Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 01:37 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well I don't want people to blow things out of proportion. I am still very much interested in the idea of moving there. With that said....I had one other question...

I noticed that a lot of people in this forum refer to highways as "freeways." And they also call numbered routes, "the 101." Now to me, that's just different/weird. I mean, can't I just say "101?" Like as in "take 101 to get to destination whatever." Or, "take the highway." Does everyone down there talk like that? I'm only familiar with words like highway, parkway, expressway and turnpike. There are NO freeways here in New England.

Also, I discussed my potential plans to move there with my mother a few nights ago. I was surprised that she supports me, even with having no job. She told me not to stress out about it and just follow my heart lol, as long as I don't completely deplete my savings. I told her that I'd aim to have $20,000 remaining, after I make the move and secure a job, which means I have $6,000 to play with. I then promised her that I'd visit about 3 times per year and stay at her house for a few days, each time. Sigh...I don't know.....
If you say "101" as opposed to "the 101", no one will care. We do have more than one freeway, so you can't just say "take the freeway" (there was a time when you pretty much COULD say that here, but it's long gone). Freeways and parkways here are pretty much known by their numbers. You'll get used to it.

Time to make up your mind. As I've already told you, no matter how many questions you ask, there are many things you can't possibly know in a way that's meaningful to you unless you move here and experience this place for yourself.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:50 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,494 times
Regarding the landscape question, Phoenix is in the desert, yes. Arizona as a whole is greatly varied from place to place. The northern most part of the state is high desert. North Central is home to the largest ponderosa pine forest in North America. South central is desert, with the southeastern highlands turning into plains and grasslands. You can find almost any type of landscape in Arizona.

All that's missing is a beach!

You can also find the different climate types associated with each of these landscapes. The high country gets ample amounts of snow and has fairly good skiing, only a short trek from Phoenix.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:33 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,358 times
Quote:
But wait.....now what about rattlesnakes? How often are they around? I like to go hiking and don't want to see any or get attacked by any. How much of a risk is this?

Also, Phoenix and Arizona in general is a big brown desert, right? I mean, I think it's beautiful, but does that get depressing, to see brown all the time and no forest? Sorry if that sounds weird, but where I'm from, it's 100% forested and green. Kind of like you're driving between a wall of trees. How do Northeastern transplants cope with this change?
There are many topics about snakes, scorpions, insects, and other creepy creatures but I think there are too many of those threads, and the whole fear is overblown.

You might see them if you go hiking often but they usually try their best to avoid human contact, they only attack when they're threatened.

In the 16 years I lived here I never encountered a single rattlesnake, a scorpion, or a gila monster.

Phoenix is situated in a desert setting and it can take some time to become acclimated to the environment, especially the summertime heat, lack of greenery and shade, and limited rainfall.

Maybe you should come out here for a month or two and take time to see the city, drive around, talk to people, and see if you might like it here. It's certainly a different environment from the east coast.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:44 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
There are many topics about snakes, scorpions, insects, and other creepy creatures but I think there are too many of those threads, and the whole fear is overblown.

You might see them if you go hiking often but they usually try their best to avoid human contact, they only attack when they're threatened.

In the 16 years I lived here I never encountered a single rattlesnake, a scorpion, or a gila monster.

Phoenix is situated in a desert setting and it can take some time to become acclimated to the environment, especially the summertime heat, lack of greenery and shade, and limited rainfall.

Maybe you should come out here for a month or two and take time to see the city, drive around, talk to people, and see if you might like it here. It's certainly a different environment from the east coast.
Lol there is no way I have a month or two to spend down there. Are you kidding? That will cost a fortune.

Now what is this gila monster thing people keep mentioning? I googled it and they look cute, not scary. Are they dangerous to make human contact with? Do they bite?

Old 10-11-2012, 11:06 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Lol there is no way I have a month or two to spend down there. Are you kidding? That will cost a fortune.

Now what is this gila monster thing people keep mentioning? I googled it and they look cute, not scary. Are they dangerous to make human contact with? Do they bite?
You are not likely to EVER see one in the wild, and in the highly unlikely event you saw one, they are not aggressive. I've never seen one in the wild in 50 plus years here. They are kind of an inside joke here in the forum. Please stop worrying about things that really don't matter.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:11 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,358 times
Quote:

I haven't seen a gila monster except in pictures so I don't know much about them.

I just know they can be found in the desert and they can bite if threatened.

All these desert creatures seem to be huge worries for the would-be transplants but I think they should be the least of anyone's fears.

I'd be more worried about traffic, crime, finding a nice affordable place to live, and getting a job.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:11 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,765,818 times
Quote:

Sheesh it isn't that serious while your at it we have coyotes, javalinas, black widows, bobcats, mountain lions, scorpions, manbearpig,gays,Mormons, illegals, drop houses, hell I'm sure there are hundred more. Most you won't ever encounter some you will. It's time to man up and stop bein scared of everything. I bet with all you have built up you will hate it here no matter what. You seem like that type of person just from this thread.

Last edited by Kimballette; 10-11-2012 at 07:00 PM..

Old 10-11-2012, 11:40 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:

Now you're stretching it, Nep.

Just about any critter will bite to protect himself if cornered or attacked, yes, even the lovable family dog or cat. There are critters everywhere and Lizards of all types, including Gila Monsters, serve a purpose . . . THEY EAT BUGS. I relocated to Southern Arizona about 15 years ago and have yet to be attacked by a snake, lizard, coyote, Javelina, vulture, owl or even a Gaggle of Geese but I was attacked by a Chihuahua in New York State a few years ago. ! ! ! ! ! !

Unfortunately, now I'm beginning to agree with many other posters on here that you are desperately searching for excuses NOT to move to Arizona.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:54 PM

53 posts, read 97,197 times
Wow, you should be feeling pretty popular right about now, Nep, having 16 pages worth of responses on one little “should I or shouldn’t I” topic – makes me wonder if I should be jealous that mine only reached 5 pages…

All kidding aside, I think you’re torturing yourself with doubt. You have MORE than enough information to make a decision – now you just have to do it. I know it’s a big, scary move. If you remember, I told you that I’m making it myself in December, without a job lined up first like you, but also with fewer savings than you, and a family in tow. If I can face the fear, so can you!

Good luck!

Old 10-11-2012, 05:23 PM

683 posts, read 2,651,680 times
Quote:

I see about a dozen gila monsters every summer. If they bite you, they don't let go. Their poison is mixed in with their saliva and they grind it into you with their teeth. You have to go to the emergency room to have them removed. Most people don't die though. I've only had one of them chase me.

Our biggest problem right now is with black widows, they've taken over our garage and back porch. A few years ago we had the same problem with tarantulas. Last year it was the poisonous toads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area