Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2012, 01:08 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times

Advertisements

I am a 28-year old single, gay male who has become extremely depressed living in the Hartford, CT area for 26 years of my life. My lease ends next month and I have been contemplating for four years now about moving out of state again. I lived in NYC for 2 yrs after college. I have a master's degree in accounting with 5 yrs of experience in taxation.

My plan would be to allow my lease to terminate on Oct 31 here and give my 2-week notice on Monday, so that my last day of work is Oct 12. Then, I would hire a moving truck company to transport all of my furniture and belongings (one large truck should be enough) from here to Phoenix and drop it all off in storage. In the meantime, I would drive myself down there and stay in hotels for about a week, until I find a nice apartment to rent, for under $1,100. If the property manager won't rent to me without seeing proof of employment, I will offer to pay the entire lease term in cash up front (I have about $26K saved up). Then, once the apartment is secured, I will move my belongings from the storage depot into the apartment and start living like a normal person. Then, I will begin looking for a job that pays at least $62K and once I land a job I'll be all set and settled!

What do you think of this plan? Is it too risky? Is it doable? I have visited the Scottsdale area once, five years ago, for four days. I loved the PHX area in general. Thought it was beautiful and I love the heat. I have been searching for jobs online lately, and unfortunately it doesn't seem like there are any, if at all, jobs in my field, at my experience level, which is shocking for a huge metro area.

Thoughts?

Old 09-29-2012, 01:17 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Don't move here without a job lined up.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:29 PM

153 posts, read 156,509 times
Why would you move anywhere without a job? I'd apply and commute as needed until I had one locked down.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 314guy View Post
Why would you move anywhere without a job? I'd apply and commute as needed until I had one locked down.
Because employers are not willing to invite someone for an interview if they are not local to the area. It's tough. But if I moved there first, then I would have an AZ address, and they would take me more seriously and maybe care to interview me. From my experience, I never hear back from job applications that are farther than 2 hours away from my current address.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:37 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
It's never wise to move anywhere without securing a job first ... that should be top priority for anybody who wants to settle in a nice area. The only exception to this rule would be retirees who no longer have to work, or those who already have enough of a savings to live on for a while. Sorry, but $26,000 would not be enough of a savings to live on for very long.

Job hunting online is often not the best way to go. When moving from another city/state/region, it's best to have connections in the field you are interested in. There are networking groups you can join which can lead to good job opportunities. Accounting positions here can pay very well, but you often have to find the right company, or sometimes even be self employed for a while until you can get into an established firm. The economic downturn has stifled job growth in many fields, including accounting ... and that's likely the reason you are having a difficult time finding a job that pays what your salary expectations are.

You may be depressed where you are now, but it's never any fun to move someplace without a decent job, and having to pound the pavement looking for work. That alone can be very depressing. I have known a few people who have fallen in this situation ... they see Phoenix as some kind of utopia because it's sunny & warm much of the year, but then they become malcontented with the entire place when they can't find work and are living in a not so nice part of town. Wanting to move here because it's "beautiful" shouldn't be tops on your list. There are other things which are MUCH more important. Remember, you can't pay the bills or find a place to live with "beautiful weather".

Old 09-29-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
It's never wise to move anywhere without securing a job first ... that should be top priority for anybody who wants to settle in a nice area. The only exception to this rule would be retirees who no longer have to work, or those who already have enough of a savings to live on for a while. Sorry, but $26,000 would not be enough of a savings to live on for very long.

Job hunting online is often not the best way to go. When moving from another city/state/region, it's best to have connections in the field you are interested in. There are networking groups you can join which can lead to good job opportunities. Accounting positions here can pay very well, but you often have to find the right company, or sometimes even be self employed for a while until you can get into an established firm. The economic downturn has stifled job growth in many fields, including accounting ... and that's likely the reason you are having a difficult time finding a job that pays what your salary expectations are.

You may be depressed where you are now, but it's never any fun to move someplace without a decent job, and having to pound the pavement looking for work. That alone can be very depressing. I have known a few people who have fallen in this situation ... they see Phoenix as some kind of utopia because it's sunny & warm much of the year, but then they become malcontented with the entire place when they can't find work and are living in a not so nice part of town. Wanting to move here because it's "beautiful" shouldn't be tops on your list. There are other things which are MUCH more important. Remember, you can't pay the bills or find a place to live with "beautiful weather".
Well, I have never gotten a job through networking. In the accounting field, I have always gotten a job either through applying online or through a recruiter. Never by networking. But I leave all options on the table. I don't understand how networking is the ideal way to do it. It's not like our network contacts have jobs waiting for us, unless those contacts are recruiters or hiring managers within a company. I never understood the whole networking thing. But anyway, a recruiter or online application has always worked great for me. I'm always having to decline interviews, because of it.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:50 PM

153 posts, read 156,509 times
I think I've had to network to get just about every job that I've ever had. I've never heard of someone not being interviewed because on an address. Explain your situation in the interview and you shouldn't have any issues. Moving anywhere with no place to stay and no source of income is foolish.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:55 PM

606 posts, read 1,606,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
It's never wise to move anywhere without securing a job first ...
Valley Native makes a lot of good points, the above being the best. However, of course you could do it and possibly be successful, just realize that it will be difficult and you may be out of work for longer than you anticipated and then you may finally be forced to take a crappy job which is not in your field and for less money than you feel you deserve; at least in the interim to pay the bills.

I moved like this in 2001 to Phoenix with only $3000 reserves, however I had to pass through many hardships to arrive to the lifestyle I have now. And when I came in 2001, the economy was going like gangbusters.

I don't mean to discourage you, as you can do whatever you put your mind to, just realize that you could be setting yourself up to go through some difficult times.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:08 PM

683 posts, read 2,651,680 times
Do it! I moved to Phoenix in 1985 when I was 23 and only had $500. I had a job making $4.25 an hour within three days. I never made a lot of money those first few years, but they were some of the best years of my life.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:28 PM

344 posts, read 813,087 times
Yup, your plan makes sense and is extremely viable. It's more or less what I and many have done, with no regrets. Sure, there's a large conservative/older demo on here that will tell anyone who will listen never to consider it without a job, which is often (1) unrealistic and (2) might take forever.

The economy is slowly healing, and if taking the plunge you should be willing to look extensively before and after your arrival, and take less than the ideal job initially if necessary. No big deal. Less chance of getting something until here but it might happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area