Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,468,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Another question....

Is PHX a fast paced, moderate paced or slow paced metro? And how does it compare to Hartford, CT metro?
This question is always difficult to answer, as it's all relative, and those terms mean different things to different people. Generally, I would say it is relatively slow paced, especially if you compare it to large East Coast cities.

Quote:
For those of you who live far from family back east, how do you cope with that? Do you ever feel sad or lonely? Do you get used to it? I'm fairly close to my family. I see them about once a month, but I'm so sick of living here.
This is an entirely personal situation. EVERYONE feels sad or lonely sometimes, with family around or not. What works for one person in terms of dealing with far away family may not work for you. You won't see them as often, but technology helps with that, now, with things like Skype and Facetime.

I think you need to either make this move now, or not, if you are so unhappy where you are. There are too many things that you cannot know for yourself, no matter how many questions you ask, until you actually try living here. Whether it ultimately works out or not, it's not the end of the world.

Last edited by observer53; 10-10-2012 at 11:05 AM..

Old 10-10-2012, 09:17 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,508,616 times
Quote:
My only remaining hesitation at this point is if Phoenix metro will be too conservative for me. I don't get the impression that its as conservative as some of the southern states like Georgia or Tennessee. It doesn't seem like a very religious area, either. These are the things I'm trying to avoid. Here in CT, religion and church attendance isn't really important or discussed among people. And I am able to admit that I'm gay to other people and co-workers with no problem. It would be nice if Phoenix is similar. I just don't want to live near people who believe that I'm going to hell because of my sexual orientation. I'm not an obvious gay person though. I dress and act like a straight guy for the most part.
People here are pretty tolerant, and more voters are registering independent so it's pretty varied and middle-of-the-road.

In a big metropolitan area like this not too many people are going to care if someone is GLBT, liberal, conservative, or what church someone belongs to, or if they are non-believers.

It's only the knuckleheaded neanderthals in the legislature and MCSO who are the problem, and they're the main reason Phoenix has a reputation of being ultraconservative. The majority of the citizens aren't that way though.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
You know what....other peoples' political views shouldn't influence my decision to move to a place or not. Besides, I'm an independent who happens to be voting for Obama this time. In 2008 I voted for McCain. So, I'm not going to worry about these things. Plus, AZ isn't even that conservative, according to the polls. As of today, Romney has 50% in the polls and Obama has 43%. That means 43% of AZ voters are voting for Obama. So, I feel comfortable with that. Besides, the state has been evolving toward becoming more centrist, which is a good thing IMO. And if I move there, it will only further that cause lol.
It really is pretty centrist with a slight conservative lean, and there are more registered republicans than democrats but it's not anything like some of the southern states.

I'm a registered democrat with a strong independent streak and I haven't had any issues, even when I put an Obama bumper sticker on my car in 2008.

It's only the extremists on both sides, the in-your-face types, who are the problem. Thankfully they are in the minority, and you'll find those loudmouths anywhere you go.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Another question....

Is PHX a fast paced, moderate paced or slow paced metro? And how does it compare to Hartford, CT metro?
Depends largely on where you came from.

I don't know how fast-paced Hartford is, but since it's an east coast city with influences from New York, you might find Phoenix a little laid-back, that's how many people from the east think of the lifestyle here.

I think Phoenix is pretty fast-paced but I'm from a small town in Michigan, so go figure.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:32 AM

63 posts, read 265,117 times
Default Some questions for you

Quote:
For those of you who live far from family back east, how do you cope with that? Do you ever feel sad or lonely? Do you get used to it? I'm fairly close to my family. I see them about once a month, but I'm so sick of living here.
Just how does your family feel about you moving across country? Have you discussed this with them? Have you ever been away from family for an extended period of time? You posted that you lived in NYC at one time for a short while, but that's very close to CT. Do you tend do get homesick, do you think Skype will cut it for you??? Have you asked yourself these questions yet?

You are sick of living in CT and bored with your job, no doubt, but did you actually give notice and is October 12 (this Friday) your last day at work like you posted you were going to do in one of your original posts? And did you already give the 30-day notice at your apartment? Where are YOU personally at in this quest? Are you going to give it another go in CT, or have you already hired your source of moving your belongings? Have you found temporary lodgings here yet?

You can keep this thread going, asking 1000 more questions, but bottom line is, no one can tell you exactly what you want to hear. Either you take the plunge and move, or you stay put and reevaluate if Arizona is for you. There are travel DVD's you can check out at the library showing Arizona's sights (or watch them online thru your library), Arizona Highways magazine is a good go-to source, there are also hiking clubs in Phoenix that have websites where you can actually see youtube videos of various trails they hike here and in several other areas of Arizona, and have you contacted the local GLAD chapter here to get straight from the source info/data about the gay life/gay issues here? Making a move across country is for sure a big deal, I've personally done it 4 times over the years for jobs, and there were good and bad things about each placed I relocated to. Peace.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:35 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,604,728 times
If you're looking for a place that's liberal, move to the Tempe area or the Old Town Scottsdale area. There tend to be younger people living there and ASU has a huge presence in North Tempe.
I have gay friends who live here and they happen to live in Tempe and Chandler (another nice town).
I haven't been out much to downtown Phoenix but I can tell you that Tempe and Scottsdale are pretty happening places.... I would guess moreso than Phoenix :-)
I have met Democrats, Republicans, and tons of Independents (like me... vote for Gary Johnson! :-) ) and I have never had anyone force their political beliefs on me. Same thing goes for religion. Prior to moving here, I didn't really know what a Mormon was. I thought they were protestants - just like Episcopalians and Presbyterians. But even now I live next door to an LDS church and work with a few LDS members and the only time religion ever came up was because *I* brought it up asking them questions about the Mormon church, etc.
Coming from the same area as you, I am extremely happy I made the choice to move here. The heat doesn't bother me... I tend to stay inside in the summer. The people have been very nice and polite. You'll find good and bad people everywhere. If the heat bothers you, there are places in AZ that are cooler, such as Flagstaff up north and Tucson down south (Tucson due to elevation).
Connect with recruiters and temp agencies that can place you here in the valley. That way you can find something solid.
Change is always good! Don't be afraid. Change helps you gain new perspectives. If you move here and decide you don't like it, you can always move elsewhere!

Old 10-10-2012, 12:13 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,981,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterburn View Post
Just how does your family feel about you moving across country? Have you discussed this with them? Have you ever been away from family for an extended period of time? You posted that you lived in NYC at one time for a short while, but that's very close to CT. Do you tend do get homesick, do you think Skype will cut it for you??? Have you asked yourself these questions yet?

You are sick of living in CT and bored with your job, no doubt, but did you actually give notice and is October 12 (this Friday) your last day at work like you posted you were going to do in one of your original posts? And did you already give the 30-day notice at your apartment? Where are YOU personally at in this quest? Are you going to give it another go in CT, or have you already hired your source of moving your belongings? Have you found temporary lodgings here yet?

You can keep this thread going, asking 1000 more questions, but bottom line is, no one can tell you exactly what you want to hear. Either you take the plunge and move, or you stay put and reevaluate if Arizona is for you. There are travel DVD's you can check out at the library showing Arizona's sights (or watch them online thru your library), Arizona Highways magazine is a good go-to source, there are also hiking clubs in Phoenix that have websites where you can actually see youtube videos of various trails they hike here and in several other areas of Arizona, and have you contacted the local GLAD chapter here to get straight from the source info/data about the gay life/gay issues here? Making a move across country is for sure a big deal, I've personally done it 4 times over the years for jobs, and there were good and bad things about each placed I relocated to. Peace.
My mother supports my decision, if I do decide to move down there. She'll miss me, but she is welcome to have me visit anytime I wish. I told her I could visit 2-3 times a year. My plan was to give my 30 day notice at my apartment on Oct 31. I would give my work notice on Oct 19, for two weeks, ending the job on Nov 2. Then, I would actually make the move in mid Nov. This is good, because it gives me time to say goodbye to family and also vote for Obama on Nov 6.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:58 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,981,625 times
But wait.....now what about rattlesnakes? How often are they around? I like to go hiking and don't want to see any or get attacked by any. How much of a risk is this?

Also, Phoenix and Arizona in general is a big brown desert, right? I mean, I think it's beautiful, but does that get depressing, to see brown all the time and no forest? Sorry if that sounds weird, but where I'm from, it's 100% forested and green. Kind of like you're driving between a wall of trees. How do Northeastern transplants cope with this change?

Old 10-10-2012, 05:07 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,737,552 times
Quote:
It's a loooooonng way back to the East Coast to visit friends and family from Arizona! Being that you are really close to your family those visits will not be as frequent. However, since we've moved out here we have noticed that many of our family members were excited to visit us in the desert! Some (my mom) actually relocated out here too!

Living in the west is much different, in my opinion, than living in the East. Hartford is the capitol of CT and one of the larger cities, but it doesn't compare in size to Phoenix or the other cities out here. That being the case, be prepared to drive...a lot! It's not a negative thing, but a way of life. The good thing is that the roads out here are generally in much better condition than back east.

My suggestion would be to visit the area and get a feel for it. Be honest with yourself about whether this is a place you can truly see yourself living. For some it's great, for others they can't wait to get out of here. It all depends on where you are in your life and what you are looking for.

If you come with an open mind, though, I think you'll do just fine.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:17 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,735,410 times
Quote:
But wait.....now what about rattlesnakes? How often are they around? I like to go hiking and don't want to see any or get attacked by any. How much of a risk is this?

Also, Phoenix and Arizona in general is a big brown desert, right? I mean, I think it's beautiful, but does that get depressing, to see brown all the time and no forest? Sorry if that sounds weird, but where I'm from, it's 100% forested and green. Kind of like you're driving between a wall of trees. How do Northeastern transplants cope with this change?

How do we cope? I grab a cold one and go sit by my pool and think how great it is to be saving more than $15k a year in property taxes and not living in a state like CT that owes scores of BILLIONS in pension and health benefit obligations. But that's just me. Oh, and if I want to see stuff like the coast or the Grand Canyon I go down to the gas station and fill up with some of our cheap gas and hit the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area