Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 04:50 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,422,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I agree that Connecticut is a beautiful state. But it's lacking for a young, single gay guy like myself. Most of the guys end up moving to nearby NYC or Boston, which I refuse to move to, since they're super expensive. So my main reason for moving is for social/dating purposes. Plus, there is a lack of young people in CT. And a lack of attractive people lol. It's depressing.

Ha! There was a LOT of beautiful men in Minneapolis when I lived there ....they were all gay too
Welcome to AZ!

Old 10-01-2012, 07:53 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,026,745 times
I'm jealous of your situation. I'm about a year out from a bachelor's in accounting and I'd love to move to Phoenix.

Quote:
I think I am going to make it happen! All of these comments are encouraging and it seems like $26K is plenty to move on. I also have no debt and my car is fully paid off, new, and a master's degree!

Old 10-01-2012, 09:41 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,979,667 times
Now I'm starting to get concerned that PHX will be too hot for me. I mean, I LOVE hot weather, but only when I'm dressed in shorts and a t-shirt. NOT in long-sleeved business clothes. Even 80 degrees (with humidity) with work clothes is an awful experience. The only time I ever visited PHX was in January when it was like 68 degrees. It was phenomenal. But I noticed that it's over 100 for 4 months straight?! That's one third of the year! I mean, do people even go outside like that? Is it safe? That's the thing though. I like 4 seasons with hot summers and cold winters, but I still prefer heat over cold any day. Should I prevent myself from moving there because of this? How do people deal with that kind of heat?!

Old 10-01-2012, 11:07 PM

6 posts, read 27,140 times
Quote:
Now I'm starting to get concerned that PHX will be too hot for me. I mean, I LOVE hot weather, but only when I'm dressed in shorts and a t-shirt. NOT in long-sleeved business clothes. Even 80 degrees (with humidity) with work clothes is an awful experience. The only time I ever visited PHX was in January when it was like 68 degrees. It was phenomenal. But I noticed that it's over 100 for 4 months straight?! That's one third of the year! I mean, do people even go outside like that? Is it safe? That's the thing though. I like 4 seasons with hot summers and cold winters, but I still prefer heat over cold any day. Should I prevent myself from moving there because of this? How do people deal with that kind of heat?!

I think you just get used to the heat. I'm moving in a week and mentally prepared for it.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:32 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
Oh, for heaven's sake. We get little breaks in the temps, but yes, we do see 100 plus regularly over a four month period. For a good part of that, the air is quite dry, it gets more humid in July and August, but not as humid as other parts of the country. Yes, people go outside. Yes, it's SAFE to go about your normal business during the day. Most change their schedules to do more strenuous outdoor activity in the early morning or evening. You will adapt, or you won't. Air conditioning, and hydration, are your friends. No one can tell you that you should not move here because it gets hot and you won't like it. It's an entirely personal thing. Many businesses go to a summer casual attire, without ties and long sleeves.

You seem to be thinking of more and more reasons why you perhaps shouldn't move here. For someone who was ready to pack their bags (worrying about not being able to vote in the election in a month if you moved), it's a little strange, but it is better to think about these things before you move. Perhaps you need to not be in such a hurry, and consider both here and other options you might have.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:12 AM

890 posts, read 2,282,786 times
95 and humid in Ohio was 10x worse than 115 with no humidity here. And LOL, yes it is safe to go outside, as long as you stay hydrated and USE SUNSCREEN if you will be outside more than 15 mns . I wouldn't recommend being like those crazy people who go jogging at 1 pm in 110 degree heat, though. Also, I don't think work clothes will be a problem, do you plan on walking or biking to work in your professional attire? You would mostly be in your car or at work, which would both be air conditioned.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:01 AM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
Quote:
This year, we've had 100 degree weather off & on for almost six months! It started early (April), and it was 103 on October 1st with more of the same in the forecast for the next few days. So it varies from year to year. Some years it will be in the 100s for four months, and other years (like this one) will have longer heat periods.

As far as it possibly being too hot for your tastes, that all depends on your tolerance level. In my experience, most newcomers either love the heat or don't mind it. Old timers, long term residents, and natives often grow sick of it. A good part of it depends on a person's health too. I'm one who HATES the summer heat, and I need to be cool for health reasons. Even 103 in October with low humidity can be a little too much for me to handle. Besides, by now, most of us want a taste of fall, and for summer to be over with!

Old 10-02-2012, 08:51 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,704,782 times
Default Don't move anywhere

Quote:
Now I'm starting to get concerned that PHX will be too hot for me.
You're ready to move and have all these things planned out and now you're concerned that the hottest major metropolitan area in the country is going to be too hot? Seriously, are you here to get information or just to run people around? What is it that you are looking for in a new city?

Quote:
But I noticed that it's over 100 for 4 months straight?! That's one third of the year! I mean, do people even go outside like that?
I lived back east and people go outside in the 9 months of crappy weather that you have out there. Doesn't seem to stop them, does it?

Quote:
Is it safe? That's the thing though. I like 4 seasons with hot summers and cold winters, but I still prefer heat over cold any day. Should I prevent myself from moving there because of this? How do people deal with that kind of heat?!
I don't think you should move anywhere until you figure out exactly what it is you are looking for.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:43 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,979,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
You're ready to move and have all these things planned out and now you're concerned that the hottest major metropolitan area in the country is going to be too hot? Seriously, are you here to get information or just to run people around? What is it that you are looking for in a new city?

I lived back east and people go outside in the 9 months of crappy weather that you have out there. Doesn't seem to stop them, does it?

I don't think you should move anywhere until you figure out exactly what it is you are looking for.
I may have exaggerated a bit. I am definitely a heat lover, make no mistake. Other people made comments that worried me though, such as having to stay indoors 24/7 for 4 months straight. But I guess it's the same here in CT, where I basically stay indoors for 5-7 months straight anyway. It's just cold instead of heat. Just one extreme vs. another. And the lack of humidity certainly helps.

I think there are health benefits for me, to living in AZ. I am very deficient in Vitamin D, due to the lack of sunlight up here in New England. So the sun would help. Also, I have always had lifelong sinus/congestion problems, likely due to the dampness here. When I visited AZ though, I could breath so much easier, with no congestion in my nose...I loved it.

It's not the heat that bothers me. It's more the safety about being outdoors in the extreme heat. I love the outdoors.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:47 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,441,929 times
I think you would be golden moving with that much savings. Just plan it right. I'm moving (although not Phoenix) in the same situation but with only about half that. You're fortunate enough to have that much savings, so I say just go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area