and you can be the only person for miles, if you want to be. Lots of great hidden treasure spots. Friday, I drove to Flagstaff, hiked Humphreys Peak, the tallest point in Arizona (12,637ft) and made it back to town in time for dinner. Phoenix is one of the few places where something like this is doable.

Phoenix is a fairly large place though. 4.3 million people in the metro area, it doesn't feel like a small town. It does feel small for its size though. If you find the right location, where you're close to work, and all the stores you need.. it can be pretty convenient. You almost forget you're in a major metro area until you need the services of one - and they're right there. Nice if that's what you want.

We DO have traffic here. It can get pretty gnarly at times, but is nowhere near as frustrating as DC or Atlanta.

As far as pace is concerned, Phoenix is a city in transition. Southwestern cities are, by nature, slow paced. This used to be the case in Phoenix. As it has grown, however, Phoenix has taken on the characteristics of all the people that moved here from somewhere else. It depends on who you encounter, mostly. Services are fairly prompt in most industries. If you've ever heard of "New Mexico Time" or something similar, it's nothing like that. Things happen when they need to happen, and you'll rarely be waiting all day for anything. Food service is quick and fairly friendly.

You will notice though that the east valley has a much faster pace than the west valley. I'm sure this will change as the west valley develops, but it is still a bit more rural in nature than the east valley. Might be what you're looking for if you want a slower pace!

Old 10-10-2012, 08:23 AM

For those of you who live far from family back east, how do you cope with that? Do you ever feel sad or lonely? Do you get used to it? I'm fairly close to my family. I see them about once a month, but I'm so sick of living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area